National MFZ Getogether?

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

National MFZ Getogether?

Postby MittenNinja » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:16 pm

Just a crazy idea I had the other day. If there were to be an "event" of sorts for MFZ. Would you be interested/willing to come? When I say event I mean more along the lines of a weekend get together to play, build, and hang out.

So a couple of questions:

Would you want to go?

How far would you be willing to travel?

How long would you want to/be willing to stay?

What would you want to see/do at the event?
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Re: National MFZ Getogether?

Postby gatlinggouf927 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:42 pm

Well to answer all the questions in order, my perfect version of this would be like this:

1. Absolutely.

2. The farthest I've traveled for a weekend event via car (Otakon) was 5 hours, so something within the greater Northeast US would be swell.

3. What with work, life, etc. a weekend would be perfect, a Fri to Sun thing or a Sat to Mon (holiday like labor day) would be awesome.

4. Hmm, i think a fusion of a mini lego con and MFZ con would be ideal, naturally people would be doing there own stuff, so having designated areas for players to game (get some terrain tables set up), a builders display area, and a lounge for those who want to compare fluff or just hang out and chat. Dreaming here now, but if you could get a few Bricklink vendors to show up in a sort of parts bazaar it would be flawless lol. Also get local gaming/comic shops to set up stalls and advertising space so we can spread the word about MFZ while they get to do some extra business. :)

EDIT: Also a tournament would be sweet :D You can adjust your team accordingly, but you have to stick with one faction/unit the whole way through
I came from the bottom, now I made it to the top. Newtype flow I'm the hottest on the block. Somebody tell these haters that I'm never gonna stop. Till I kill em all like a colony drop. I'm yellin out Sieg Zeon, Sieg Zeon

-Richie Branson-
gatlinggouf927
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Shades_Corvid » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:52 pm

MittenNinja wrote:Just a crazy idea I had the other day. If there were to be an "event" of sorts for MFZ. Would you be interested/willing to come? When I say event I mean more along the lines of a weekend get together to play, build, and hang out.

So a couple of questions:

Would you want to go?

Yes!
MittenNinja wrote:How far would you be willing to travel?

An hour drive? The bigger the better chance of driving further but money is also a bit tight right now.
MittenNinja wrote:How long would you want to/be willing to stay?

This would depend on arrangements I can make/size of the event but at least a day.
MittenNinja wrote:What would you want to see/do at the event?

Play play play and check out cool designs, maybe even talk fan fiction and try extended rules?
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Foghammer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:29 pm

MittenNinja wrote:Would you want to go?

How far would you be willing to travel?

How long would you want to/be willing to stay?

What would you want to see/do at the event?

1) Yes.

2) Depending on the size of the shindig, as much as 5 hours, I'd say. That's as far west as Memphis from here, I think. Probably isn't that far, but I'm a college student.

3) Fri/Sat night at the most. I'd have to come back on Sunday to be ready for Monday (barring 3-day weekends).

4) In order: A) Discuss ideas for the game, the story, alternate settings, mech stuff in general. B) Check out awesome builds, discuss building techniques, and maybe do some building of my own. C) PLAY MFZ (and get stomped, because I'm a terrible tactician and have awful luck with dice). D) Buy stuff. I like to shop. In my limited experience with conventions, artists' alley is usually my favorite place to stop in.
Foghammer
Old Guard

Postby MittenNinja » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:30 pm

As of right now, the most likely locations would either be Denver or Mpls/St Paul. These is by no means the only places, but due to my location and resources, would be the easiest for me.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby aimforthetop » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:48 pm

I don't know if something truly -national- could be pulled off in the US, you'd need a number of people willing to flight travel and overnight stay. That's a big commitment.

