Color Schemes?

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Color Schemes?

Postby addking » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:00 pm

I'm just thinking about color set-ups. I'm guessing I'm not the only returning to LEGO builder and I've noticed this is an area where some people are much better than others, at getting a great look. I'm sure lots of us are fielding the rainbow at the start, I'm wondering if anyone has noted some clean, classic, nicely playing together colors? The white/black/trans blue on the Armored of God is very sweet IMHO, nearly iconic. From a shorthand point of view, having a color theme let's people know what you're about. Is that Haski's Hammers or Estar's Anvil across the table?

Your perception of some types of groups are often influenced by color, without thinking about it. What color is a taxi cab or the police? Construction worker equipment for example: yellow main/black undercarriage/grey for accent colors, is a shorthand (Repurposed frames some Free Colonists?) While it's Fluff, are there any sort of 'official' colors for the Ijad or TTA or UMFL forces?

Tips/Advice?

I suppose this could go in the Background forum instead (if I dropped it in the wrong spot!)
addking
Talkative

Re: Color Schemes?

Postby Ced23Ric » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:42 pm

Myself, I am playing with an Ijad force main, and thusly, my colour scheme is going to be the mentioned iconic b/w with trans-blue. I try to keep it clean and simple thusly. With the SU Forces I will add to the mix, i'll do a darkgrey/light blue mix, with trans-orange. The colonists I intend to field later are going to be "industrial" colours - grey tones, yellow and trans-brown, where applicable.

I try and find colours that match the purpose/setting. Free Colonists are rag-tag, SU are distinct and harsh/militaristic, Ijad are clear and aesthetic. :)
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby CrimsonKMR » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:46 pm

My SU force will be a mix of greens, black, and probably dark gray/silver
CrimsonKMR
Talkative

Postby potsticker » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:10 pm

I'm not going to lie, I look at a lot of mecha from Gundam, Macross, SRW, and other sources and see what sort of paint schemes they use, what parts are colored one way and which another.
potsticker
Talkative

Postby Mantisking » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:18 pm

I built an Ijad Scrambler in Dark Bley and Yellow. I'm thinking about doing a whole squad that way.

I have a couple of Hi-Legs in Yellow, Black, and Light Bley. I may make more.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Tetrajak » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:39 am

My Ijad are going to be the same as the ones Soren has been building; white, with blue features, and trans-blue minor features.

I'll also be building a Terran Transit Authority squad, which I'll be making in white, with red features, and dark bley joints.
Tetrajak
Talkative

Postby carbonbass » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:54 am

I've always liked the hodgepodge greys plus a splash of one, maybe two colors tops, using the color more as a unit marker and to give some contrast to the grey.

Then of course I always like to have a Red/black mech, because having the Red Comet as a playable character is always the right decision.
"You find two men having a fist fight over peaches, sell both of them a rock, then let them fight some more. After that, offer to sell one of them a rock tied to a stick, and see who will pay more." ~ Loyd Wilson - Wilson Industries.
carbonbass
Talkative

Postby Tetrajak » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:10 am

carbonbass wrote:I've always liked the hodgepodge greys plus a splash of one, maybe two colors tops, using the color more as a unit marker and to give some contrast to the grey.

I admit I want to make a very 'walking tank' style frame in grey, and an entire company of them. I think it would look awesome :D
Tetrajak
Talkative

Postby Ced23Ric » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:14 am

I like what Mittens did with his colonists, by the way. Clean, yet still riff-raff, replacing some finer parts for simpler versions, it catches the "salvaged" and "repurposed" look very well- Considering that Orion VI is a desert planet, the colours are bang-on. I like that, too.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby schoon » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:14 am

It's very difficult to go wrong with a neutral color (white, grey, tan, black) with an accent color from somewhere else on the color wheel. This is my preference.

However, there are a huge number of other complimentary possibilities that would work. I'd suggest checking this out if your interested in the subject.
schoon
Site Admin

Postby David Artman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:43 am

If you want to explore aesthetically pleasing color pallettes, check this site out:
http://www.colourlovers.com/palettes

You might want to start by searching on a color that you have a lot of good bits for, or that you know you're going to use for a torso, or what-not.
David Artman
Talkative

Postby lt_col_thorin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:25 pm

My Colonists are/will be Black, Yellow and Orange to give them a feel of construction mechs converted for fighting.
I build 3p because gargantuan Frames are awesome.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lt_col_thorin/
lt_col_thorin
Young Gun

Postby addking » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:27 am

Well, a slight update on my Ijad (sorta): I built some scramblers in LDD, and I just started playing with the available colors.

Interesting to note a couple of pieces don't come in all that many choices (the ring base, the 3x3 radar and the 2x2 slopes on the back legs) so I'm leaning heavily towards mostly white w/ a red color (either "red closer to cherry" or "rust/brown red"), black undercarriage.

I had one done up in Sand Green/Tan that had promise but I just couldn't strike the right balance. I'll give that another go before I mashing bricklink orders thru.
addking
Talkative

Postby Ced23Ric » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:35 am

Rustred would be wicked with the white and black. Pure red would look more toyish.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Soren » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:44 am

If you're not sure where to start, try developing a completely grayscale design and adding color gradually. White or light gray + black is a good way to check that all the body shapes are working together and that your design has a strong silhouette. It's also a lot cheaper to buy a ton of bricks in two or three colors (light gray and white + black is what I used for all of the original designs) and then add accent color bit by bit.

Yellow and other bright colors like lime green are functionally equivalent to white. Tan, sand green, and similar desaturated colors are all pretty close in value to Lego light gray, and you should try working in a more vibrant accent rather than pairing two of them - orange and sand green is a particularly nice combination. Dark blue and green are close to black, and dark red or brown matches up pretty well with dark grey. Try snapping a picture and desaturating it in the image editing software of your choice - you'll see pretty quick. High-contrast reads better at a distance.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby timonkey » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:54 am

I've got some rainbow of course, but most I'm able to get into a color scheme are black, or black and white, or black and gray. I avoid too much white, because old white pieces tend to get "dirty" or something and not quite be white. Also, does anyone else find it frustrating that there have been 3 or 4 different grays over the years? The new metallic one is especially annoying. I think I only have 1 flat rounds in that color.

I've got one that's black and gray with bright orange accents. It looks pretty good.

I also have a company build around an openable box piece with a translucent orange front door that sort of looks like a face. I picture it as a radiation shield, coming from repurposed industrial frames.

I try to use translucent pieces to match the die color of the attachment. So the energy coming out of jetpacks are green (actually, they may be blue, oops!), defensive force fields are blue, lasers are red, spotlights or targeting lasers are yellow. Although I don't have enough red stuff, so I've used some yellow for SSRs.
timonkey
Chatty

Postby CaGeRit » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:15 am

I was going to try for a black, grey and sand green scheme. It looked good in the designer, but the sand green blocks are a pain to get in any significant number and variety on brick link so I went with lime green instead.
CaGeRit
Newcomer

Postby MittenNinja » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:39 am

CaGeRit wrote:I was going to try for a black, grey and sand green scheme. It looked good in the designer, but the sand green blocks are a pain to get in any significant number and variety on brick link so I went with lime green instead.

yeah they don't make a ton of stuff in sand green, although that hasn't stopped me from using it! the Brandenburg gate set has a metric boatload of sand green cheese slopes as well as a good amount of 1x2 tiles, which I have used to good effect most recently here.

www.flickr.com/photos/mittenninja/69742 ... hotostream
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion