Coriolis-Class Command Ship "Light of Sol"

This forum is for any Intercept Orbit creations.

Coriolis-Class Command Ship "Light of Sol"

Postby eggplantman » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:59 am

So I've finally gotten around to building my first IO ship, the Light of Sol. At nearly 15 studs long, it's definitely a capital ship, and intended to be the flagship of an eventual fleet.

ImageCoriolis-Class Command Ship "Light of Sol" by Eggplant Man, on Flickr

Loosely inspired by Starcraft Battlecruisers, the Coriolis-class is designed with both form and function in mind -- aesthetically pleasing yet still fairly imposing to those that might come face to face with it.

I imagine the Sol as a command and control ship, staying mostly on the back line, directing the rest of the fleet in battle. Operationally, it is not unlike the big Mon Calamari cruisers from Star Wars -- not heavily armed or studded with laser turrets like some ships in its class, but still vital to the function of the fleet as a whole. While it is capable of engaging other ships at assault-range, the Sol must rely on the smaller ships and mobile frame squads in its fleet for close-in defense.

Light of Sol d6W d6W
Heavy Laser Cannons d6Rd d6Rd
Main and Forward Bridges d6Y d6Y
Dual Shield Generators d6B

Of course, while this set up is designed to fit the ship's role as stated above, the physical build allows for flexibility.

For example:

Light of Sol (Assault) d6W d6W
Heavy Laser Cannons d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd
Main Bridge d6Y
Dual Shield Generators d6B

or

Light of Sol (Vanguard) d6W d6W
Heavy Laser Cannons d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd
Dual Shield Generators d6B d6B
eggplantman
Chatty

Re: Coriolis-Class Command Ship "Light of Sol"

Postby VitorFaria » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:01 am

Neat use of all those slopes, and those are some killer engines!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Aardvark17 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:56 am

DAMN.
I looked at this and was amazed. This ship looks so cool and very unique. I'm not quite sure how you spaced out those arches, but it really adds to the uniqueness, as that sort of ribbing is different from regular LEGO techniques. Well done! Also, the colors and the shape look great. I love the shaping you've been able to do. Great job! For a first IO ship this one looks like it was built by a master of IO ships :D
Sponsored by The Bike CompanyTM and Big Ol' Bikes, Inc.TM
Aardvark17
Talkative

Postby eggplantman » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:22 pm

VitorFaria wrote:Neat use of all those slopes, and those are some killer engines!

Aardvark17 wrote:I love the shaping you've been able to do. Great job! For a first IO ship this one looks like it was built by a master of IO ships :D

Thank you so much!

Aardvark17 wrote:I'm not quite sure how you spaced out those arches, but it really adds to the uniqueness, as that sort of ribbing is different from regular LEGO techniques.

Ha, that's actually pretty simple. The central shaft is just a stack of 1x2 Travis bricks. The ones with two studs on the longer sides. Glad you like it though! I agree, it gives it a bit of a unique personality.
eggplantman
Chatty

Postby Jagarmot » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:27 pm

Impressive !
Jagarmot
Talkative

Postby ohako » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:36 pm

I like the blank heads on the sides, that's classy. 2 questions

a) What's that dark bley 'rear nose cone' thing that's holding your trans blue boat stud?
b) The 'dramatic angle' looks pretty boss (and it helps constrain the overall length a little). How did you get it to do that?
ohako
Newcomer

Postby eggplantman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:53 am

ohako wrote:I like the blank heads on the sides, that's classy.

Jagarmot wrote:Impressive !

Thanks! If I'm being honest, they're not actually blank. They're the eyeball heads, turned inward. But you can't see the pupil/iris/whatever, so they may as well be, I suppose.

ohako wrote:What's that dark bley 'rear nose cone' thing that's holding your trans blue boat stud?

That'd be this. There's actually a trans blue cone inserted into it, which is what the boat stud actually connects to.

ohako wrote:The 'dramatic angle' looks pretty boss (and it helps constrain the overall length a little). How did you get it to do that?

Ball joints are fun. This side view from my Flickr should clear it up:

eggplantman
Chatty

Postby Aardvark17 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:31 pm

Ball joints! Of COURSE! *facepalms
That's actually a very novel use of ball joints though. It looks quite stable and makes posing so much easier I bet!
And it's hidden away and everything...
Now I want to build IO ships for the sole purpose of using ball jointed stands. :?
Nice job!
Sponsored by The Bike CompanyTM and Big Ol' Bikes, Inc.TM
Aardvark17
Talkative

Return to Intercept Orbit