RPG 7 SSR Concept [LDD]

Show off and discuss all your Attachment creations here; weapons, defenses, sensors, and movement options.

RPG 7 SSR Concept [LDD]

Postby CmdrRook » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:07 pm

I've seen a few RPG designs floating around, and truth be told, the RPG 7 was one of the first things I cobbled together in LDD. The unfortunate aspects of using a "Female Function Element" piece for the launcher instead of a combination of megaphone and 1x1 round bricks (the inability to color the firing assembly and back-blast tube independantly) were outweighed by the structural soundness and simplicity of my final design, in my opinion. But that's opinions for you. I'll let you be the final judge.

I submit, for your approval, the M7 Multi-Use Anti-Frame Launcher as either a standard frame weapon or Single-Shot Rocket.

The 30cm warhead contains a shaped charge capable of penetrating any modern armor with a direct hit. An unguided rocket motor rapidly accelerates this 250kg assembly to over 700 meters per second. Stabilizing fins are deployed after firing, bringing the total length of the projectile to a respectable 3 and a half meters. As such, the only logical application of this launcher is from a mounted, crew-served position, or -more desirably- as a Frame-mounted weapon, as depicted below.

The Capuchin Scout Frame, demonstrating the ease of use the M7 by wielding it along-side the LR-4 10cm Precision Rifle.

Sharing this in the hopes that someone can brick this out, eventually. My hopes aren't high, given the limited availability of the function pieces or any reasonably-colored ice-cream cones.

[Edited to list correct piece.]
Last edited by CmdrRook on Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Re: RPG 7 SSR Concept [LDD]

Postby MoronicCinamun » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:28 pm

I certainly like the look of it!
What is that piece you use with the "fins"? What did you use for the tube? Does it actually fit in there with the fins or is that a separate piece used for an "after" shot?
So many questions, so many unique pieces!
Also, just some fluff nitpicking but 30mm is probably too small, considering even a standard rpg is larger than that and this is further up scaled for 'Frame use (I'd assume) ;)
MoronicCinamun
Talkative

Postby CmdrRook » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:27 pm

MoronicCinamun wrote:I certainly like the look of it!
What is that piece you use with the "fins"? What did you use for the tube? Does it actually fit in there with the fins or is that a separate piece used for an "after" shot?
So many questions, so many unique pieces!
Also, just some fluff nitpicking but 30mm is probably too small, considering even a standard rpg is larger than that and this is further up scaled for 'Frame use (I'd assume) ;)

30cm = 300mm
The fins are a piece in LDD's "decorative" section known as an "Upper Bracelet" piece, and is only added to the rockets shown out of the launcher. Only the ice-cream cone and 1x1 cone brick are actually loaded into the launcher. The launcher tube is a piece known as a "Function Element: Female" and found in the same folder as the bracelet. Fun-Fact, because the connection at the long end of the tube is a stud, I had to connect the end cone to a shaft. Fortunately, the Female Function Piece has ample space for it.

Answering questions brings me joy, and I appreciate the feedback, regardless.

[Edited to list correct piece.]
Last edited by CmdrRook on Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby mraichelson » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:37 pm

CmdrRook wrote:30cm = 300mm

I think what he was trying to say was that at-scale that's only 1 plate high though. To put it in perspective: at 7p scale the main body of the rpg itself is 1 brick in diameter. Which would make it about, err, math math. 75ish* cm? (that's about 2 feet for us heathen 'murricans).

* 1 brick (width measure) = 2.5 plates (height measure)
I put together frame building kits (and links to folks selling companies) at MobileFra.me.
mraichelson
Grizzled Veteran

Postby mraichelson » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:38 pm

I feel bad for doing math about what's supposed to be a fun game using Lego.
I put together frame building kits (and links to folks selling companies) at MobileFra.me.
mraichelson
Grizzled Veteran

Postby CmdrRook » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:08 am

It's fine to want to crunch the numbers, but in reality, a lego microfigure's head is 1 brick in diameter. We know a person's head is not 2.5 feet wide, but we're working with medium of limited resolution. 30cm is 1 foot, roughly. The frame rpg's warhead is approximately 1 foot wide by 2.5 feet long, with the rocket booster being equivalent in size. The pylons for the stabilizing fins add another 3 feet, give or take, bringing the total length to 8 feet. The result is we have dimensions that are more accurate in length than they are in diameter, simply because they don't make bricks that are thinner. I included the microfigure to accentuate the scale. If the figure is 1.8 meters tall, and the whole rocket assembly is almost twice as tall as the figure, the math checks out. As much as it can, at least.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby MoronicCinamun » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:03 am

No I admit my mistake: I read 30mm rather than cm (oops lol)
I'm so used to seeing it in mm I guess expected "300mm" :p
MoronicCinamun
Talkative

Postby CmdrRook » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:11 am

Turns out I have completely mislead myself and everyone here. The launcher is primarily constructed of the FEMALE function element, rather than the male. It's basically a long-ass megaphone. That is all. Carry on.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby MoronicCinamun » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:14 am

CmdrRook wrote:Turns out I have completely mislead myself and everyone here. The launcher is primarily constructed of the FEMALE function element, rather than the male. It's basically a long-ass megaphone. That is all. Carry on.

Ah, that would explain why searching for the male bit on google brought up these poles with 90degree sticks at ends :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MoronicCinamun
Talkative

Postby CmdrRook » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:17 am

Yeah, I'll fix that up in the other posts so folks don't get confused.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Weapon & Equipment Designs