Trolling for fun and profit

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Trolling for fun and profit

Postby Carda » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:07 pm

It's not what it sounds like. I was digging through my Lego bin and came across one of those big troll figures from the recent Castle line (the one before Kingdoms, with the orcs and skeletons). This gave me the idea to build some attachments for him and make him a big melee bruiser, probably d6Rh d6Rh + d8Rh .

Has anyone else considered doing this? I'm actually tempted to put together an entire troll company this way.
My wife doesn't really think I should go around calling myself a MoF0.
Carda
Newcomer

Re: Trolling for fun and profit

Postby MittenNinja » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:10 pm

I could even see using the MFZ ruleset to play a fantasy setting wargame. Orcs, goblins, knights, elves, etc. Could be pretty cool!
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby Augustine » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:36 pm

MittenNinja wrote:I could even see using the MFZ ruleset to play a fantasy setting wargame. Orcs, goblins, knights, elves, etc. Could be pretty cool!

I see an addon pack coming in the future...
Augustine
Newcomer

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:42 pm

Hey, now, no getting ahead of the publisher!
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Wadmaasi » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:57 pm

Yeah! You owe us space combat and TRANSFORMATION (delivered in Captain Global accent) rules first.
Wadmaasi
Been Around The Block

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:57 am

I gotta say, the Transformation option was so unpopular, I think I'll probably do other, more interesting things first. But pikemen and trebuchets are definitely not next.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Ced23Ric » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:04 am

What about wizards, elven archers and pirate skeletons? That must be higher on the priority list, eh?
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Wadmaasi » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:52 am

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:I gotta say, the Transformation option was so unpopular, I think I'll probably do other, more interesting things first.

wat.

I'll be a desperately sad child of the 80s cartoon era if I don't get me a Soren-designed Valkyrie.
Wadmaasi
Been Around The Block

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:44 am

See, the thing is, you can already do that. It's a movement system. It's not like Hikaru makes a decision like, "OK, I'll be a robot for a while, then I'll switch to being a plane." It's all in the moment. In the space of a second, he'll be rolling on the ground to get out of the way of a gun fight, then leaps into the air, flies in a loop, then switches back into a robot to punch the guy.

We have an idea for how to do this in a fun way, but it's be a small part of a broader set of rules that we have to develop first.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby David Artman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:48 am

David Artman
Talkative

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:57 am

Yeah, if there are LEGO® Mumakil, I don't know if I'm going to be able to hold myself back.

But the thing that's most exciting about that to me is that the One Ring looks to be a stud with no tube, with an internal diameter of an antenna: an incredibly useful part.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Zero Revenge » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:24 am

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:See, the thing is, you can already do that. It's a movement system. It's not like Hikaru makes a decision like, "OK, I'll be a robot for a while, then I'll switch to being a plane." It's all in the moment. In the space of a second, he'll be rolling on the ground to get out of the way of a gun fight, then leaps into the air, flies in a loop, then switches back into a robot to punch the guy.

We have an idea for how to do this in a fun way, but it's be a small part of a broader set of rules that we have to develop first.

**sigh of relief**

I'm just glad it's still on the list.

I didn't think that Transformation was unpopular. Just, everyone wanted Space Battles rule instead...

Now maybe one day, I will have my little micromecha squad of Overflags...
Self-appointed lore buff.
http://mfzarcadia.wordpress.com/ - Keep up to date on the War for Arcadia
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Wadmaasi » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:33 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:See, the thing is, you can already do that. It's a movement system.

For Macross, at least, it's not just a movement system, though. Macross Zero makes it pretty explicit that the properties of a battroid-mode Valkyrie are different than the properties of a fighter-mode. That first slow-mo TRANSFORMATION (delivered in Captain Global accent) we see Roy do in the VF-0 shows energy from the powerplant being diverted to the reactive armor (somehow...), that sorta thing.

Now, I'm not looking for MFZ TRANSFORMATION (delivered in Captain Global accent) Edition to ape Macross mecha. Because, you're right, I can already do that in my head if I like. But as a game-player, not a -designer, I'm extremely interested in what rules people who've been influenced by Macross (and others, of course) mecha come up with for me to play. This is based on the assumption that a frame in Mode A is going to act differently somehow from the same frame in Mode B...or else why would it need to be able to transform at all?
Wadmaasi
Been Around The Block

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:52 pm

Yeah, that's the thing, and the reason it's not at the top of the list: it has to be not just a system clicked into the rest of the game. It has to really provide a new, well-considered experience. In a Captain Global voice.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Wadmaasi » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:24 pm

I'm on-board with that. I think I voted space combat, anyhow...but only 'cause both were promised. =P
Wadmaasi
Been Around The Block

Postby David Artman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:36 pm

Anyone else interested in the OP about using non-mecha units (minifigs) and changing the color of the attack types from technology to melee/projectiles/magic? "Cause I kind of was, before all the talk about transformation (which is mostly color, unless you're talking about a frame that can morph between two system loadouts, or something--I'll happily speculate in a new thread!).
-----
Defend, melee, and DF dice all convert trivially to fantasy/mideval "systems" of shields, swords/axes, and slings/bows/crossbows.
Artillery dice would, I suppose, be represented either by magic or by siege weapons (catapults, trebuchets, ballistae).
Movement dice could be mounts, magic, and artifacts (e.g., flying carpet).
Spot is the weird one... almost certainly a magic-only effect.

Although... upon re-reading the OP... I'm now imagining a group of mechs trying to take on a native species that's the size of the troll fig! Almost an Avatar clone, but bigger-scaled aliens.

Bitchin'....

And now I'm thinking of all that Pirate LEGO stuff... and how you could hack MF0 to run ship-v-ship naval battles, where the CREW provides "system dice" and losing crew costs you the dice (per normal play).

Woah....
David Artman
Talkative

Postby Ced23Ric » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:56 pm

Spotting in a fantasy setting? "Unveil". ;)
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby randolph » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:58 pm

David Artman wrote:Spot is the weird one... almost certainly a magic-only effect.

d6W as spot could be as simple as "Hey! Shoot that guy!"

d6Y means you can spot targets behind cover, which could still be relatively low-tech/non-magical: a thrown torch, a flaming arrow, a falcon trained to circle overhead.

d6Y d6Y means you can spot targets anywhere on the battlefield, but I think you can still get a lot of leeway in representing this: a beastmaster with a telepathic link to his hawk familiar, a scrying cauldron/crystal ball/magic mirror, a bladeseeking curse (magnetize the armor), a radiance spell. I suppose a falcon trained to circle overhead could still be within the realm of believability, depending on the size of the battlefield.
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:03 pm

I've had yellow dice that were command flags. For two, you give the guy a telescope.

Other old-timey communications methods: conchs and horns, couriers, big fans, drummers, a map that you used to pre-plan the battle.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby David Artman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:12 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:I've had yellow dice that were command flags. For two, you give the guy a telescope.
Other old-timey communications methods: conchs and horns, couriers, big fans, drummers, a map that you used to pre-plan the battle.

Hmmm... so spot really is more generalized than, say, making it easier to hit a target situationally. That is to say, I'm having trouble visualizing how some flag waving by a commanding general would help my archer do more damage to a target behind cover.

But I can hand-wave. My idea for spot on the pirate hack was a dude in the crowsnest with a spyglass, so I guess I can work with drums and a map. I'd just want the unit with spot dice to be able to logically (err... well, with verisimilitude) both see better than non-spotting units and communicate that vision to other units (including those not on my team, Beastmaster!). Which is why I figured magic, predominately.
David Artman
Talkative

Next

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion