Belser Empire Fleet

This forum is for any Intercept Orbit creations.

Belser Empire Fleet

Postby Arctic Banana » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:58 pm

!! WARNING !!
A huge battleship
is approaching fast!

ImageBelser Empire Fleet
I've actually wanted to make a Darius-inspired fleet for a while, but I never really had the motivation to try it until the fishy MMMIG. So here it is, the most famous fish-themed evil empire in video games, the Belser Empire. They like to give their ships creative and sometimes bewildering names. For every "Emperor Fossil", "Guard Savage", and "Titanic Lance", there's a "Bio Strong", "Hyper Great Thing", and "My Home Daddy".

ImageImage
Starting with my submission for the MMMIG, and the first ship of the fleet I built, Slaughter Blalloc. I decided to base it as a frigate instead of a capital ship because all but the absolutely largest ships in the Darius series are surprisingly agile (just look at how Queen Fossil moves!). Shown here still on a capital ship base because I didn't take new pictures.
d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B d6G d6W d6W

ImageImage
Next, Albino Jester. Based on a clownfish, but I didn't have the right parts in black and orange, so I used white and yellow instead, thus the name.
d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6Y d6G d6W d6W

ImageImage
The shark-based cruiser, Savage Gabban. Possibly related to Guard Savage. Despite being a shark, it's the smallest ship in the fleet. Maybe it's a dogfish.
d6Rd d6Rd d6Rh d6Rh d6B d6G d6W d6W

ImageImageImage
The carrier, Alloy Lantern, and its "frame companies", a couple swarms of fish-shaped fighters and an Ace. In the games, after defeating Alloy Lantern, you fly inside it to face the final boss.
d6Rd d6Rd d6K d6K d6B d6W d6W

ImageImage
Finally, the big one, Colossal Spear. Based on Titanic Lance, who is so big he is his own stage.
d6Ra d6Ra d6Rh d6Rh d6B d6Y d6W d6W

Obviously I can't stat these ships out completely accurately to the Darius games, because they deploy egregious amounts of firepower, but I think I got them pretty close for IO.
If playing Dungeons & Dragons has taught me one thing, it's that you should probably not trust someone who introduces themselves with the phrase "GREETINGS FELLOW MORTALS IT IS I."
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Re: Belser Empire Fleet

Postby Artasid » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:41 am

These are masterfully made, Artic Banana! I am actually jealous of the level of detail you put into each one. The Angler carrier especially deserves special note with all those fangs and opening 'hanger mouth'
I'm surprised you didn't give it a d6Y for it's bioluminescent lure, unless that's the d6Rd d6Rd in which case, you can disregard this. lol
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Atavism » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:37 pm

This is a lot of fun, man, great work!
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Arctic Banana » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:40 am

Artasid wrote:I'm surprised you didn't give it a d6Y for it's bioluminescent lure, unless that's the d6Rd d6Rd in which case, you can disregard this. lol

It could go either way. I considered it, but the Belser Empire would appear to prefer overwhelming firepower over precision, and also I had forgotten to put any other visible weapon systems on it.Although I suppose I could give it the d6Y instead of d6B ; I find I'm still thinking of these ships in terms of the games, where you're fighting them as a single fighter craft, and not really in terms of how they'd handle ship-to-ship combat.

Clever Natu and Cunning Roguma, a pair of rapid assault cruisers. Not especially tough, but they attack as a pair to cover each other and are usually supported by swarms of fighters. The design is modified from the fish in Mitsuru Nikaido's coral reef.
d6Rd d6Rd d6Rh d6Rh d6Y d6G d6W d6W

ImageImage
Double Scissors is a close-range assault ship, closing fast with enemy ships and ripping them apart with its claws.
d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh d6B d6G d6W d6W

ImageImage
Double Scissors' bigger sibling, Dual Shears is a carrier, its claws functioning as hangars and flight decks instead of weapons, relying instead batteries of anti-aircraft weaponry for defense.
d6Rh d6Rh d6K d6K d6B d6W d6W

ImageImage
One of the Empire's command ships, Alpha Medusa carries an impressive sensor array in addition to the usual formidable firepower. However, it's comparatively more fragile than other ships in the fleet, and depends on the rest of the battle group to protect it from harm. Construction note: the bell is on a 2x2 turntable, so it can spin.
d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6Y d6Y d6W d6W
If playing Dungeons & Dragons has taught me one thing, it's that you should probably not trust someone who introduces themselves with the phrase "GREETINGS FELLOW MORTALS IT IS I."
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:51 pm

Those are all gorgeous!

You really dominated the sea life theme!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Arctic Banana » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:12 pm

I've updated Dual Shears. I wasn't totally happy with its claws (they're supposed to be the aircraft hangars), so I made some better ones.
ImageImageImage

And here are the fighter squadrons/"frame companies", with an Ace attached to the far left squadron. I personally am rather fond of the blue angelfish and the crabs.
ImageImageImage
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Postby Mantisking » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:10 pm

This entire fleet has an amazing amount of character.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby The Hydromancer » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:56 pm

I've never seen some go some hard such a short time. Magnificent! Double Scissors and Dual Shears are my favs, will have to play with those designs some time. I want to make a squad of my shrimp to serve on the Dual Shears one day.

ImageBrowncow & Shrimp by The Hydromancer, on Flickr
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
Wears down the cliff tops, the mountains.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_hydromancer/
Master Chubdam Database
Master Solar Union/Federation Fleet Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Arctic Banana » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:16 pm

The Hydromancer wrote:I've never seen some go some hard such a short time. Magnificent! Double Scissors and Dual Shears are my favs, will have to play with those designs some time. I want to make a squad of my shrimp to serve on the Dual Shears one day.

When I get some inspiration, I try to make the most of it while I can. Also that shrimp is adorable.

ImageIronhead and Chinfish
Ironheads are the standard transport vessels of the Belser Empire. It's not intended for direct ship-to-ship combat, though it can perform adequately in that role; rather it takes advantage of its superheavy forward armor to physically smash through enemy lines and deliver troops or supplies to the planetside front lines, where it then uses its large-bore cannons to support Belser Army ground troops. Alternately, an Ironhead's cargo bay is large enough to instead carry and support a single squad of fighter craft.
An increasingly common modification to the Ironhead arms it with long-range cannons.The cargo bay is used to house the necessary mechanisms and ammunition for the upgraded armament. Due to the location of the cannons, this variant has been nicknamed the "Chinfish".
Ironhead transport/carrier - d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6K d6G d6W d6W
Ironhead "Chinfish" gunship - d6Rd d6Rd d6Ra d6Ra d6B d6G d6W d6W

Based off of gonkius's goldfish; named after Ironhead and the chinfish.
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Postby SamSam » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:22 pm

did you wrk on Finding Nemo? that what ship reming me of.
SamSam
Talkative

Return to Intercept Orbit