Good Sets For Parts

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Good Sets For Parts

Postby Mantisking » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:39 pm

Spinning off of the Where To Get Pieces topic, I figured I'd start a topic about regular Lego sets that provide useful parts for MFZ.

Here's what I've compiled so far:
X-Wing polybag.
AT-ST polybag.
AAT polybag.
Hallowe'en Spiders polybag.
Atlantis Octopus polybag.
Atlantis Mini-Sub polybag.
Star Wars Brickmaster.
Atlantis Brickmaster.
Star Wars 2011 Advent Calendar.
Ninjago Brickmaster.

I saw this one today, 40031 Bunny & Chick polybag. While there are some "enh" parts in the set, it has four Travis Bricks, two Headlight bricks, and some other good parts. It also has 52 pieces and retails for $4.99 USD, which means it falls into the $0.10 per part range which is right in the sweet spot. Also, it's a seasonal item so, if it stays past Easter it'll probably get marked down.

Another one that's good, but not in my usual price range for recommendation, is the 5767 Cool Cruiser. It has all the usual fiddly bits we love but, the thing that knocked my socks off was the two Trans-Clear Headlight bricks. Also it's supposedly on sale this week at Target for $21.99 USD.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Re: Good Sets For Parts

Postby schoon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:05 pm

Great suggestions, Mantis!

The X-Wing bag is a favorite of mine.
schoon
Site Admin

Postby Mantisking » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:06 pm

schoon wrote:Great suggestions, Mantis!

Thanks.

schoon wrote:The X-Wing bag is a favorite of mine.

I have one of them sitting on my living room table, unassembled. It was going to be a stocking stuffer for my nephew but he didn't want more Lego. :o
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Lanceman » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:46 am

Mantisking wrote: It was going to be a stocking stuffer for my nephew but he didn't want more Lego. :o

BLASPHEMY!
Lanceman
Newcomer

Postby Mantisking » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:49 am

Mantisking wrote: It was going to be a stocking stuffer for my nephew but he didn't want more Lego. :o
Lanceman wrote:BLASPHEMY!

I Know!

Oh, and I checked on that Cool Cruiser sale price at Target last night. It was no where near $21.99. I don't remember what price it was but, it was closer to 10% off than 46% off.
Last edited by Mantisking on Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:21 am

I almost forgot this one, 7977 Seabed Strider can be turned into three simple mechs.

As can be seen here.
Photo Sep 11, 7 10 01 PM by Cid Kraken, on Flickr.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby ferrelferret » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:07 pm

Pretty much any Star Wars set will yield useful parts.

I picked up these sets this week while waiting for my Pick-a-Brick order to arrive.

*EDIT*
Links are to Briklink

I wanted something to use right away, and these sets were on sell at Target. :D

~ferret~
ferrelferret
Talkative

Postby mchnzr » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:26 pm

I saw the Bunny and Chick polybag in the NYC lego store and once I saw the Travis bricks...it was over.

I've been checking back and they're not on sale yet, hopefully within the next week.
mchnzr
Young Gun

Postby MittenNinja » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:26 pm

I've found that some of the architecture series is phenomenal for getting a large chunk of tiles and cheese slopes. Including some in some hard to find colors. The Brandenburg Gate for example has a boatload of sand green cheese slopes.
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby Mantisking » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:06 pm

MittenNinja wrote:I've found that some of the architecture series is phenomenal for getting a large chunk of tiles and cheese slopes. Including some in some hard to find colors. The Brandenburg Gate for example has a boatload of sand green cheese slopes.

There have been some great pieces in some of the sets. But up until the second round of sets everything except the Whitehouse was way overpriced. The current run is as follows:
21010 Robie House = $0.09/piece
21011 Brandenburg Gate = $0.10/piece
21009 Farnsworth House = $0.11/piece
21012 Sydney Opera House = $0.15/piece.

Another reason I don't really like them is they're expensive. The Brandenburg gate is the cheapest of the current line. I like to recommend smaller sets that don't require a lot of investment for the amount of pieces you get.

The Lego MBA Kit #1 is another one to look at. It has a number of good parts, but is a bit pricey at $0.17/piece. The box does include a brick seperator and has a small sorting tray though. When you combine it with the subscription for Kits 2-6 is when it begins to shine. The Price Per comes down to $0.09 and you get a variety of new pieces. I wonder if you can just buy the Subscription?
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby jonbro » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:03 am

for those in the UK, you can get the atlantis brickmaster for 5 pounds here.

If you use the code AFAPRILFREE, you get free shipping. I got two, but I am wondering if I should have got more. They are going for double that on bricklink.
jonbro
Newcomer

Postby Mantisking » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:56 am

Someone mentioned the Star Wars STAP polybag on the FB group. I'll be adding it to my list of good sets for MFZ.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:19 pm

Keep your eyes open for the 30025 Clown Fish polybag. I picked it up today in the Five Below store near me. It has lots of orange pieces, slopes, clips, and other fun things.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby rabidsi » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:36 pm

jonbro wrote:for those in the UK, you can get the atlantis brickmaster for 5 pounds here.

If you use the code AFAPRILFREE, you get free shipping. I got two, but I am wondering if I should have got more. They are going for double that on bricklink.

Thanks for that Jon. I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment (couldn't afford to pile in on the kickstarter, but they seemed to be doing ok!) and have been ogling some of the sets looking for some good, cheap options for good starting points for someone who hasn't touched LEGO for about 15 years (probably still got boxes of the stuff sitting in my parents loft). A couple of these seemed like the best option for something immediate.

Now all I need is to add to it, wait for the rules release and try and find some people who might be interested in playing with me (hah!).
rabidsi
Newcomer

Postby jonbro » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:12 am

rabidsi wrote:A couple of these seemed like the best option for something immediate.

Now all I need is to add to it, wait for the rules release and try and find some people who might be interested in playing with me (hah!).

No problem! You probably won't be able to get more than one frame out of each, unless you are really clever. Even so, they are a really nice collection of strange parts. I was a little bit disappointed by how much packaging they came with, but I guess that is the cost of buying things new.

If you are strapped for money, I bet you could get the pieces to build a squad of the C6 series on brick link for < 10 dollars.
jonbro
Newcomer

Postby rabidsi » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:27 am

jonbro wrote:If you are strapped for money, I bet you could get the pieces to build a squad of the C6 series on brick link for < 10 dollars.

The C6 stuff looks OK for basic stuff or just getting a game going but they didn't get my juices flowing. I did a lot of building with lego up until around 15-16 or so and then space became an issue and the years mean that my collection is god knows where. I think I'm going to save up and do an order of basic frame components at some point in the future because I really like the look of some of Zizy's frames (that's the kind of stuff I want to mess with).

Also, I noticed the 7977 Seabed Strider is currently half price in a clearance sale at the offical LEGO webstore (UK at least). Might grab a couple of those at the same time as grabbing some components.
rabidsi
Newcomer

Postby hari sugarglider » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:03 pm

It's on sale again? Grr. I placed an order just a few days ago, it and another small Atlantis set were available while I was futzing with Pick A Brick, but had disappeared when it came time to finalise my order.

One interesting set which I picked up for cheap here in Australia (though it may have been a pricing error) was the Kokoriko board game. It has eight Travis bricks, some red clips and slopes, white 1x1 round plates with open studs, and thirty-three white 2x2 dome bricks.

I want to make some sort of terrain or objective out of the domes, but thus far nothing's come to mind ;)
hari sugarglider
Newcomer

Postby Mantisking » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:56 pm

hari sugarglider wrote:One interesting set which I picked up for cheap here in Australia (though it may have been a pricing error) was the Kokoriko board game. It has eight Travis bricks, some red clips and slopes, white 1x1 round plates with open studs, and thirty-three white 2x2 dome bricks.

Sounds great. Unfortunately it's one of those games that's not available in the U.S.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Augustine » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:48 am

rabidsi wrote:Also, I noticed the 7977 Seabed Strider is currently half price in a clearance sale at the offical LEGO webstore (UK at least). Might grab a couple of those at the same time as grabbing some components.

Whoa... that Seabed Strider is almost a mecha on it's own there! Someone who knows the game better nshould put up the stats :mrgreen:
Augustine
Newcomer

Postby kc2dpt » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:29 am

I found some Alien Conquest sets on sale at ShopRite (a grocery store chain in the US).

#7049 Alien Striker (34 parts for $3 = $0.09 per)
#7050 Alien Defender (97 parts for $6 = $0.06 per)
They also had an even bigger set for $12 (also ~$0.06 per) but I gotta budget my monies. :)

There's a number of useful mobile-frame parts in there. Some highlights for me:
The trans-blue rounds are a variety I haven't seen before. I like to use trans rounds for denoting the various systems so this'll go to defense attachments.
The lever with yellow base is an easy comm attachment. Looks like an antenna and it's yellow. :)
kc2dpt
Chatty

Next

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion