Nova Hibernia Fleet

This forum is for any Intercept Orbit creations.

Nova Hibernia Fleet

Postby Arctic Banana » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:27 am

"Admiral, the enemy fleet has been sighted. Strike cruisers and heavy destroyers in staggered formation, and includes eight battleships, five carriers, three dreadnaughts, and one superdreadnaught."
"Send the Hibernians."
"Sir? They'll be outnumbered seven to one."
"Precisely. Those crazy Celts love a fair fight."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Jv-d80H1g

ImageNova Hibernia fleet

The small planet of New Albion is populated by a trio of allied colonies. While the larger colony of Nova Brettonia provides the lion's share of the world's military defenses, it also depends on Nova Hibernia and Nova Caledonia to contribute their part. While the Nova Hibernia space fleet is small in comparison to the Nova Brettonian Navy that controls the system,they're as fierce and proud as their Irish ancestors in the days of old. Their ship classes are named after Celtic heroes, and the ships themselves are named after mythical Celtic weapons.
If playing Dungeons & Dragons has taught me one thing, it's that you should probably not trust someone who introduces themselves with the phrase "GREETINGS FELLOW MORTALS IT IS I."
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Re: Nova Hibernia Fleet

Postby Arctic Banana » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:30 am

Let's start small and work our way up.

ImageImageImage
Cúchulainn-class cruiser 'Gáe Bolga'
The Gáe Bolga is the first Intercept Orbit ship I'd built. The ship is named after the Gáe Bolga cannon that it carries. Like the A-10 Thunderbolt "Warthog" and its GAU-8 Avenger gatling gun, the Cúchulainn-class started as a huge weapon and the rest of the ship was built around it. As such, she's not so much a ship as she is a massive gun with engines and a crew.
d6G (Frigate engines) d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra (Gáe Bolga cannon) d6B (Battleship-grade armor plating) d6W d6W (Ship and crew)

ImageImageImage
Scáthach-class cruiser 'Caladbolg'
Caladbolg is a smaller frigate not intended for front-line battle, but equipped with advanced long-range sensors and ECM and ECCM capabilities. She works especially well in tandem with Gáe Bolga, sharing targeting data to ensure the mighty Gáe Bolga cannon is used as effectively as possible. Caladbolg carries a pair of ship-to-ship torbedo launchers on the underside of her "wings", but ideally she'll never be in a situation that requires her to use them.
d6G (Frigate engines) d6Rd d6Rd (Ship-to-ship torpedoes) d6Y d6Y (Advanced sensor suite) d6W d6W (Ship and crew)

ImageImageImage
MacCumhaill-class Strike Cruiser ' Fragarach'
A real dogfighter of a ship, Fragarach wants to get into the enemy line and cause some damage. Shecarries weapons effective at multiple ranges but only basic armor, her crew being firm adherents to the old maxim "the best defense is a good offense". Swoop in, hit hard, only stick around long enough to confirm the kill, and move on. (Note: it's pronounced "MacCool")
d6G (Frigate engines) d6Rd d6Rd (Heavy cannons) d6Rh d6Rh (Point-defense flak cannons) d6Y (Targeting sensors) d6W d6W (Ship and crew)

ImageImageImage
Attack Frigates 'Gáe Buide' and 'Gáe Derg'
A pair of well-rounded frigates, fairly unremarkable but reliable. I have the two mounted together as a single "capital ship" due to momentary lack of bases.
Frigates: d6G (Frigate engines) d6Rd d6Rd (Ship-to-ship weapons) d6B (Armor plating) d6Y (Targeting sensors) d6W d6W (Ship and crew)
"Capital ship": d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd (Ship-to-ship weapons) d6B (Armor plating) d6Y (Targeting sensors) d6W d6W (Ships and crews)
If playing Dungeons & Dragons has taught me one thing, it's that you should probably not trust someone who introduces themselves with the phrase "GREETINGS FELLOW MORTALS IT IS I."
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Re: Nova Hibernia Fleet

Postby Arctic Banana » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:35 am

Now for the big ones.

ImageImageImage
Granuaile-class Carrier 'Moralltach'
With an upper and lower flight deck, port and starboard docking bays, a cavernous frame holding and repair bay, and anti-aircraft point-defense flak cannons, Moralltach certainly is a mobile air base worthy of her namesake. She carries two full 'Bean Sídhe' frame companies, and the facilities to house , launch, recover, and repair them. I have this image in my head of point defense being provided not only by the flak turrets, but also by frames standing out on the flight deck and flying around the ship.
The colored round tiles on the frame company's base are there so I can switch my Ace's head depending on which Ace he is each game.
d6Rh d6Rh (Anti-air flak cannons) d6Y (Control tower sensor array) d6K d6K (Upper and lower flight decks) d6W d6W (Ship and crew)

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Boudica-class Battleship 'Claíomh Solais'
A true battleship, the Claíomh Solais is a concentration of an egregious amount of firepower. Think you'll be safe moving inside of the range of the cannons? She has short-range defense guns. Coming up in that apparent blind spot below and behind? I hope you like mines. Trying to keep your distance? Claíomh Solais will come to you. Go ahead and take advantage of the fact that she's not a particularly fast ship to run away, if you're interested in dying tired.
(I admit a certain song was in my head the whole time I was building this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6LFkMniuTk )
d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd (280mm ship cannons) d6Rh d6Rh (So many point defense guns) d6B (Battleship armor) d6W d6W (Ship and crew)
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Return to Intercept Orbit