Frame Trader

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Frame Trader

Postby FlakManiak » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:29 am

Is this an okay thread to have? Is this the right place for it? Mods feel free to correct either issue.

Anyway, I figured a thread for people looking to sell their companies/do commissions/whatever could be useful. Loadsa builders here with loadsa frames, and loadsa builders without. Anyway the proximate reason for me is that I now have eleven frame companies and while I'd loathe parting with any of them, it feels like too many. I suppose I'd be open to offers. (Yes, it's true, only seven of the frame companies have had pictures posted. I'll correct that soon.) Also I'd be open to the idea of commission work. I'd almost rather do that than sell my existing companies, because I'm already attached to them.

At any rate, this thread is for those who would like to sell their frames, or buy people's frames, or set up commissions or what have you. (Again, apologies to the mods if such a thread violates some rule, but a cursory check of the site didn't find forum rules, much less any forbidding something like this.)
FlakManiak
Been Around The Block

Re: The Trading/Selling Frames Thread

Postby Thaddeus » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:12 pm

When you register(or at least when I did) you have to sign some rules forbidding profanity, hate speech, etc. but this wasn't forbidden. It has in fact been discussed before, but so far(generally) it seems that selling generic companies just doesn't carry enough profit. There have however been several commissions, but only of builders who've built lotsa amazing stuff(LFoW, Mittens, etc.) which means you'd be included. ;)
Thaddeus
Grizzled Veteran

Postby FlakManiak » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:19 pm

Yeah from my thinking on the subject I concluded that just selling "some frames" probably isn't profitable, but if one has something special then maybe it can be worth the while of all those involved. Given how high costs can run on the frames where I go all-out, I'd have to make my companies pretty pricy. (But the flipside is that I could actually make Chubs or what have you quite cheaply.) Anyway seeing the thread a while ago about frames in gaming shops, with Chubs going for 15 bucks, I figured that it could be worth it to sell my frames. I guess I just don't know, so I'd like to investigate.

At any rate I imagined that this would be the thread for people to ask one another if a certain build is for sale, or to say that they've something they'd like to sell, without them feeling like a self-promoting ******* by making their own thread just to say "I wanna sell this". (Nothing against the announcement threads of eBay frames, though.) And I suppose it's a way for me to say "I would like to do commission work", without, you know, feeling like That Guy.

Also to really kick things off, I'm wondering if MittenNinja's Pit Viper Assault Chubs could ever be for sale. Those sand green super Chubs captured my imagination from the first moment I laid eyes on them. The torsos, the legs, the amount of articulation... MittenNinja, if you read this, maybe we can see about organizing a trade?
FlakManiak
Been Around The Block

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:47 am

Self-promotion is the most elemental kind of promotion. I'd love to see a full-on marketplace.
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby JPRoth1980 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:01 am

What would be amazing, for me, is someone selling "sets" of bricks. Since BrickLink doesn't allow me to do a order optimization check, it would be AMAZING for someone to do something as simple as selling little baggies of parts to make a number of frames (preferably in a number of colors).

Like the $15 Chub, but with more variety. It would provide an easy entry point into the game for those who don't want to have to deal with BrickLink and could help people "get" the basics of frame construction. I know that assembling my first Chub really taught me a lot.

It'd be even better if the initial focus was on frames that had instructions either in the rulebook or otherwise posted online. Someone could make a nice little chunk of profit from hunting down sources on BrickLink, then send out the kits.

Heck, do the same with the Garage kit. Imagine a "you can hunt this down from Bricklink for X, but if you pay me a little more, I'll send it to you in one shipment" option. People would likely save enough on the shipping alone to make it worthwhile.
JPRoth1980
Chatty

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:05 pm

Anyone seriously thinking about doing this might want to explore and then set up an account at brickowl.com.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby FlakManiak » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:29 pm

I'll investigate BrickOwl's bundling features. I'm not sure about the economics of buying from BrickLink/BrickOwl, bundling and selling, but I might do such a thing. I could see myself having stock designs that I'd sell.

Also, Joshua, if one is selling canonical designs like Chubs, or Chub-derived designs, is that alright? I figured I should speak to you and/or Soren about it. And should one say "This is for the game Mobile Frame Zero; check it out, though I'm not officially affiliated with the game's creators" or some other thing like that? I want to do things right and also do what's best for the game here, in addition to making money with an artistic endeavor I love.
FlakManiak
Been Around The Block

Postby Soren » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:01 am

FlakManiak wrote:I'll investigate BrickOwl's bundling features. I'm not sure about the economics of buying from BrickLink/BrickOwl, bundling and selling, but I might do such a thing. I could see myself having stock designs that I'd sell.

For buying, plan to get as many of your parts in bulk as you practically can, and look for the biggest, cheapest lots. Start out with one design and gradually expand your range - Conscripts would be a good design to start with.

