The Transit Gate : A Mobile Frame Zero Podcast

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Re: The Transit Gate : A Mobile Frame Zero Podcast

Postby Blorf » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:18 am

I let creativity go where it wants to go. My systems may be obvious to me, but not always to others—and something obvious to others, I can miss. I'm often bringing frames along for others to use and they want to customize the loadouts. They use whatever is handy to modify them and often designate frame parts as "integrated" systems (like movement for being a quad). This leads to a lot of non-obvious system representations at the same table. Instead, I bypass the whole issue by dropping a 1×6 on the table next to each frame with colored tiles on it to show the current loadout. This works wonderfully. Nobody forgets and nobody asks questions.

MittenNinja wrote:Oh and as far as the hi leg rivalry goes, all shall be resolved shortly...

You're going down, monkey.

spacemonkey wrote:I enjoyed the opportunity to build a Hi Leg which was a design I hadn't played with until that point.

Me, too. As you can see I barely had the parts to scrape together to do it. (And I wish I'd stuck a half-pin in the other end of that bar brick and done a second cone out the other way, but, oh well.)
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:41 am

There's a technique for marking systems that dates back to the Mechaton days that seems to have fallen into disuse. We used to "tag" systems with an appropriate Trans-Color piece. I know this could screw up the color schemes of some nicely built Frames, but it is a quick way to eyeball a loadout.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby eatrepeat » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:59 pm

This was something I noticed a little while ago while digging around. The colour coded bricked systems can look funky but if the build has a monochrome pallet it works all right. I took that approach with this little build.
Light Force SysRdy- JADDA FACTORIES by Carbon Scoring, on Flickr

But I do experience what Blorf describes. The player picks the kit and we kinda just decide what fits best to represent. Actually I had tried to get enough tiles and stuff for the 2x6 visual strip but it seemed less than necessary. Now that I'm more play conscious I think I'll do this but just use my box of 1x2 bricks that are in good supply :)
If my Frames stay out of the Star Wars universe...
eatrepeat
Been Around The Block

Postby MittenNinja » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:06 pm

For me, one of the great things about this game is the fact that you don't need a bunch of bookkeeping, and I try to keep things like system bars and the like to a minimum. The color coded systems can work if (as eatrepeat pointed out) the build is a more monochrome color. But even then, to me at least, it still come off as less realistic. Not important for gameplay, but I enjoy a cohesive aesthetic.
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby MittenNinja » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:58 pm

Another article for ya! This one is about the differences between MFZ and other tabletop wargames.
https://thetransitgate.wordpress.com/2015/04/08/table-talk-mfz-isnt-a-wargame/
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby Mantisking » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:17 pm

MittenNinja wrote:Another article for ya! This one is about the differences between MFZ and other tabletop wargames.
https://thetransitgate.wordpress.com/2015/04/08/table-talk-mfz-isnt-a-wargame/

I disagree. Just because people associate the word "wargame" with Warhammer and other game of their ilk doesn't mean it won't apply to MFZ. Does it not apply to Advanced Squad Leader and other chit based wargames? Does it not apply to Napoleonics and other historical mini games? Neither of those categories matches Warhammer and yet they're both wargames. Just because MFZ is asymetrical and has a heavy reliance on decision space is it any less of a wargame.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby MittenNinja » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:07 pm

Another stratagem article! This time talking about systems and playing the odds, also the importance of those white dice!

https://thetransitgate.wordpress.com/2015/04/13/frame-foundry-efficiency-in-odds-2/
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby Blorf » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:04 pm

I'm just going to copy in what I already said on G+, for the benefit of hangar-goers.

Great article. Has someone been playing with the Commander's Handbook? :)

While the averages are correct, one story those numbers don't tell is variability. I didn't implement it in the Handbook because it's a harder concept to grasp easily in an effectiveness graph, and nobody probably wants to get into standard deviations... but it can be discussed somewhat easily by considering the probability that you'll roll no better than a 1.

For one d6, the average roll is 3.5. The probability you'll roll a 1 is 16.7%. For 2d6, the average roll is only 4.5, but the probability of getting stuck with that 1? It plummets to just 2.8%! At 3d6, average roll is 5.0 and that 1-roll is nearly entirely gone at 0.4%. A soldier will almost never get stuck with a 1 on a stat that is critically important for that turn because it's always rolling 3d6 for whatever it decides is the most important. If you don't have multiple dice, you don't have that "safety net" when one die turns up badly; you're forced to take that bad roll.

So it's not that you're over- or understating the averages, it's that the average is only one part of the statistical story. (And let that be a lesson for next time you listen to the news...) With fewer dice, you're at the mercy of their variability.

If you want to explore this more, I like the anydice.com site. It's not good on mobile, but excellent otherwise. Paste these in as a place to start:

output d6
output [highest of d6 and d6]
output [highest of d6 and [highest of d6 and d6]]
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby MittenNinja » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:09 pm

Another article about efficient play!
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby HyveMynd » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:33 am

I'm really enjoying these articles MittenNinja. Keep them coming, please. I'm guessing another upcoming article will be about playing as the attacker. I'm very interested in seeing that, as I'm currently not a very good player. Tactics-wise, not sportsmanship-wise. Hopefully.

I've seen you mention both "killzones" and "no mans lands" before, and I think I get the basic idea; large, open areas that have plenty of incoming fire lanes but don't provide any cover allowing frames to unload on any target trying to cross it. I find I have trouble actually using them in game however (though that may be do to the small number of frames I've played with so far). I'd love to see an article on the different types of terrain or battlefield areas and how to use them.
@HyveMynd basically everywhere

Philly Expat in Japan | audio editor by day RPG creator by night | Monsterhearts fan | LEGO builder | Netrunner player | she/her
HyveMynd
Talkative

Postby MittenNinja » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:37 am

I am planning an article both for the primary and secondary attackers!

Youve pretty much hit the nail on the head about the killzones. They are just open areas where there really isnt any cover to take advantage of. Its always very beneficial if you can catch someone elses frame out of cover for your attack.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby Mantisking » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:56 am

MittenNinja wrote:Another article about efficient play!

These pointers are basically how I stayed alive during the PAX East battle.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:36 pm

Somehow I manage to play more 4- and 5-player games than 2- or 3. In the context of a game with more players, I believe I can only recommend setting up in the center for the reason of denying as much area as possible if you're also going to employ a fade tactic. If you've got an empty center, by all means set up stations there and skip town, letting them fight in the open. If you're going to hunker down, though, you don't want to be in between the other players. That makes sure they are all in striking distance of you, but not necessarily within striking distance of each other. I might go so far as to say the fade should be the default tactic of the defender, because losing frames is something they desperately need to avoid. Let's say a defender needs to lose 2 assets to lose the lead. A defender who has lost 2 stations still has a full complement of frames with which to launch a counterattack or to move instead to a new target elsewhere. A defender that has lost 2 frames has possibly lost half his company and most of his ability to influence the battle. Turtling tends to make the attackers press on (because they're already committed) and results in making the defender's job very difficult.

This is definitely influenced by the 5p game having a single station each, meaning the area you can deny is much smaller.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby MittenNinja » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:47 pm

Absolutely. The big thing to remember is that you always need to have an escape plan as the defender, no matter how many players. Falling back to your second station doesnt work if you dont have one!
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby naut » Fri May 22, 2015 11:29 pm

hey just wanted to chime in my support for the Transit Gate. great articles and podcasts!

I must have listened to each a couple times over while fiddling with frames

on that note, here's a thigh-high thigh-leg hi-leg variant with arms I made while listening to episode 4

naut
Newcomer

Postby Archangel6 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:29 pm

Just finished devouring the podcast episodes that were up on the site, and I just gotta say....

NEED MORE COWBELL, err, PODCASTS!!! Those episodes were awesome! Need MOAAAAARRRRRR!!!

C'mon...ya know ya wanna put another one together for your raving fans..dontcha, dontcha??
Archangel6
Newcomer

Postby MittenNinja » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:42 am

Don't get your hopes up on anything coming out anytime soon. I've moved to the Midwest and my other co hosts are still in Colorado. Depending on how things go the podcast may continue, but regardless I will be posting articles periodically.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby Viper Tesla » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:34 am

MittenNinja wrote:Don't get your hopes up on anything coming out anytime soon. I've moved to the Midwest and my other co hosts are still in Colorado. Depending on how things go the podcast may continue, but regardless I will be posting articles periodically.

Best of luck! Replaying the podcasts now... :)
Viper Tesla
Chatty

Postby Hesedguy » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:27 pm

I've recently discovered this game and just wanted to say that I really appreciated your podcasts and blog articles. They've been very informative about how the game actually works. Thanks! and I hope you can write some more.
Hesedguy
Newcomer

Previous

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion