Just Some Random Ships

This forum is for any Intercept Orbit creations.

Re: Just Some Random Ships

Postby Artasid » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:42 am

VitorFaria wrote:That's a killer HVA, looks a lot like a Star Wars support vehicle!

Thank you VitorFaria, although I wasn't really going for a Star Wars vide. But now that you mention it, I can't help but agree.

This next one took me a while to get right. I wanted to get as close as I could to an actual Ijad design, and I think this works. I am happy with it.

ImageAhu's Point Frigate
Ahu's Point: d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd Dual Sting Beamers, d6Y Plasma Antenna Array, d6G Frigate Engines

I had to use some unique part connections to get the shaping right. I know I could have used a simple Clip and Bar plate, but I wanted it to feel more solid and stable. Before anyone asks, here's a partial of the interior to express my meaning
ImageAhu's Point Interior.
It is hard to see, but there are two travis bricks and they are connected by a lightsaber bar piece. Also, there is a roboclaw connected to the bar piece, and the half travis (The 1x1 brick with knobs on 2 sides) is connected to the bar part of the roboclaw. I am confident that the Lego Digital Designer will not allow me to recreate the fin connections here, so hopefully this will help for those interested in building your own. I can also do a more complete breakdown pic if requested.
Hope you enjoyed and as always, I eagerly await any and all comments you wish to share.
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:17 pm

Interesting clip tricks, Artasid!

That's a really spot on Ijad look!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby SamSam » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:26 am

I like. anyway to gt this as official build for game? it is relly good
and make hanger one to plese
SamSam
Talkative

Postby Artasid » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:54 am

Per your request SamSam, heres a carrier variant of the Ahu's Point Frigate. (Assuming that's what you meant when you said hanger. If I am wrong please correct me)

ImageAhu's Point Frigate (Carrier loadout)
Carrier Ahu's Point: d6Ra d6Ra Support Range Beam Cannon, 3Kd6 Dual Frame Catapults, d6G Frigate Engines

As for making it an official game piece, I do not have that authority, nor would I think it would be fair because I have seen countless others that should be iconic pieces for Mobile Frame Zero.
However, if someone started a compilation collection for Intercept Orbit, like how VitorFaria did one for Frames a while back, then I will definitely submit this design.

Hope you enjoyed and I am always eagerly awaiting any and all comments you wish to share.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Artasid » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:15 am

I've decided to make even more ships/vessels inspired from the old PC game FreeSpace. This time, instead of capital ships, I focused on Shivan Fighters. I can see them being used as an Anti-Frame fighting force, and I decided to make 4 aces, one for each specialty

ImageShivan Fighter Aces
ImageShivan Fighters alt angle
LEFT TO RIGHT
1 Scorpion Scout (Spot Ace)
2 Dragon Defender (Defense Ace)
3 Basilisk Fighter (Weapons Ace)
4 Manticore Interceptor (Speed Ace)

In order to stay true to the theme, I had to keep the colors to black, dark grey and trans red, which, unfortunately makes taking quality pictures of them a chore (With my current layout). To assist those who can't make them out in the pictures, I'll also include an LDD file which includes all four.

Shivan Fighters LDD

I hope you enjoyed and I always eagerly await any and all comments you wish to share.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:19 am

Don't worry about the pics, Artasid, that color scheme looks amazing!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:56 am

VitorFaria wrote:Don't worry about the pics, Artasid, that color scheme looks amazing!

Thank you VitorFaria. I just get a bit worried that the darker colors don't show up as well as they can. I struggle to get them to pop out like you can. lol

Here's the next four Fighter Aces, this time from the Vasudans (Also from game Freespace). This time I was not able to recreate their color theme as they use a dark sand grey for most of their vehicles. But I got the shaping right in my opinion

ImageVasudan Fighter Aces
LEFT TO RIGHT
1: Anubis (Spot Ace)
2: Thoth (Weapon Ace)
3: Horus (Speed Ace)
4: Osiris (Defense Ace)

These are a little better to see in detail so I am happy.
I hope you enjoyed and as always I eagerly await any and all comments you wish to share.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Aardvark17 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:55 am

I really like the idea of just having different small ships as the frame companies/aces, but I struggle with making them all look like they belong to the same faction. What you've done here is really great! Even if the color scheme may not be correct to the source material, it's consistent across all of them, and the way you've use certain shapes on all of them, like the mixel bows, really makes them look like they belong together, even though they're all different shapes. Great stuff, I'm inspired!
Aardvark17
Been Around The Block

Postby Artasid » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:45 pm

Aardvark17 wrote:I really like the idea of just having different small ships as the frame companies/aces, but I struggle with making them all look like they belong to the same faction. What you've done here is really great! Even if the color scheme may not be correct to the source material, it's consistent across all of them, and the way you've use certain shapes on all of them, like the mixel bows, really makes them look like they belong together, even though they're all different shapes. Great stuff, I'm inspired!

Thank you very much for the kind words Aardvark. Trying to keep units consistent is often a struggle, especially when trying to keep the same colors. Knowing that I have inspired someone makes me proud, and now I can't wait to see what you might come up with 8-)

Here is the third and final set of Anti-Frame Fighter Aces. Again from the game FreeSpace, but these are the Terrans, which, oddly enough, were the hardest to get right. They are not exact to the source material, but the overall feel is there in my opinion.

ImageTerran Fighter Aces
LEFT TO RIGHT
1: Medusa (Weapons Ace)
2: Valkyrie (Speed Ace)
3: Athena (Defense Ace)
4: Apollo (Spot Ace)

Hope you enjoyed and as always, I eagerly await any and all comments you may wish to share.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Artasid » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:46 pm

As the Ahu's Point Frigate was such a success in performance, the Ijad had created a slightly modified and smaller version for a more cost affective alternative, the Ahu's Star Frigate

ImageAhu's Star Frigates
LEFT: d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra Dual Support Range Stinger Lasers, d6G Frigate Engines
RIGHT: d6Y d6Y Dual Radar Scanners, d6G Frigate Engines

Though slightly smaller and underpowered than their predecessors, the Ahu's Star does show some potential. It uses similar building techniques used in the Ahu's Point, which means they can be reproduced in shipyards that have already constructed Ahu's Point Frigates, which in turn also means faster productions. We can expect to see an increase of encounters with these vessels.

I hope you enjoyed and as always, I am eagerly awaiting any and all comments you may wish to share.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:06 pm

Having those angular bare anti-stud facing plates makes it look less Ijad, maybe more free colonies like?
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:34 am

Just for the heck of it, I made one more Anti-Frame Fighter Ace from the FreeSpace games. This one is the Hercules, one of the more iconic fighters from the series.

ImageHerc Anti-Frame Fighter Ace

This next ship is just some random Free Colonist Capitol Carrier I came up with. Nothing really special about it other than a bit of a Star Wars flare to the design

ImageRandom Capitol Carrier
Carrier: d6Rh d6Rh Point Defensive Flak Tube, 3kD6 Dual Frame Catapults, d6Y Antenna

I hope you enjoyed and as always, I eagerly await any and all comments you wish to share.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:22 pm

Loving the way you angle the Herc thrusters, it could be a good base for a frigate as well!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:08 am

The Deimos Class Corvette has shown incredible success in it's roles as an armed transport and defensive point for the fleets that deploy it. The engineers who designed the Deimos have been tasked to construct a smaller twin for the Capitol Ship, but allow it to be customized to fill in for various roles. The result was the Frigate Class Phobos:
ImageDeimos and Phobos
Deimos: d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh Multiple Point Defense Turrets, d6B d6B Multi-Layered Hardened Armor Plates
Phobos: d6Rh d6Rh Point Defense Turrets, d6B d6B Multi-Layered Hardened Armor Plates, d6G Frigate Engines

Vertually identical to the Deimos on a smaller scale, this Frigate does have a slight advantage over its twin brother, the smaller size allows it to be slightly more manuverible, plus, as promised, the engineers have allowed for customized hardpoints to allow for easier system changes:
ImagePhobos alt Loadout
Phobos Alt: d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd Dual Assualt Range Torpedo Tubes, d6B Multi-Layered Armor, d6G Frigate Engines.

The designers had asked if the Deimos should also incorporate the customized hardpoints, but instead they received the reply: "The Deimos is excellent the way it is. Why the bloody hell would we want to risk changing it?"

Hope you enjoyed and as always, I eagerly await any and all comments you wish to share.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby SamSam » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:24 pm

Why 2 greens? look much beter in gray
SamSam
Talkative

Postby Artasid » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:50 pm

SamSam wrote:Why 2 greens? look much beter in gray

The reason it's in two shades of green is due to lack of enough of the same color parts. I originally wanted it to be sand green, but when I noticed I did not have the right parts in the same color, I split the difference to try and keep it semi color coherent.
As for a grey one, I'm actually in the process of making more Phobos so there may be a grey one appearing in the near future lol
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:14 pm

Deliciously chunky, Artasid!

An additional gun on the underside, on that "chin", might look interesting!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:15 am

Artasid wrote:...I'm actually in the process of making more Phobos so there may be a grey one appearing in the near future lol

VitorFaria wrote:...An additional gun on the underside, on that "chin", might look interesting!

As promised, here are 3 new Phobos Class Frigates, some with weapons on the 'chin' as suggested by VitorFaria. I am still experimenting with the look but I think I came across a decent balance. I did not have enough to make them all the same color so I hope you don't mind the differences.

Image3 More Phobos
LEFT TO RIGHT
GREY: d6Rh d6Rh Point Defense Turret, d6Ra d6Ra Support Beam Cannon, d6Y Sonar Dish, d6G Frigate Engines
YELLOW: d6Ra d6Ra Support Beam Cannon, d6Y d6Y Dual Sonar Dishs, d6G Frigate Engines
BLUE: d6Rh d6Rh Point Defense Turret, d6B Hardened Armor Plate, 1Kd6 Frame Catapult (with Spot Ace Frame Company) d6G Frigate Engines

If you look closely, you'll notice I used both round and square trans red plates for the weapons. I did this to show the difference between d6Rh d6Rh and d6Ra d6Ra systems, which was partially inspired by a comment I made to MantisKings Mathematical Golems picture on Flikr (Link Here)

Hope you enjoyed and as always I eagerly await any and all comments you wish to share.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:31 pm

Really nice, Artasid!

I'm happy you incorporated the chin gun idea so readily, it works very well indeed!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:40 am

Here is one more Phobos. With the chin gun idea by VitorFaria, I eventually thought "What if they were like the Covenant's Capitol Ships (From Halo) and had a Ventral Cleansing Beam to 'Glass' the surface of the planet they were attacking?" And I tried to give the idea a visual aide

ImagePhobos LandEnder
LandEnder: d6Ra d6Ra Land-Carver Beam, d6B d6B Multi-Layered Hardened Armor, d6G Frigate Engines

Its safe to say that I have a fondness for the Phobos design, and for anyone willing to make their own, here is an LDD file:
Phobos LDD

Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Intercept Orbit