Mod Team

Re: MFZ:RA 0.2.1 Rules Posted by Josh

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:12 am

Wh...
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:19 am

So strange. I downloaded it once and it was wrong, then again and it was right. Seems to be right now. I wonder if there was a server barf and it backed up a couple of hours or something.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Mercutio » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:33 am

I downloaded again this morning and the logo is now in the right color for me.
Mercutio
Been Around The Block

Postby Dukayn » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:39 am

Just re-re-re-downloaded it and it's now Red! Huzzah!
Dukayn
Mod Team

MFZ:RA 0.2.1 Rules Posted by Josh

Postby CrayolaSmoker » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:06 pm

afny wrote:Dunno if it's just me, but I can't open the PDF with Preview. It crashes about 5 seconds after being opened. It loads fine through Chrome; haven't tried Abobe Reader.

Having the same problem. Preview crashes within a few seconds, or the moment I try to resize the window. Also crashes Safari (Using the same rendering engine, I'd reckon. Can open in Acrobat Pro without problem.)

Haven't transferred it to my Kindle Fire yet, but sincerely hope it stays open there, as that's where I tend to read books anyway.
CrayolaSmoker
Newcomer

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:37 pm

A very rational user has helped me find the problematic pages. It will take me a bit to fix it, though; the pages are the way they are because of a short cut. Fixing it means taking a long uncut.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Dukayn » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:59 pm

I've not had a problem in Chrome, Foxit or the pdf reader on my phone.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Doldrum » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:00 am

I am guna just disappear into my room and not come out...I'll be reading this thing backwards and forwards :D
Who ever controls the Peach controls the Universe.
Doldrum
Talkative

Postby Mercutio » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:05 pm

Just a note to say that Tycho at Penny Arcade had another post about MoF0 today, particularly plugging the Flickr group, but linking to the rules download page as well.
Mercutio
Been Around The Block

Postby OrangeKNight » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:48 pm

Well, that would explain why my views on flickr page jumped up HUGE today.....

Mike
OrangeKNight
Talkative

Postby Mantisking » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:24 am

Mercutio wrote:Just a note to say that Tycho at Penny Arcade had another post about MoF0 today, particularly plugging the Flickr group, but linking to the rules download page as well.

That would explain the spike in hits on my blog.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Zero Revenge » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:34 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:
Zero Revenge wrote:What's the Chinese Symbols on the Solar Union symbol say? Wow, alot of Asian [specifically Chinese] symbolism. I guess that's who won World War IV.

It says, "10,000".

There's lots of Asian stuff because most people are Asian. The people of the Northern Republic of Mars are mostly Russian, if I recall. Those are the originators of the UMFL.

Oh, 10,000 years. Makes sense. That's quite the projection, we'll see how well they'll do, though history will show their odds are not good. Heheh.

That's true concerning the Asian symbolism. I... I kinda forgot that China and Indian have like 4 Billion people amongst just themselves.

What's happened to the "Western World" with the powers of old, United States, Great Britain, Germany, the European Union, etc? Do they [or their territory] still hold any power? (Did they crumble and fall apart?) Or is the Asian Continent the focus of the Union's power? And the Union is still a constitutional democracy, like if the U.N. ran Earth... right? Edit: You mentioned that the predominant ethnicity of the North-Martian people are Russian, and the Southport are Tamil. What about Venus and Jupiter?

And how is religion in the Solar Union [and by proxy the Colonies'] territories? Has Humanity reached past a need for religion? (As I'm kind of under the assumption, with the big religious focus going to the Ijad)

Ahhh! I'm sorry for swarming you with a dozen questions. I just love what you and Soren [and the others, obviously] have got here. And even though my love is to the lore and fluff text, I didn't see any big problems in comprehending the new layout of the rules. It's in just the perfect language, I doubt people can confuse the rules in this draft.

-ZR

And one question about the Terran Transit Marines. Are they loyal to the Planet's-Corporations first? Or the Solar Union? In the TTM section, it mentioned protecting the corporation as Priority #1, but if they're apart of the TTA, wouldn't it make sense to be "more" loyal to the S.U.?

(Sorry for asking this so late, Otakon consumed me for 5 days...)
Last edited by Zero Revenge on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Self-appointed lore buff.
http://mfzarcadia.wordpress.com/ - Keep up to date on the War for Arcadia
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran

Postby spacemonkey » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:26 pm

Zero Revenge wrote:And one question about the Terran Transit Marines. Are they loyal to the Planet's-Corporations first? Or the Solar Union? In the TTM section, it mentioned protecting the corporation as Priority #1, but if they're apart of the TTA, wouldn't it make sense to be "more" loyal to the S.U.?

That part struck me as a bit odd as well. Until now it always seemed like their main objective was supposed to be defending the gates thus ensuring smooth and safe commerce throughout the Solar Union; if their first loyalty/priority is defending the owning(?)/operating company of the gate wouldn't that make them more of a defacto private security force? Thus potentially used by those companies for everything from tracking pirates to crushing worker rebellions (presumably far from the gates)? :?:
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Dukayn » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:43 pm

Mercutio wrote:Just a note to say that Tycho at Penny Arcade had another post about MoF0 today, particularly plugging the Flickr group, but linking to the rules download page as well.

Indeed, saw that today. Also, note:
Tycho wrote:I’ve got an idea for a short story (like, short. but good! short, though) story set “in” the Mobile Frame Zero “universe”
-- this would be AWESOME.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Deathzero » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:53 pm

I've gotten like an extra 300 views on some of my images in the past day. Go Tycho.
Sieg Zeon.
Deathzero
Been Around The Block

Postby Dukayn » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:00 pm

Deathzero wrote:I've gotten like an extra 300 views on some of my images in the past day. Go Tycho.

Yeah, I just had a quick look and it's crazy. I only post 1 photo per frame to the Flickr group, and the other photos just sit in my photostream. The ones NOT in the Flickr group average around 15 views. The ones which ARE in the Flickr stream range from 306 (the latest Nightingale photo) to 564 (the Harrier) :shock:
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:31 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Zero Revenge wrote:And one question about the Terran Transit Marines. Are they loyal to the Planet's-Corporations first? Or the Solar Union? In the TTM section, it mentioned protecting the corporation as Priority #1, but if they're apart of the TTA, wouldn't it make sense to be "more" loyal to the S.U.?

That part struck me as a bit odd as well. Until now it always seemed like their main objective was supposed to be defending the gates thus ensuring smooth and safe commerce throughout the Solar Union; if their first loyalty/priority is defending the owning(?)/operating company of the gate wouldn't that make them more of a defacto private security force? Thus potentially used by those companies for everything from tracking pirates to crushing worker rebellions (presumably far from the gates)? :?:

"What's good for Hesher Interstellar is good for the Solar Union!"

The idea is that the transit corporation is there to take care of trade. They're the agents of the SU. The TTMs are there to implement their decisions when those decisions involve protecting valuable assets. Their presence is intended to be a deterrent to attacks.

Most of the time, they wear very fine berets and wake up in a different pop star's bedroom each morning, cuz who in their right mind would attack a transit gate? Those are the pilots that don't get to play Mobile Frame Zero: Rapid Attack, though they might show up in Mobile Frame Zero: Tomorrow Melody (or whatever crazy, not-quite-translated thing the RPG winds up being called).
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:40 pm

Zero Revenge wrote:
Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:
Zero Revenge wrote:What's the Chinese Symbols on the Solar Union symbol say? Wow, alot of Asian [specifically Chinese] symbolism. I guess that's who won World War IV.

It says, "10,000".

There's lots of Asian stuff because most people are Asian. The people of the Northern Republic of Mars are mostly Russian, if I recall. Those are the originators of the UMFL.

Oh, 10,000 years. Makes sense. That's quite the projection, we'll see how well they'll do, though history will show their odds are not good. Heheh.

Yeah. The American Century lasted from, oh, probably 1947 to 1990. The Thousand Year Reich lasted from 1939 to 1945. These promises don't tend to go well.

What's happened to the "Western World" with the powers of old, United States, Great Britain, Germany, the European Union, etc? Do they [or their territory] still hold any power? (Did they crumble and fall apart?) Or is the Asian Continent the focus of the Union's power? And the Union is still a constitutional democracy, like if the U.N. ran Earth... right? Edit: You mentioned that the predominant ethnicity of the North-Martian people are Russian, and the Southport are Tamil. What about Venus and Jupiter?

Dunno. I'm pretty sure the core of the US is a desert. Venus is isolationist and really is its own ethnic group now. I don't know where they came from. Soren probably has that in notes somewhere. The Jovian Accord started with a commercial endeavor, which probably means that it was a social group, more than an ethnic one.

And how is religion in the Solar Union [and by proxy the Colonies'] territories? Has Humanity reached past a need for religion? (As I'm kind of under the assumption, with the big religious focus going to the Ijad)

Ben Lehman's talked with me about heretical Ijad who follow The Human Religion. It's got all the subtlety of our misunderstandings and overgeneralizations of the Ijad one.

Ahhh! I'm sorry for swarming you with a dozen questions. I just love what you and Soren [and the others, obviously] have got here. And even though my love is to the lore and fluff text, I didn't see any big problems in comprehending the new layout of the rules. It's in just the perfect language, I doubt people can confuse the rules in this draft.

Fantastic! Vincent's an incredibly tight writer.

And one question about the Terran Transit Marines. Are they loyal to the Planet's-Corporations first? Or the Solar Union? In the TTM section, it mentioned protecting the corporation as Priority #1, but if they're apart of the TTA, wouldn't it make sense to be "more" loyal to the S.U.?

(Sorry for asking this so late, Otakon consumed me for 5 days...)

That's a loyalty that you should test at the table sometime.

This idea came to me from Rome. Centuries swore allegiance to their centurion, not to Rome itself. That meant that those involved directly in a conflict (theoretically) had the best knowledge how to deal with a problem and could deal with it.

It also meant that centuriae could turn on each other.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Zero Revenge » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:40 am

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:"What's good for Hesher Interstellar is good for the Solar Union!"

The idea is that the transit corporation is there to take care of trade. They're the agents of the SU. The TTMs are there to implement their decisions when those decisions involve protecting valuable assets. Their presence is intended to be a deterrent to attacks.

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:That's a loyalty that you should test at the table sometime.

This idea came to me from Rome. Centuries swore allegiance to their centurion, not to Rome itself. That meant that those involved directly in a conflict (theoretically) had the best knowledge how to deal with a problem and could deal with it.

It also meant that centuriae could turn on each other.

Thank You. And that's genius. That both helped answer a few questions for my setting, and just spawn a myriad more ideas. I always forget to look at Rome. Current-Day America, British Empire, Soviet Union... Always forget Rome... Ah, I put my college education to shame. I forgot about the Centurions too!

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:Most of the time, they wear very fine berets and wake up in a different pop star's bedroom each morning, cuz who in their right mind would attack a transit gate? Those are the pilots that don't get to play Mobile Frame Zero: Rapid Attack, though they might show up in Mobile Frame Zero: Tomorrow Melody (or whatever crazy, not-quite-translated thing the RPG winds up being called).

Mobile Frame Zero: Do You Remember Love
... Or Mobile Frame Zero: ~Sayonara no Tsubasa~...? [Hehehehe!]

Now then, which Pop Idol today? Lynn Minmay, Ranka Lee, Sheryl Nome? Hahaha, man those Transit Marines have it made...

...So long as no one dare interfere during a trade meeting. Or someone... you know, seizes a Transit Gate! Let's hope all the money spent on their snazzy uniforms and training and top of the SU-line Frames account for something!

Ben Lehman's talked with me about heretical Ijad who follow The Human Religion. It's got all the subtlety of our misunderstandings and overgeneralizations of the Ijad one.

Ah Christ [Ah, puns] how horrifying! That is terrifying... Ijad who believed in all of the whacky [or not so whacky, to each their own] stuff that has been on Earth for centuries? Woooooaaaah.

...Now I must see a Norse Ijad group, all heavy metal, calling out for Thor...

Fantastic! Vincent's an incredibly tight writer.

Seconded!
Self-appointed lore buff.
http://mfzarcadia.wordpress.com/ - Keep up to date on the War for Arcadia
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion