Frigates: Damselfly Corvette

This forum is for any Intercept Orbit creations.

Frigates: Damselfly Corvette

Postby Voldeblade » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:09 am

The Damselfly is an early frigate design by a fledgling frontier alliance known as the Chandaran Coalition, later authorized for export to various other factions. The chassis was initially designed as an asteroid mining ship and cargo hauler, the port and starboard turret hardpoints originally intended to be equipped with mining equipment such as anchors to latch onto asteroids, or high-powered mining drills for ore extraction. When it was rebuilt as a warship, the turrets were redesigned as two independently controlled weapon mounts, each bearing a medium Mass Driver cannon. The ship was also equipped with a heavily armored prow that still allowed decent visibility thanks to multiple strategically placed viewing slits. Overall, the Damselfly is a ship notable for its agility as well as its firepower at assault ranges. It was also the first Chandaran design to mount the then-newly developed Mass Driver cannons, which would become the standard assault-range weapon system for many of the region's later designs.

In terms of actual combat usage, the Damselfly design has proven itself well suited to high-speed assaults and flanking maneuvers, able to keep enemies in its guns' optimal range brackets with ease due to its nimble handling, while being able to take a decent amount of damage in return. Some Free Colony units have also made use of the design for infiltration and hit-and-run attacks. However, they often exchange its Mass Driver weapons for more common forms of weaponry to make repairs easier and to blend in more effectively with other designs local to their area of operation. Some cells have been known to remove one turret assembly in order to mount a cramped but functional hangar and maintenance bay for a single squadron of mobile frames. (However, the pictured design is built to the standard specifications, mounting two Mass Driver cannons as is standard in Chandaran space.)

d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B d8G
[EDIT: It turns out Movement systems aren't a thing in Intercept Orbit, so I subbed in the vent pieces on the bow as a Defensive system.]
Voldeblade
Newcomer

Re: Frigates: Damselfly Corvette

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Really nice, I used a similar core with my interceptors, might give the concept another shot!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Re: Frigates: Damselfly Corvette

Postby Voldeblade » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:12 pm

VitorFaria wrote:Really nice, I used a similar core with my interceptors, might give the concept another shot!

Awesome, I look forward to seeing it if you do! And thanks :)
Voldeblade
Newcomer

Return to Intercept Orbit