Sisyphus Class Aldrin Cycler HVA

This forum is for any Intercept Orbit creations.

Sisyphus Class Aldrin Cycler HVA

Postby The Hydromancer » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:54 am

The Sisyphus class is a dedicated light cargo transport for when you are more concerned about saving money/fuel than moving your goods quickly. A small fleet of these ships can function as the commercial backbone of a solar system, constantly riding the Hohmmann transfer routes with only minimum upkeep. The main comm/navigation array is mirrored by a backup in case of damage, and 4 POL tanks are standard, although for delivery rather than consumption (although the latter is possible in a pinch).

Typically the ship lacks a crew, instead relying on the Hohmmann transfer orbits and minor computer directed adjustments to maintain their course. The ship can be reconfigured for manning however, and its relatively common for high value deliveries to be overseen by a tiny crew. Small wings of cyclers may be slaved to a single crewed ship as well, the manual ship herding the rest.

ImageSisyphus Class Aldrin Cycler Running Dry by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

The transport has 8 special berths, standard commercial container compatible, for dangerous/high value goods behind rails that run along the sides of the ship. The rails themselves provide only light protection against micro impacts, but are designed to mount additional layers of protection as will be seen in other images.

ImageSisyphus Class Aldrin Cycler HVC by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

A series of collars add 8 secondary mounting berths for containers, as well as enveloping the inner layer of the original 8 containers with physical protection. Additionally the 8 new containers will provide another layer of defense for the more valuable and/or dangerous inner cargo. Typically when transporting high value goods, the collars are expected to be mounted even if the secondary berths are not in use for the good of the inner containers.

ImageSisyphus Class Aldrin Cycler Double Stacked by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

A second series of collars can be mounted to the first, not only adding tertiary space for an additional 10 cargo transport containers, but also allowing for completely enveloping the original 8 cargo with a wall of less valuable containers. This is the max load configuration for the standard Sisyphus light transport, although variations certainly exist as necessity dictates.

ImageSisyphus Class Aldrin Cycler Triple Stacked by The Hydromancer, on Flickr
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
Wears down the cliff tops, the mountains.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_hydromancer/
Master Chubdam Database
Master Solar Union/Federation Fleet Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Sisyphus Class Aldrin Cycler HVA

Postby Artasid » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:08 am

That is an ingenious use for those pipe rail parts. I've always had a hard time trying to find some way to use them, but here they are stylish, practical and functional.
I tip my hat off to your skills Good Sir.
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Arctic Banana » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:45 am

I love the modularity of this ship. Just replace the tanks with weapon mounts, bolt some armor plates to the rails (or just use empty shipping containers), and some colony has a bunch of budget frigates.

ImageUpgunned Sisyphus
They just have to be careful not to shoot their own comms array off.

Unfortunately I don't have any of those rails, but I made do.
If playing Dungeons & Dragons has taught me one thing, it's that you should probably not trust someone who introduces themselves with the phrase "GREETINGS FELLOW MORTALS IT IS I."
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Postby The Hydromancer » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:09 pm

The rails are something I've had a few ideas to try out with, but haven't had the chance to play with as much. In this particular case, I started using them for an attempt at a Lion from SRW and it just wasn't working out. Instead I decided to jump in a different direction, check another item off the #NaMoFraFArMo. Carried the rail over and it just flowed from there.

That dark Sisyphus is beautiful, I should play with darker colors like that more often. I really love that grate too, where did that come from!

---

An example of a disguised carrier, this Sisyphus purposely mimics the silhouette of a fully loaded configuration. The outer shipping containers on the right side of the ship have been converted into a hangar and launch catapult for a mobile frame company. The left side containers have been reinforced with armor plating, and the pilot will attempt to keep that side towards incoming fire as if it was a frame's shield. 8 AFA guns are mounted in place of the secondary containers to discourage boarding attempts by enemy mobile frames.

For obvious reasons, the POL tanks are empty and only remain to help spoof long range recognition for as long as possible. Extra supplies and ammunition for the mobile frame company assigned to the ship are typcial held in the 8 inner shipping containers, where they are better protected.

ImageSisyphus Disguised Carrier by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

This converted missible boat mounts 8 missile launch bays are behind the rails, half oriented up and half down, with armor plating to provide cover for the magazines. This design is purposefully nothing fancy, just something to flesh out a Free Colony fleet. They might be be wired as drones, used as semi-disposable pods.

ImageSisyphus Missile Boat by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

An extreme example of building off the base Sisyphus craft, this is the Aldrin's Revenge, a neatly packaged but nonetheless cobbled together capital ship of the Free Colonies. The ship features twin railgun turrets, 4 point defense clusters of AFA guns, and the 2 standard com/nav arrays of the traditional craft operating in tandem. A POL tank has been repurposed for dedicated fuel, the housing mounted between the engine's burn cans and the super structure. In order to support the additional crew a capital requires, expanded living quarters and working areas have been grafted onto the top and bottom of the ship, including a new bridge.

ImageSisyphus Captial Upgrade, Aldrin's Revenge by The Hydromancer, on Flickr
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby SamSam » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:32 pm

theys is Boss! Capitol ship is best one of all!
what's inside look like? Instrux plz?
SamSam
Talkative

Postby The Hydromancer » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:30 pm

ImageSisyphus Class guts by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

Its pretty simple and straight forward. Primarily composed of 2 2x6 plates, 2 1x6 plates, and 3 travis bricks. Anything else is just gravy on top.
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:09 pm

Just passing by to say that I absolutely love those!

They are basically greebly Nimbuses, which is by all means a great thing!

Cant way to churn some out!
VitorFaria (she/her)
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Arctic Banana » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:21 pm

The Hydromancer wrote:That dark Sisyphus is beautiful, I should play with darker colors like that more often. I really love that grate too, where did that come from!

Thanks! They're the colors I had. It was either dark blue and gray, or a hodgepodge of random colors. The grates come from some Halo Megabloks kit.

The Hydromancer wrote:Its pretty simple and straight forward. Primarily composed of 2 2x6 plates, 2 1x6 plates, and 3 travis bricks. Anything else is just gravy on top.

That's exactly how I'd figured it, except I used one less Travis brick (the one in the middle of the 1x6s).
If playing Dungeons & Dragons has taught me one thing, it's that you should probably not trust someone who introduces themselves with the phrase "GREETINGS FELLOW MORTALS IT IS I."
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Return to Intercept Orbit