some by-the-book TAs and some semi-original HVAs

This forum is for any Intercept Orbit creations.

some by-the-book TAs and some semi-original HVAs

Postby ohako » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:15 am

Hi there. For the past 10 months or so I've had a hobby of veeerry slooowly building two Intercept Orbit fleets, and I guess since they're all built and ready to go I should show them off here. A while ago I gave all my LEGO to my son, so I've been ordering pieces off of BL for a while and getting them delivered to my office. Please let me know what you think, and I'm always open to suggestions. I'll throw in some fluff and some build notes as well. Without further ado, in a rough build order...

Round Empire Fleet
You know who these guys are, they're mysterious, maybe they're glowing energy beings running around in exo-suits, whatever. Vorlons, Protoss, those alien girls with the cabbits and wooden Zen spaceships from Tenchi Muyo, those blue-skinned rockers from that Daft Punk video, whoever. Generally their technology is very advanced, and their political structures are crappy monarchies.

Round Aushad d6Ra d6Rh d6B d6W
Notes: I really liked the Aushad and the Ojebed designs from the book. At first, I thought that the color choices (black, white, light gray, dark gray) were supposed to be actually findable on Bricklink. And then I ran into this guy, 30035 Space Scanner Tool, and I discovered that the part didn't exist in dark gray or dark bley. I was actually kind of stumped, but then I saw that it came in good old space-y blue. So. All my Round ships keep the white primary color, use blue as a secondary color instead of dark bley, and keep little scraps of light bley around. And since rules these still don't work 100%, the Aushad's primary drive cones are white instead of blue, etc.

Round Ojebed d8Rh d6Y
Notes: I really like the Ojebed design as an example of a 'non-humanoid' or 'non-boat/plane' spaceship. And yeah, that might be the hand off a Batman minifig. I bet he had a really bad day.

Round Zealous d6Rd d6Rh d6Y d6W
Fluff: The empire is ancient and its ways are mysterious. Often encounters with the Round end in violence, rarely in diplomacy, and even rarer in outright piracy. This Zealous has had its life support systems heavily altered for a regional Round client species that did not have advanced-enough technology to field a ship of their own.
Notes: Also, because I ended hosting all these ships on my desk at work, I wanted to have 5 TAs a side without repeating myself.

Round Frame Company
Notes: While I do love me some mecha suits, I figured that one of my fleets should use fighter jet-like drone craft. And since I really do love the design of the Ojebed, I decided to try and make Ojebeds as teensy as possible. Also, the reason I'm calling my fleets Round and Square is based on the brick shape of their mobile frames.

Round Frame Company w/Ace
Notes: I liked the white and blue color scheme so much that I didn't really want to color my aces too differently. The slightly bigger but still tiny Ojebed fighter is currently acting as a red ace, for a yin-yang feel to the fleet.

Crystal Tugboat
Fluff: Sure, the inscrutable hi-tech aliens can make energy from nothing and have a secret religion, but they still need to haul raw materials across the vastness of space. For some reason, however, it always seems to be crystals of some kind. What, are they going to crush them into powder and light the powder on fire (a la coal)? Nobody knows...
Notes: I guess this is my first MOC as a grown-up? The front half is stolen from the Ojebed, naturally.

Space Princess Star Garden v2
Fluff: Of course there need to be flying pleasure gardens, filled with a princess or two, fountains, statues, a grand walkway under an impractical domed canopy, etc. Certainly if this vessel were captured by lowly humans, then important Questions would be Raised.
Notes:
  • This is the back half of an Ojebed (I know, again) flipped sideways and with one of these canopies draped on the front.
  • Yes, I know, there's like a half plate gap between the bottom of the windscreen and the top of the 'gondola'. Suggestions would be appreciated.
  • I'm looking forward to the day when this corner piece gets rendered in any shade of gold
  • I was pleased with the amount of detail I could jam under the canopy. It's supposed to be a reflecting pool/blue fire pit, some fountains, some obelisks, and a giant-scale throne.
  • I don't have a picture of it, but I could also stick on a skeleton minifig head and some small white horns and make it look like a giant skeletal torso is hurtling through the dread expanse of infinity.
  • The white plant matter? Thanks, Frozen!
  • Lastly, you want to see version 1? Here. I like it, but I decided it was a little too purple, so I went back to a white and blue color scheme.

Interstellar Dinosaur
Fluff: Migrating endlessly across a fifth of the galactic disc, frequent visits in antiquity by interstellar dinosaurs to a small, cold world inspired its inhabitants to look to the stars. The Round Empire does not consider itself indebted very often, but to these majestic animals they owe much. To the Square Federation, the strategic importance of these creatures can be summed up in one word: bacon.
Notes: I was inspired to make this from the 'oceanic' level of the original StarFox, Sector Y, that and Atavism's work making other cool space critters (that catfish!) My only regret is that I can't think of a good way to give it a fuzzy mane of some kind, something maybe using glittery trans blue flame/wave pieces. Oh, and the only reason the rear wedge plate is dark blue is because the regular blue version (the last blue one was made a while ago) is missing the ability to attach something with one stud. I need to get around to submitting one of those official BrickLink update requests.

Square Federation Fleet
These folks should also be pretty familiar. A bit like Trek, but a little darker perhaps. You know, square jaws and square guns, that sort of thing.

Square Palau d6Rh d6Y d6W d6W
Notes: A couple of things here
  • Since the Round ships' sort of 'feature color' was blue, I wanted the counterpoint fleet to feature red. However, plain old red was very bright, kind of a McDonald's color almost. So, for the Square fleet, pretty much all of the solid areas using white were changed out for dark red.
  • It turns out that Part 4855, 4x4 Inverted Triple Wedge is a lot rarer in light bley than in light gray. It looks like that piece in that color was only ever used for some promotional airplane models. This gave me the idea that all the Square ships' light bley parts should be light gray. It's worked out for the most part. Even though that color is discontinued, most of what I needed could be got very reasonably.

Square Samar d8Rd d6B
Notes: One of the wrinkles about using the dark red color scheme is that there's no dark red boat stud. I was sorely tempted to use this proton pack part, but it turned out the primary color on that one is black, not dark bley. In the end I went with the square tile because it was square.

Square Liberator d6Rd d6Rh d6Y
Fluff: Owing to an acute shortage of war material, a civilian vessel (or 'can boat') was dragooned into Square Fleet. The override interlocks were taken off the impulse engine, a hacked communications array was installed, and the hold was filled with missiles. May God have mercy on their souls.
Notes: You'll notice a number of part and color substitutions on the Liberator, the most out of any of the ships I made. You'll see why in a minute. I was confused as to why this bracket hasn't been made in dark bley yet.

Square Frame Company
Notes: I didn't like the book's take on a simple frame company. I thought I could do a little better. These little fellas are only 4 parts each, same as the Round frame units.

Square Frame Company w/Ace
Notes: This is the book's standard ace frame, although I felt like a doof when I initially missed the 1x1 rounds on the hips. It's modelling as the blue ace, to give the whole scenario a bit of yin-yang.

Cargo Ship
Fluff: This cargo ship is carrying critical supplies to WhereverTheHeck 4. I just thought you should know that.
Notes: Say you want to make a set of ships color-keyed off of Star Trek uniform colors. Aside from plain yellow, LEGO has some serious color-holes around different yellows and greens. I think I would have loved to plate this in olive green, but I guess LEGO restricts that color to just crocodile people minifigs. Oh, and the command module in the middle is actually a crane (never mind that the extra cargo pods have holes in the bottom...) Here's a picture of that.
Hold on tight!

Science Vessel
Fluff: Who's on board this ship? Scientists? Diplomats? Some sort of frankensteiny 'diplotists'? Whoever they are, the Square Federation hasn't seen fit to put them in a ship with actual guns on it, so...they can't be that important, right?
Notes:
  • I had a hard time thinking of what else even goes on a 'science ship' other than a big telescope. Then I thought of those habitat/ecology pods from Silent Running.
  • Cargo ship Science vessel :snerk:
  • I'm actually glad that there's no 1x3 tile in pearl gold. The 1x4 tiles on this ship are actually structural because of the command module I stuck in the nose. Liberators sure are neat.

What the??
Fluff:
  • Square Federation tactical assessment: While the self-styled 'Doctor' is not normally counted as an ally of the Square Federation, strategic command believes that letting him fall into the hands of the Round represents an untenable 'doctor gap' in the region.
  • Round Empire tactical assessment: Doctor who?
Notes: Can I admit that I'm not very good at designing ships myself?

Epilogue
Okay, that's pretty much it. If you've gotten this far, hats off to you. Now I just have to go find a game somewhere!
ohako
Newcomer

Re: some by-the-book TAs and some semi-original HVAs

Postby CmdrRook » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:57 am

I definitely got a chuckle from the Jurai Empire, Galaxy Police, Space Pirates reference. What a handsome collection of canon ships! I especially enjoyed the micro frames, that's a solid design you have there.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:09 am

I see I'm not the only crazy guy to ever actually build a Palau. :D

I love your custom liberators, the use of those cargo boxes is great!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Luke_BMM » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:45 am

There's a lot to like here - most notably the color blocking throughout - but the Crystal Tug is my favorite.
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Postby ohako » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:47 am

VitorFaria wrote:I see I'm not the only crazy guy to ever actually build a Palau. :D

So, here's a question: there's a section on the Palau where the engines are attached to the main hull by a pair of 1x2 plates. On your Palau did you change that connection or add more than 2 1x2s?
ohako
Newcomer

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:59 am

ohako wrote:
VitorFaria wrote:I see I'm not the only crazy guy to ever actually build a Palau. :D

So, here's a question: there's a section on the Palau where the engines are attached to the main hull by a pair of 1x2 plates. On your Palau did you change that connection or add more than 2 1x2s?

I frankly don't remember.

I recall noticing that the connection as suggested by the book was somewhat weak, but I'm not sure if I did anything different.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Return to Intercept Orbit