FlakManiak wrote:Also, Joshua, if one is selling canonical designs like Chubs, or Chub-derived designs, is that alright? I figured I should speak to you and/or Soren about it. And should one say "This is for the game Mobile Frame Zero; check it out, though I'm not officially affiliated with the game's creators" or some other thing like that? I want to do things right and also do what's best for the game here, in addition to making money with an artistic endeavor I love.

You have my permission! All I want is to be credited, and all you ever owe me, if you make a meaningful profit, is a beer; if you make a lot of money and feel guilty it can be a fancy cask-conditioned real ale, but don't sweat it.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:12 pm

Yep! Designs are Soren's, the brand is mine.

Soren tells you what you need to use the frame designs. The licensing chapter tells you what you need to know to use the brand. If you're using the brand to make money, talk with me and we'll make a deal related to how much of a chabber it is.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby FlakManiak » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:18 am

So I rummaged around BrickOwl's interface and I can't tell how to make custom lots. Is there some trick, or have I just not dug deep enough? Anyway, Joshua, we should talk. I'd like to get clear exactly what "using the brand" means. I'm really not familiar with this kind of stuff and I want to do things right.

Anyway, I'll take photos of my new companies and perhaps I'll want to sell some of them. I'm not as attached to them as I am to most of my old ones.
FlakManiak
Been Around The Block

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:16 pm

If you say "Mobile Frame Zero", "Mobile Frame", "Rapid Attack", abbreviations thereof, or use any of the images that are obviously part of the MFØ trade dress, then a) you can do anything you want for free, as long as you follow the rules in the licensing chapter, or b) you need to talk with me and we'll sort out a deal for you to use them.

My concerns are primarily aesthetic. I want you to sell stuff and make money because it promotes my project.

Brick Owl tells me that you can simply add a kit to the Catalogue here.

I would suggest that you add a kit not just as a description ("ST-07 Chub") but with something that says who the builder is ("ST-07 Chub Firebutt Custom by FlakManiak"). Brick Owl might have more concrete suggestions, so obviously go with what they say.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Mantisking » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:44 pm

ParadoxBoy just clued me in to this over on the RPG.net forum. Bricklink MOC Shop.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby FlakManiak » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:39 am

So if I put my designs up and just say "For use with the game Mobile Frame Zero; check out the game's website <here>", it's cool?

BrickLink Originals is interesting. Obviously a lot more slanted towards money for BrickLink, but still probably good for those designing such things. Not sure it's what I want.
FlakManiak
Been Around The Block

Postby MittenNinja » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:40 pm

I just posted a couple of companies up for sale on the Facebook group. They aren't commissions but one of them (the rebels) Are on par with a full on custom company.
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby Cypherxv » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:47 am

FlakManiak wrote:Yeah from my thinking on the subject I concluded that just selling "some frames" probably isn't profitable, but if one has something special then maybe it can be worth the while of all those involved. Given how high costs can run on the frames where I go all-out, I'd have to make my companies pretty pricy. (But the flipside is that I could actually make Chubs or what have you quite cheaply.) Anyway seeing the thread a while ago about frames in gaming shops, with Chubs going for 15 bucks, I figured that it could be worth it to sell my frames. I guess I just don't know, so I'd like to investigate.

At any rate I imagined that this would be the thread for people to ask one another if a certain build is for sale, or to say that they've something they'd like to sell, without them feeling like a self-promoting ******* by making their own thread just to say "I wanna sell this". (Nothing against the announcement threads of eBay frames, though.) And I suppose it's a way for me to say "I would like to do commission work", without, you know, feeling like That Guy.

Also to really kick things off, I'm wondering if MittenNinja's Pit Viper Assault Chubs could ever be for sale. Those sand green super Chubs captured my imagination from the first moment I laid eyes on them. The torsos, the legs, the amount of articulation... MittenNinja, if you read this, maybe we can see about organizing a trade?

Are the chubs available online?
Cypherxv
Young Gun

Re: Frame Trader

Postby Foghammer » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:41 pm

Frames previously in the post are DISMANTLED.
Last edited by Foghammer on Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foghammer
Old Guard

Postby Thaddeus » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:32 am

Not at all-70$ seems to be a decent pricing for companies so far.
Thaddeus
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Foghammer » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:50 am

I built a red company immediately after I posted that last one. Two vanilla chubs, a zealot, and a slightly modified dragoon which is rather large and impressive looking in red. I've got part of a scrambler put together for it, but I flubbed up part of it and just got on here to see how they go together. I'll fix it tomorrow (and hopefully come up with some stations) before I snap pics.
Foghammer
Old Guard

Postby Foghammer » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:48 pm

Frames previously in the post are SOLD.
Last edited by Foghammer on Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foghammer
Old Guard

Postby Foghammer » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Would it be out of line to post frames/companies that are for sale on the Design board for more exposure, or is it preferred that it stays here?
Foghammer
Old Guard

Next

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion