PAX East 2016 Fleet

This forum is for any Intercept Orbit creations.

PAX East 2016 Fleet

Postby CmdrRook » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:25 pm

This is a living thread of the builds I'll be bringing along to help demo IO in Boston. I'm supplementing an existing partial fleet, so it's likely you won't see a full nine ships + companies here. Special thanks to DarkSyntax' microframes thread for helping me out of a rut for Aces and Companies, and special thanks to everyone for the plethora of inspirational techniques and profiles I've borrowed to put my thoughts into brick form.

Build 01: "Viscount" Command and Control Frigate
( d6W d6W d6G ) d6Rh d6Rh d6Y d6Y
Originally a deep space science vessel, the Viscount saw military refits to protect New Anchorage R&D assets from privateer aggression, notably from FC Frame companies that utilized the debris fields it was primarily commissioned to probe and map as ambush points.

Maneuvering the light chassis is accomplished with a pair of VT Coatl Engine Clusters, a miniaturized variant of their Thunderbird line that propel much larger ships at comparable speed. A massive suit of passive and active sensors occupies a dedicated pod amid-ship, starboard side, and a powerful BanXing K-Link Hypercomms dish is affixed opposite it. Normally this would allow the ship to collect and relay extensive astronomical data in real-time to data-banks far and wide, but now -in what some would consider a travesty of it's neutral scientific charter- it simply provides battlefield awareness to Solar Naval fleets in the area. Independently tracking and firing Rickers Defensive Arrays crown the main bulk of the ship, warding off would-be highjackers and light craft with ill intent.

Image Eat my dust!
Captain Mudiwa Jonnes doesn't mind her current posting, and the thought that it would irk her colleagues was just one of the reasons she elected to retain her command when reassignment was offered. She was on the bleeding edge of explored space, and didn't want to go back. Their work was too important to let a few disgruntled miners derail them...

This ship has already undergone one major tranformation from main-line combat ship to support craft, a paint-swap, and may eventually be cannibalized entirely for an SU Carrier, depending on whether or not one already exists for the fleet it'll be joining. Pretty proud with the "end result" though.

Aces and Frames:
Yellow Ace Conscript/Commisar and Red Ace Hi-Leg;

Blue Ace Scrambler/Suzerain and Green Ace Chub/Osprey;

These designs all borrowed heavily and were adapted from Dark Syntax' companies and aces concepts.

A company of dispersed systems "Trundlettes," which were originally intended for RA but perfect for this application;
These stack up really cutely, but are just about the only thing I can manage on the scale of non-ace frame companies for the time being.

Questions, Comments, and Criticism are welcome, as always. Please look forward to seeing more builds in this thread as April 22nd draws near!
CmdrRook
Been Around The Block

Re: PAX East 2016 Fleet

Postby Mantisking » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:12 am

Everything looks good. I hope I get to see them in person at PAX East.
The Cause for Katy -- A Bone Marrow Donor drive for Katy Flagg.

The Mobile Frame Garage -- A MFZ blog.
My Johari Window : My Nohari Window
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby darksyntax » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:22 am

Nice looking ship; fits very well with Soren's designs. I like your Scrambler legs; I have to imagine those claws are more common that the core bit I used. That blue system on your Scrambler looks better than mine; mine looks too much like a spot system.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby CmdrRook » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:03 pm

Mantisking wrote:Everything looks good. I hope I get to see them in person at PAX East.

Thanks, man. I hope you can join us, as well.

darksyntax wrote:Nice looking ship; fits very well with Soren's designs. I like your Scrambler legs; I have to imagine those claws are more common that the core bit I used. That blue system on your Scrambler looks better than mine; mine looks too much like a spot system.

It does resemble a miniaturized Mekong, I suppose, and the scrambler legs (mismatched as they are) were a necessity. The robot arms definitely give it a solid scrambler profile, but that hub piece does not exist within my collection, so travis arrives to salvage the design. I half-considered building a knot of claw bars and building the arms out from there, but this is less messy. Thanks for the feed-back.
CmdrRook
Been Around The Block

Postby CmdrRook » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:25 am

I apologize if these pictures are noticeably lower-quality. My digital camera is AWOL so I had to use a mobile device to capture these two builds. Without further ado (and currently sans fluff as I'm pressed for time):

Free Colonies Assault Frigate "High Hand"

Differing from the Viscount, this design was drawn heavily from the schematics in the book, rounded off and modified as needed.

Ijad Carrier "Eye of the Storm"

The fins can (and probably will) be folded down to cradle the engine for a more stream-lined look, and also hide the ugly, raw connection I used to attach them to the main fuselage.

These, plus the micro-frames and Aces should make for a well-rounded and interesting demo fleet. Look for us on the TableTop floor!
CmdrRook
Been Around The Block

Postby Jagarmot » Mon May 02, 2016 2:48 pm

The "Eye of the storm" looks outworldish, quite fitting for an Ijad ship :-)
I have yet to read the rules...

Orange and black/dark grey work very hard. Let's face it : the recolour of the X-Wing was awesome :-)
Jagarmot
Talkative

Postby CmdrRook » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:06 pm

Apologies for the delays, but it's high time I uploaded some photographs I was able to grab of the completed fleets used in the official demos of Intercept Orbit at PAX East 2016!

Major thanks to Mantis King for supplying the bulk of the ships! You'll notice that the loyalties of the Liberator and the Viscount swapped. This was initially due to redundancy of ship load-outs in their original fleets, something I hadn't been anticipating, but I think they look more at home with their new allegiances anyway.

The Solar Union fleet:

The Free Colonies fleet:

Ijad fleet:
The white did not photograph well, I may have jostled my settings off of auto for this set, unfortunately.

And an absolutely massive group shot that has defied all attempts to resize it without horribly artifacing and blurring.
CmdrRook
Been Around The Block

Return to Intercept Orbit