Lego 31005 Construction Hauler review

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Lego 31005 Construction Hauler review

Postby rudemech » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:56 am

I bought this mostly for Alpha Bandit parts, as I've been using red slopes & tiles like they were going out of fashion. That said, I set myself the challenge of making a frame so I could do a review. I like to watch a movie while I build, so tonight saw a screening of classic B-grade horror film 'Tremors'. Suffice it to say the elephant gun inspired one of the frame systems a little ;)

Mantisking style review as follows:
Can you build a frame, or frames, right away? (Yes = +5 / No = -5)
This is a resounding 'yes' - you'd hope so, with this many pieces.

Is it below, at, or above the golden ratio? (Below = +5 / At = 0 / Above = -10) (The Golden Ratio is $0.10 per part.)
This is one of the reasons I love Creator sets - at AUD $23 for 256 pieces, this comes in at 9c/part and therefore nicely under the GR.

If you can't build a frame right away, or choose not to, does it have parts you should be able to put into use right away? (Yes = +5 / No = -5)
Yes. This set is lousy with tiles, slopes, round 1 stud bricks and all manner of parts commonly used for articulation, as well as some neat SNOT pieces that I haven't come across before.

Does it have more than a handful of immediately useful parts? (Yes = +5 / No = -5)
Yes. After making a fairly hefty frame, there are still plenty of useful (if mostly non-articulating) parts left over. Aside from the tires and some of the axle pieces, there is very little in this set that cannot easily be used in a frame, microscale ship or terrain piece. Par l'example: those two white wheel arches are a good basis for an Ijad station.

That adds up to +20, making this an A+ set.

Now, may I present the prototype of the Daimler-Maclaren Group, Incorporated (DMG/Inc.) "Survivalist" frame, also known affectionately as the "Gummer":

Equipped with a Type B hyper-sonic flechette launcher with variable choke and a Type H ripple-fire smart missile pod, the Gummer is capable of engaging targets effectively at any range. This prototype also features an experimental booster system and a standard sensor package.
d6W d6W d6Rd/ d6Rh , d6Ra/ d6Rd d6G d6Y
Last edited by rudemech on Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rudemech
Chatty

Re: Lego 31005 Construction Hauler review

Postby darksyntax » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:07 pm

Nice review. And a very nice frame, SSC or not. My only negative would be the 'cost per frame' figure if someone were to look at this as a starter set: $16USD (Amazon) would be a bit high (perhaps you could get another frame or station from the rest of the pieces in the set?).

As for loadout, are you indicating 2x split-range systems? Like this:
d6W d6W d6Rd / d6Rh , d6Rd / d6Ra , d6G , d6Y
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby gusindor » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:52 pm

darksyntax wrote:Nice review. And a very nice frame, SSC or not. My only negative would be the 'cost per frame' figure if someone were to look at this as a starter set: $16USD (Amazon) would be a bit high (perhaps you could get another frame or station from the rest of the pieces in the set?).

You can get an entire company, but they don't look as pretty.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby rudemech » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:00 pm

Original post amended for system clarity. And yes, I've yet to learn any form of parts restraint or heavens forefend, actual design efficiency ;)
rudemech
Chatty

Postby FlakManiak » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:01 am

Well I still haven't learned any and I've been building for MFZ almost a year. I suspect I never will. That's fine with me. Restraint is for suckas. (And people without many parts)

Nice frame, too. Very good. Cool SSC frame, and doesn't even look like an SSC. Very nice use of a set. Usually, as most of you know, I'm not into sets for parts.
FlakManiak
Been Around The Block

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion