Just Some Random Ships

This forum is for any Intercept Orbit creations.

Re: Just Some Random Ships

Postby Arctic Banana » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:03 am

Artasid wrote:(On a similar note, this is partly why in space no one can hear you scream! lol. Don't remember where I heard that from.)

It was the tag line of the trailer for the movie "Alien".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjLamj-b0I8
If playing Dungeons & Dragons has taught me one thing, it's that you should probably not trust someone who introduces themselves with the phrase "GREETINGS FELLOW MORTALS IT IS I."
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Postby Artasid » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:27 am

Arctic Banana wrote:It was the tag line of the trailer for the movie "Alien".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjLamj-b0I8

Ah-Ha, I remember now. Thank you! God I must be getting old, its been so long since I first saw that movie...
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Luke_BMM » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:14 am

Completely un-aerodynamic ships made exclusively for space are not only viable but often super cool to boot.

Artasid wrote:Well, space itself has no atmosphere and no gravity (save for black holes and whatnot), so making a vehicle, station, or any kind of object meant to be solely in space does NOT need to be aerodynamically designed. On a scientifically logical level, only vessels meant to cross between space and atmospheres need to be streamlined and aerodynamic to help land safely in gravity rich environments. In space, there is no drag or wind resistance.

You're pretty much right about aerodynamics, but the gravity bit is not quite as accurate. There's always gravity and what we think of as space is as much a question of "how fast are you moving" as it is "how far away are you." The measurable part is a question of how fast you're moving around the nearest massive object(s).

The Hydromancer wrote:Great shaping, I feel like a shaped look for stations is uncommon. Kinda makes me want to try a square chain design, as terribly impractical as that would be.

Case in point, there is NOTHING wrong with a square chain design for space only vessels, stations, craft ect.

In general, a round thing will be stronger than a square thing. Circles and spheres maximize the volume contained while minimizing the surface area. That's why tanks made to hold liquid or gas - especially under particularly high or low pressure - are generally spherical or cylindrical. That doesn't make the square station wrong, by any stretch, but it is why our rockets are cylinders instead of being rectangular.
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Postby SamSam » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:21 am

I has question. I cant tell how you get grey travis connteced to black ones in center. travis parts have nubs on all but one side right? Howd you get them connected?
SamSam
Been Around The Block

Postby Blorf » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:05 pm

Luke_BMM wrote:In general, a round thing will be stronger than a square thing. Circles and spheres maximize the volume contained while minimizing the surface area. That's why tanks made to hold liquid or gas - especially under particularly high or low pressure - are generally spherical or cylindrical. That doesn't make the square station wrong, by any stretch, but it is why our rockets are cylinders instead of being rectangular.

On the other hand, right-angled things pack together more easily. Where multiple solid things are concerned, it's often a better use of the space to shape them that way. This informs the design of object packages, freight carriers, cargo containers, and many buildings.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:08 pm

Gotta love how we got a legit Science Fiction conversation out of those! :D
VitorFaria (she/her)
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:41 am

Luke_BMM wrote:Completely un-aerodynamic ships made exclusively for space are not only viable but often super cool to boot.

Artasid wrote:Well, space itself has no atmosphere and no gravity (save for black holes and whatnot), so making a vehicle, station, or any kind of object meant to be solely in space does NOT need to be aerodynamically designed. On a scientifically logical level, only vessels meant to cross between space and atmospheres need to be streamlined and aerodynamic to help land safely in gravity rich environments. In space, there is no drag or wind resistance.

You're pretty much right about aerodynamics, but the gravity bit is not quite as accurate. There's always gravity and what we think of as space is as much a question of "how fast are you moving" as it is "how far away are you." The measurable part is a question of how fast you're moving around the nearest massive object(s).

The Hydromancer wrote:Great shaping, I feel like a shaped look for stations is uncommon. Kinda makes me want to try a square chain design, as terribly impractical as that would be.

Case in point, there is NOTHING wrong with a square chain design for space only vessels, stations, craft ect.

In general, a round thing will be stronger than a square thing. Circles and spheres maximize the volume contained while minimizing the surface area. That's why tanks made to hold liquid or gas - especially under particularly high or low pressure - are generally spherical or cylindrical. That doesn't make the square station wrong, by any stretch, but it is why our rockets are cylinders instead of being rectangular.

Blorf wrote:
Luke_BMM wrote:In general, a round thing will be stronger than a square thing. Circles and spheres maximize the volume contained while minimizing the surface area. That's why tanks made to hold liquid or gas - especially under particularly high or low pressure - are generally spherical or cylindrical. That doesn't make the square station wrong, by any stretch, but it is why our rockets are cylinders instead of being rectangular.

On the other hand, right-angled things pack together more easily. Where multiple solid things are concerned, it's often a better use of the space to shape them that way. This informs the design of object packages, freight carriers, cargo containers, and many buildings.

Ok ok, I admit that Astronomy was not my major or minor in collage, so my facts are not 100%
(But I'll still challenge anyone who says Pluto is not a planet dammit! :lol: )
But in all honesty, I would love to see this conversation continue on, just as VitorFaria stated.

SamSam wrote:I has question. I cant tell how you get grey travis connteced to black ones in center. travis parts have nubs on all but one side right? Howd you get them connected?

The grey 'rings' of Travis' have their interior studs resting between the studs of 2 of the black ones in the center. This causes a snug fit and though it is not solid, it still holds well when handled.

ImageTravis Station partial Breakdown
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Artasid » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:32 pm

Nothing special about these, except they use rather easy to find parts to build, plus customizing the loudout is easy

ImageGalactic Tern
RED (Left) d6B d6B Multi Layered Armor Plates, d6Y Scanner, d6G Frigate Engines
BROWN (Right) d6Ra d6Ra Support Torpedoes, d6Rd d6Rd Assault Turret, d6Y Comms Antenna, d6G Frigate Engines

I hope you enjoy and as always I eagerly await any and all comments you wish to share.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby SamSam » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:13 pm

you forgot instrux pleaze? I cant tell but why dose brown one look like its about ot fall off is base?
SamSam
Been Around The Block

Postby Artasid » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:13 pm

SamSam wrote:you forgot instrux pleaze? I cant tell but why dose brown one look like its about ot fall off is base?

Here's an LDD file for you

Galactic Tern LDD

As for the brown one falling off it's base: It's not. I placed both ships on a jointed stand so that I could give them some banking/tilting features. It's just a robo claw and bar clip on a lightsaber stick piece. I've replicated it in the LDD so you can have a better understanding what I mean.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Artasid » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:36 pm

When Terran Expeditionary Marines (TEMs) need to stop before or after combat missions, most seek the refreshing comfort facilities of 'The Den'

Image'The Den' Outpost Station

This outpost serves as a rest stop for battle weary TEMs, or as a refuel/resupply station for TEMs preparing for their upcoming conflicts. The station itself has 3 large docking platforms for various vessels plus a smaller transport alcove. Its lower sections house the power reactor which provides energy throughout the whole station and even has emergency solar collection panels in case of catastrophic reactor failure, though such an occurrence has yet to happen.
Due to it's comfort and ease of maintenance, 'The Den' has also served as political asylums, trade centers and medical facilities, making it one of the most versatile, and well sought place of refuge.

I hope you enjoyed and as always, I eagerly await any and all comments you wish to share.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Artasid » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:54 am

The Den Outpost Station may serve as the Solar Unions station of choice in their territories, but the Free Colonists prefer a smaller, and cheaper station of their own for rest and recreation, nicknamed: the Igloo

ImageIgloo Station

Though not as advanced as The Den, the Igloo provides what is needed for Free Colonists settlers. It runs on bare minimum resources, so as not to squander what it has, and any extras are donated to Colonist cells in dire need of the support. This station is easily maintained, but those who fancy a more luxurious lifestyle may find this station lacking in their desires. The central dome is the communion center of the station while the three outlaying 'pods' serve as either supply warehouses, living and recreation quarters or as secondary command centers for Free Colonists cells in operation. Due to their cheap construction, and whatever materials are available, some Igloos run on fusion reactors while others must rely on solar collection panels. There is even a rumor of one that somehow operates using a form of combustion engine, though no one is certain how accurate these claims are.

I hope you enjoyed and as always, I eagerly await any and all comments you wish to share.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby SamSam » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:59 pm

I have question. I know space sttations are hvas, but can theys be armed and used as ships to? a small station like igloo as frigate and biger one like the den as capitol ship? I think that be intreseting
SamSam
Been Around The Block

Postby The Hydromancer » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:01 pm

Your stations are great, really inspiring. Keep up the good work!
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
Wears down the cliff tops, the mountains.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_hydromancer/
Master Chubdam Database
Master Solar Union/Federation Fleet Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Blorf » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:29 pm

SamSam wrote:I have question. I know space sttations are hvas, but can theys be armed and used as ships to? a small station like igloo as frigate and biger one like the den as capitol ship? I think that be intreseting

Use whatever makes you happy!
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:57 pm

SamSam wrote:I have question. I know space sttations are hvas, but can theys be armed and used as ships to? a small station like igloo as frigate and biger one like the den as capitol ship? I think that be intreseting

Not a bad idea. I may have to try something like that in the near future.

The Ijad have their own station, which they call the Dwelling, and it is very alien to human eyes. The station is meant to mimic some aquatic creature the Ijad have encountered, but all other information regarding this creature is currently unknown.

ImageDwelling Station

Though it hasn't been confirmed or observed, it is believed that sections of the stations upper 'shell' act as retractable arms, fitted with various tools to repair, rearm, refuel and resupply docked space vessels. If this proves to be true than it is safe to assume that the station is based off some invertebrate creature like a jellyfish or squid. Scouting reports indicate that such stations are run by a single Ijad family clan, and they keep communications open with other family clans to promote their family group mentality.

Artasid
Old Guard

Previous

Return to Intercept Orbit