Regional? I could certainly see this going down. "Mobile Frame Zero Northeastern US Championship Tournament", California, UK, and so on .Anywhere where a cluster of driving daytrippers could be gathered.
aimforthetop
Been Around The Block

Postby HatRabies » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:40 am

I could probably make it to Colorado if it was held on a weekend. That'd be one of the few upsides of having moved to Arizona!
Toys, toys, toys.
The name's Josh

http://bit.ly/1aoI85j
You should follow the above link and vote for me starting October 10th! I will be eternally grateful!
HatRabies
Been Around The Block

Postby MittenNinja » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:26 pm

That's exactly why I wanted input aimforthetop. I wanted to see how many people would be willing to fly out somewhere for a weekend. If there aren't enough that would, multiple regional events would be more feasible.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby Mantisking » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:17 pm

MittenNinja wrote:Just a crazy idea I had the other day. If there were to be an "event" of sorts for MFZ. Would you be interested/willing to come? When I say event I mean more along the lines of a weekend get together to play, build, and hang out.

Are we talking an "event" event? Like rent a couple of conference rooms in a hotel, kind of event?

MittenNinja wrote:Would you want to go?

Sure.

MittenNinja wrote:How far would you be willing to travel?

I've driven eight hours in car before so I've got no problem with that.

MittenNinja wrote:How long would you want to/be willing to stay?

For the weekend at least.

MittenNinja wrote:What would you want to see/do at the event?

Sit and chat with other MOFos, play several games, maybe exchange parts.

If we're going to have a get-together, maybe we could arrange it at one of the big cons, PAX Prime, PAX East, Gencon, etc. That would give us access to bigger resources than our own and the chance to expose MFZ to new people.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Gobbo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:28 am

I am totally down with a big MF0 event in Denver. I will even help the Ninja get it organized and set up.
Gobbo
Newcomer

Postby Marvrob » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:28 pm

I am in Kansas City and drive 8 hours to Gencon every year. I think St. Paul is about 8 hours and, though it is a soul crushing drive, Denver is also about 8 as well. I could be up for this
Marvrob
Newcomer

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:06 pm

If I could make the money work, I'd be down for this, wherever it happens.
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby DRevD » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:25 pm

Mantisking wrote:If we're going to have a get-together, maybe we could arrange it at one of the big cons, PAX Prime, PAX East, Gencon, etc. That would give us access to bigger resources than our own and the chance to expose MFZ to new people.

I agree. Not only does the event give people more incentive to spend the money and time to go wherever the getogether is, but bringing in new people is always necessary.
DRevD
Been Around The Block

Postby MittenNinja » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:41 pm

If I were to demo out at the Denver comicon again next summer, would that be a large enough event to entice some people to come out?
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby A YATES INDUSTRIALS » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:24 am

HatRabies wrote:I could probably make it to Colorado if it was held on a weekend. That'd be one of the few upsides of having moved to Arizona!

what part of AZ I am in flagstaff
o)-<|:
A YATES INDUSTRIALS
Grizzled Veteran

Postby A YATES INDUSTRIALS » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:25 am

MittenNinja wrote:As of right now, the most likely locations would either be Denver or Mpls/St Paul. These is by no means the only places, but due to my location and resources, would be the easiest for me.

oooohh denver has some skateparks
o)-<|:
A YATES INDUSTRIALS
Grizzled Veteran

Postby HatRabies » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:14 am

A YATES INDUSTRIALS wrote:
HatRabies wrote:I could probably make it to Colorado if it was held on a weekend. That'd be one of the few upsides of having moved to Arizona!

what part of AZ I am in flagstaff

I'm in Tempe. You are not far at all!
Toys, toys, toys.
The name's Josh

http://bit.ly/1aoI85j
You should follow the above link and vote for me starting October 10th! I will be eternally grateful!
HatRabies
Been Around The Block

Postby Mantisking » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:49 am

MittenNinja wrote:If I were to demo out at the Denver comicon again next summer, would that be a large enough event to entice some people to come out?

When's it being held?
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby carpemortis » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:14 am

My wife has friends in Aurora... It would not take much to convince her to take a trip.
carpemortis
Talkative

Postby MittenNinja » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:18 am

Mantisking wrote:
MittenNinja wrote:If I were to demo out at the Denver comicon again next summer, would that be a large enough event to entice some people to come out?

When's it being held?

It looks like June 13-15
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Next

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion