The Northern Gildenpool Royal Fleet

This forum is for any Intercept Orbit creations.

The Northern Gildenpool Royal Fleet

Postby Valtarshol » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:16 pm

(This is a continuation from here.

The North Gildenpool Royal Guard, while an effective fighting force, is hardly capable of the range or threat needed for full scale invasions. To this end, the Royal Fleet pilots a fleet of massive airships, transporting Guard equipment and vehicles and equipped with some truly terrifying weaponry.

The more common vessels, most often used for relatively low risk battles, scouting purposes, or to screen more expensive ships, are the Daring Class Airships. The Daring comes in the standard Captain and Admiral classes, with the Admiral being larger and better equipped than the more mobile Captain.
ImageDaring Captain Class Airship by Valtarshol Ceirn, on Flickr
ImageDaring Admiral Class Airships by Valtarshol Ceirn, on Flickr

Rarer, but more intimidating, are the Inspiring Class Captains and Admirals. Better armored and more heavily built, Inspiring Class airships can take as much of a beating as they can give; it isn't unheard of for ram-equipped Inspiring airships to cleave enemy ships and emerge nearly unscathed. The downside is, of course, the cost, and despite being more effective and better defended than the Daring class, they remain a scarce player in North Gildenpool's airship clashes.
ImageInspiring Captain Class Airships by Valtarshol Ceirn, on Flickr
ImageInspiring Admiral Class Airship by Valtarshol Ceirn, on Flickr

Of course, these are hardly the only North Gildenpool airships, not even the only military oriented ones. Luxury passenger ships, often transporting the royal family or highly important military officials are a common sight in the North Gildenpool airspace, as are the larger, less agile cargo barges that transport materials, food, and equipment between the various islands under the country's control. Royal Fleet detachments are often accompanied by the standard fleet refueling ship, which despite being based on the light and agile Daring Captain class frame, are weighed down by their massive fuel tanks; even the amount of spare hydrogen stored on the ship can barely keep the ships aloft.
ImageLuxury Passenger Airship, Military Refueling Airship, and Cago Transit Barge by Valtarshol Ceirn, on Flickr
Valtarshol
Been Around The Block

Re: The Northern Gildenpool Royal Fleet

Postby Blorf » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:18 pm

These are all really nice. Great work.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby sweetcraspy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:40 am

Fantastic work I love the grossly oversized guns. They feel like a zoomed in detail that gives context to the larger scale model. They let the great busyness of the gas bags and deck hardware exist without overshadowing a tinier set of cannons. I also love the hot air balloon on some of the bases.
sweetcraspy
Newcomer

Postby Valtarshol » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:29 am

Blorf wrote:These are all really nice. Great work.

Thanks again! :D

sweetcraspy wrote:Fantastic work I love the grossly oversized guns. They feel like a zoomed in detail that gives context to the larger scale model. They let the great busyness of the gas bags and deck hardware exist without overshadowing a tinier set of cannons. I also love the hot air balloon on some of the bases.

Thank you! I definitely tried to make all the guns both on these and the Rapid Attack scale "frames" larger and more obvious to help offset the busy look of the builds themselves, glad to know it paid off! The balloons were honestly a last minute addition, most of the other little things on the bases were hard to fit on the frigate and HVA bases so I put some balloons there to break it up a bit.
Valtarshol
Been Around The Block

Return to Intercept Orbit