[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mobile Frame Hangar • View topic - Planning a 'Frame with LDD - "Birdlegs"

Planning a 'Frame with LDD - "Birdlegs"

Have any pesky questions about techniques, or need advice on how to build a certain section for your frame? Post them here. Tips & tricks welcome.

Planning a 'Frame with LDD - "Birdlegs"

Postby Ced23Ric » Fri May 11, 2012 9:01 am

1. Ugh, what.
First of all, I need an inspiration to work with. Something, that I am going for, what the feel should be like. Sometimes, I get ideas from BattleTech designs, sometimes, a subsection of a different 'Frame branches out into a new 'Frame in it's own right. This time, I saw the 'Frame by DRADA and wondered, if I could build a 'Frame with long bridlegs and all (or at least, the main weaponry) attached to the center torso. Maybe have some stubby thing where arms would be. But deffo nonhumanoid.

2. Build Sequence
I usually start with what comes easier. Most of the time, it's the center torso or the legs, because that provides a good basis to attach the rest, play around and approach the subject with minor changes to get a feeling going. This time, I tried my hands at legs, and when I do legs, it's feet first for me. So ... I get bored and am disatisfied with my own ideas. Eventually, I say hutch it, and look for ideas to solve my problem. As it happened to be, Soren's Hi-Legs are close to what I am going for, at least legwise. So I take those feet, and slightly alter them, add thighs, a joint ... and so on.

This is what I get at this stage of building:

~to be continued~
Image - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Re: Build A 'Frame - Digital Version

Postby DarkwingDon » Fri May 11, 2012 10:29 am

Glad to see im not alone in using block color grouping to design and brainstorm when working in MLCad. Is this a pretty standard way of doing thing?

I just started using MLCad a few weeks ago and it seems like a pretty easy program to use, but if anyone has tips or tricks they would like to share, I would not mind hearing them :mrgreen:
DarkwingDon
Young Gun

Postby Ced23Ric » Fri May 11, 2012 11:10 am

Heh, nah. I usually build everything in dark and light grey, and colourise as I go along. I am doing the colorcoding right now to show the individual areas I am working on. Makes it easier to follow. :)

3. This blows.
So I go on and realise that another joint would be necessary to mount these legs to a torso, and that would bring the torso way up high - and make it look like poop. So the white joint flies out of the window and I tackle the task again, this time trying to combine joint and mount into one piece. It needs to be shorter than the lower leg, to put the torso above the feet and not over them. Also, the longer lower legs make the 'Frame more stalky-birdy. So, with that said and done, I go to town, click somethign together, add armor and greebly bits, beef up the legs a bit and already have a decent way to mount a torso. Copy & Paste, invert the parts that need to be mirrored, step done.

Next-Up: Torso.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Mantisking » Fri May 11, 2012 11:23 am

-- A MFZ blog.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Wadmaasi » Fri May 11, 2012 11:28 am

I like those feet.
Wadmaasi
Been Around The Block

Postby Ced23Ric » Fri May 11, 2012 11:37 am

Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Ced23Ric » Fri May 11, 2012 11:43 am

6. This looks odd and I don't like it.
So, when I put it all together, it looks like a someone is really scared of stepping on raw eggs. The legs are way too far apart, the torso kinda hovers there, the legs seem like an after thought and the flow is ruined. Ruined, you here me? No, no, no, uneccaptable. Back to the drawing board, Chris. You can't possibly want to field a 'Frame like that. The launcher is nice, though. Heh. Lookit that spine dangling down!

Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby MittenNinja » Fri May 11, 2012 11:51 am

I don't think it looks as bad as you think it does.

it reminds me of the nova/Blackhawk from battletech.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby Ced23Ric » Fri May 11, 2012 12:03 pm

Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Mantisking » Fri May 11, 2012 12:07 pm

You could look at . He has a ton of chicken walkers.

-- A MFZ blog.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Ced23Ric » Fri May 11, 2012 12:16 pm

Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby MittenNinja » Fri May 11, 2012 12:32 pm

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby Dukayn » Fri May 11, 2012 12:35 pm

Not a bad looking frame there. Nice to see it all come together as you worked it out.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Fri May 11, 2012 12:57 pm

-- A MFZ blog.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Ced23Ric » Fri May 11, 2012 1:31 pm

Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Wadmaasi » Fri May 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Wadmaasi
Been Around The Block

Postby Ced23Ric » Fri May 11, 2012 8:41 pm

Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby randolph » Fri May 11, 2012 9:08 pm

That's one sexy frame.

Inexorable. Progress.
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Wadmaasi » Sat May 12, 2012 12:15 am

Wadmaasi
Been Around The Block

Postby Spiralbound » Sat May 12, 2012 8:09 am

I'd like to chime in with a thank you to Ced23Ric for the design diary. I found it extremely insightful to be able to peer over his shoulder and listen in on his thoughts, design rationale, piece selection, and even CAD methodology. EVERYTHING about this thread was very useful and helpful to me. I invite some of the other frequent posters to chime in with their own Frame Design Diary threads as well. :-)
Spiralbound
Newcomer

Next

Return to The Toolbox