[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mobile Frame Hangar • View topic - Good Sets For Parts

Good Sets For Parts

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Re: Good Sets For Parts

Postby CalaveraJoe » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:46 pm

I just finished putting together the Minecraft set. It's super satisfying, and I'm highly amused that Steve and the Creeper are in 7p.The set has quite a few extra 1x1 plates and tiles for customization (and there's a couple of galleries around of folks who've combined multiple sets to make bigger worlds). All in all, it's a pretty rad set. Now though, I may see if I can source parts via BL for less than $35 a go.
CalaveraJoe
Talkative

Postby Mantisking » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:37 pm

-- A MFZ blog.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby CalaveraJoe » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:01 am

Truthfully, the scale of the set would be a little funny (as it is designed) for use as terrain. I'll see if I can find some time to get a pick of my Chub next to it so you can see what I mean. It's a neat set, really, but there's nothing special enough about it to warrant purchase of it unless you want it for the set it is. Frankly, I haven't really found many sets that are worth the price just for the parts. I'll admit Bricklink can be a pain, but you can wrack up some pretty impressive parts of piles for quite reasonable amounts of money.
CalaveraJoe
Talkative

Postby Ced23Ric » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:38 am

I did a PAB run, full tub, but when I compared PAB prices to BL, I came out +/- 0. Not worth my time, thusly. But that might be because we pay US$20 per tub (19% VAT) and BL is a fair amount cheaper in Europe.
Image - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby morganm » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:49 pm

morganm
Been Around The Block

Postby Ced23Ric » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:16 pm

Image - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby ferrelferret » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:03 pm

ferrelferret
Talkative

Postby morganm » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:19 pm

morganm
Been Around The Block

Postby CalaveraJoe » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:49 am

I recently picked up a large cup at a PAB wall because they had medium blue 1 x 2 bricks, which would work nicely for making cover walls. From talking with Ced on IRC, around 400 1x2 bricks is a good number to have on hand to make a bunch of cover. Over on BL, other than primary colors, you don't find many shops (in the US anyway) that have those quantities with a less than $0.04 per brick. I was able to cram 450 of the bricks plus, easily, 150 + of in dark bley, which puts me ahead of a BL order, but I happened to need / want those parts. Heck, you could probably cram in the neighborhood of 1000 of those tiles in a cup, which beats the heck out of the BL price for them, but this presumes you /need/ 1000 of them.

The walls are a complete crap shoot, sometimes they're a better bet than BL, not usually, however. The problem, of course, is the BL is an interface nightmare, especially for large / varied part orders. I've picked up a few cups recently, cause they happened to have parts I was after anyway, and I was able to shove enough in there to beat a BL order, but again, it's totally random.

I got lucky and found one dealer with +- 140 Travis bricks for $0.20 a piece, which is $0.15 less per brick than the Lego PAB (I've checked with the 5 different PAB walls near me and NONE have ever seen a travis brick in there that they could recall). That $21 in savings? MORE than covered the shipping from the 8 or 9 BL vendors, and then some.
CalaveraJoe
Talkative

Postby LowestFormOfWit » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:57 pm

I don't have a LEGO store near me, so BrickLink has been my savior. After getting used to the BL interface, and the power of wanted lists, I don't find shopping is that much of a hassle anymore. You just really have to look if you want a good price. Some people (usually those who know they can charge more because they have the higher quantity) just jack up prices for no other discernible reason (Sir Timothy's stands out as some of the worst pricing out of store that keep popping up on my Wanted List by Shop searches).

Other than that I'll source LEGO sets from Marshalls /Wal-Mart / K-Mart , as their clearance can sometimes beat the sweet spot per piece.
LowestFormOfWit
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Mantisking » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:05 am

-- A MFZ blog.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby ratch » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:20 am

i don't know if anyone posted this but i would love to get it xD

its $400 but 3152 pieces making it right under $.13 per piece. before taxes or shipping ofc.
just looking at the top of this thing you can see the massive amount of parts we could use.
it probably wouldn't be worth it considering the cost and the fact for what we do only about 30-40% of the pieces would get used.
ratch
Talkative

Postby Mantisking » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:54 pm

-- A MFZ blog.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby schoon » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:25 pm

looks like an amazing source of parts...
schoon
Site Admin

Postby Mantisking » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:29 pm

-- A MFZ blog.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Deathzero » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:43 pm

Sieg Zeon.
Deathzero
Been Around The Block

Postby OrangeKNight » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:41 pm

Oh man now I want to get one of those xD

Mike
KNightsArms - Leading Edge in Military Design

OrangeKNight
Talkative

Postby Roboslob » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:23 am

I think they're alittle too small to be the same scale. I'd increase the size by about a third too get it right. Still, I see loads of nice parts. Good find!
Roboslob
Talkative

Postby David Artman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:10 am

Wow, that IS a dense set! A little high on the plate count. But at 6¢ a piece, hard to complain....

(And 8P doors are almost exactly "stock" MF0 scale, assuming normal doors with normal head clearance, not "manor house doors".)
David Artman
Talkative

Postby JasonM » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:34 pm

I actually have this set and it really is fantastic - both for the parts and as a completed kit.

I'll take some photos hopefully this weekend of some frames next to the buildings and post them here.
JasonM
Newcomer

PreviousNext

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion