Vinyl Dye

Have any pesky questions about techniques, or need advice on how to build a certain section for your frame? Post them here. Tips & tricks welcome.

Re: Vinyl Dye

Postby ferrelferret » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:14 pm

Mantisking wrote:Looking at the bigger picture on Flickr, the two dishes have a different texture.

Cheater. ;)

Yeah, the lighting really makes it obvious. One of the dishes I just left alone as it dried. That one has the more obvious texture difference. The other one, I gently blew on it as it dried. This left a more smooth texture; I'd guess that's due to it causing the Acetone and such to evaporate faster.

~ferret~
ferrelferret
Talkative

Postby MittenNinja » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:40 pm

looking good ferret! how do those pieces compare texture and connection wise?
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby LowestFormOfWit » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:26 am

Looking great! Now to place my own order.

Also, use that black on stuff that doesn't come in black!
LowestFormOfWit
Grizzled Veteran

Postby LowestFormOfWit » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:39 am

I'm doing more and more searches on "Interior Paint" or "Interior Dye", as they tend to take me to more of what true vinyl dye is.

Could I ask a favor Mitten, and get you to post a picture of the can you've got? Is it exactly the OER Interior Paint that can be seen on Heartbeat City's site, or does the can's appearance differ?

I'm thinking about going with something from this Mustang Site (they seem legit!), but if you've got a specific brand that you know is clearly vinyl dye, there's no need for me to hunt down another brand just to find out it's another paint/coating.
LowestFormOfWit
Grizzled Veteran

Postby MittenNinja » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:58 pm

LowestFormOfWit wrote:Could I ask a favor Mitten, and get you to post a picture of the can you've got? Is it exactly the OER Interior Paint that can be seen on Heartbeat City's site, or does the can's appearance differ?

That's what I've been using. It says "paint" on the can but it's labelled dye on the UPC sticker, and it has been working wonderfully.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby jugglervr » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:41 pm

Breadcrumbs so i don't forget to look into this. Also, has anyone taken these methods to any great conclusion? Did someone find a good black dye that doesn't flake?
jugglervr
Been Around The Block

Postby LowestFormOfWit » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:41 pm

jugglervr wrote:Breadcrumbs so i don't forget to look into this. Also, has anyone taken these methods to any great conclusion? Did someone find a good black dye that doesn't flake?

Pretty sure the brand Mitten uses (OER) has a black vinyl dye. And Mitten has dyed an entire company of Iguanas to great effect, who are all doing just fine still I believe.

http://www.restoreclassics.com/Vinyl-Dye-Spray-8603.html

The can Mitten has is #9692 - Moss Green.
LowestFormOfWit
Grizzled Veteran

Postby MittenNinja » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:11 am

LowestFormOfWit wrote:Pretty sure the brand Mitten uses (OER) has a black vinyl dye. And Mitten has dyed an entire company of Iguanas to great effect, who are all doing just fine still I believe.

Yessir, those Iggy's are still alive and kicking.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby Foghammer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:01 pm

So glad this thread was brought back to the front! This is great info!
Foghammer
Old Guard

Postby MakeItTrizzle » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:36 pm

What kind of plastic are Legos made out of? I dye lacrosse heads pretty frequently and everybody uses RIT dye for that. Has anyone tried RIT dying Legos?
MakeItTrizzle
Newcomer

Postby LowestFormOfWit » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:34 pm

LEGO pieces are primarily ABS plastic. Translucent pieces are a type of PC. I want to say that RIT dye won't work on them, last I read. Interior automotive vinyl dye/paint(have to do your research) is likely the best option because it penetrates the plastic and allows itself to be absorbed into it.
LowestFormOfWit
Grizzled Veteran

Postby MakeItTrizzle » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:44 pm

Ah, yeah RIT dye wouldn't do it then, it works on nylon plastics (like lacrosse heads).
MakeItTrizzle
Newcomer

Postby Mantisking » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:14 am

MakeItTrizzle wrote:Ah, yeah RIT dye wouldn't do it then, it works on nylon plastics (like lacrosse heads).

50 Shades of Bley (video).
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby NimbusAConflict » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:38 pm

I think I like the spray and watch system better though. I really don't want to be dealing with possible production of bromine.

Real men spray and pray.

To bad we couldn't get this stickied or some such.
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/
When the End of the World comes, I can assure you, I will be partying to hard to notice.
NimbusAConflict
Grizzled Veteran

Postby LowestFormOfWit » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:39 pm

I'd like to point out both methods involve the Acetone that loosens these pathways, which is the key way to properly dye a LEGO brick.

Vinyl dye works on the same concept. It uses Acetone (should be on the can of any true Vinyl Dye) to open up pathways in the surface of the brick that allow the color dye to seem into and penetrate the plastic.

This modified RIT dye method is simply doing it in two steps. The Acetone opens up the pathways, the RIT dye penetrates said pathways with color. Straight RIT dye would likely fail, miserably.
LowestFormOfWit
Grizzled Veteran

Postby NimbusAConflict » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:51 pm

Quite likely. BUT.... there is one thing I could see doing with RIT. Mixing your own tones. You could do your own custom colors much easier.
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/
When the End of the World comes, I can assure you, I will be partying to hard to notice.
NimbusAConflict
Grizzled Veteran

Postby MittenNinja » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:07 pm

There are some really slick effects you can create with this technique. I'm going to have the do some experimenting...
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby Dukayn » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:54 pm

Mantisking wrote:
MakeItTrizzle wrote:Ah, yeah RIT dye wouldn't do it then, it works on nylon plastics (like lacrosse heads).

50 Shades of Bley (video).

Interesting video. The guy's quite amusing to watch, actually. I did like the gradiated purple, that looked cool.

Also he mentions that Lego does no dark yellow, yet the Chima line definitely has that golden yellow in it which is darker than standard Lego yellow. I'd usually say it's an older video, but it's from June this year so he should be aware of the Chima line as an obvious Lego fan.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Foghammer » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:58 am

He shows a graph near the beginning that has a Chima fig and racer in it. The racer is the yellow color you speak of.
Foghammer
Old Guard

Postby Dukayn » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:07 am

Hmm, so I wonder why he says Lego doesn't do that darker shade yellow. Unless it's not dark enough for him, but the dyed yellow he got looked very Chima-yellow to me (the one he calls Kirk Yellow).
Dukayn
Mod Team

PreviousNext

Return to The Toolbox