New WIP fleet - now with photos

This forum is for any Intercept Orbit creations.

New WIP fleet - now with photos

Postby Luke_BMM » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:03 pm

Not quite done yet, but I've redone my first fleet, which was originally designed mostly to use the ridiculous amount of 2x6 half slopes I bought when I first started and assumed they'd make great feet for frames. I'm liking the new version, however, and I'll update this as I finish up and "fluff" it a bit.

Here's the entire fleet as it stands so far:

I'm quite happy with the cruiser overall. I haven't figured out the loadout yet (and I'm not terribly attached to the cannon under the bow), so this may get updated to make some legible systems.

The two frigates share the same hull, with the left having double catapults and a point defense system and the right with double assault + spot.

The gunships (which, game-wise, is just intended as a fluffier name for smaller frigates) vary more dramatically. The left is intended as a double-defense/point electronic warfare ship. It just runs in front, provides cover, while spraying chaff everywhere. The right one is, like the frigate above, intended as double assault + spot.

Here's the rendered version, for clarity. There's a lot of black, so the photos are somewhat awful.
(Click for large version)

And here's the LDD

The render also includes some alternate stuff I haven't built yet. The default is the minimalist frame squads, but I've also got some non-SC fighter squadrons in the back. I've since updated them to be a touch sleeker and I really like 'em. The 2nd and 3rd HVAs are in the back row, but haven't been built yet. Still not sure what I want to do with them.

Not quite done yet, but just thought I'd ask for thoughts on the loadouts, the HVAs, and general comments.
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Re: New WIP fleet - now with photos

Postby Rphilo » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:05 am

Nice looking fleet! The medium azure really pops!
Rphilo
Talkative

Postby Atavism » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:12 pm

A lot of great shapes and a nice eye for color use. That cruiser though. I had a hard time really looking at the rest of the fleet because that thing is so frickin' good. Love the angles you got out of those fins (wings? leaves? spiky things.).
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Luke_BMM » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:23 pm

Thanks, guys. I learned from the best. :)

Atavism wrote:... Love the angles you got out of those fins (wings? leaves? spiky things.).

I'll be honest, I have no clue what to call them either. I think "leaves" is my new favorite, but I had been using "wings". Still not sure what to do with the loadout.

In other news, Riptor25's Boot Lego review had a Gubi "assault ship" that was almost a perfect fit for the fleet as-is. Here it is with a handful of swaps for the parts and colors I have on hand.

I figure double-defense (the binocular decoy launchers I use so often), point (the antenna in front of the bridge) and assault or support to taste for the big hutchin' gun on top.

[ Edit: Doh! Corrected the reviewer. I saw was the first comment and accidentally credited someone else. ]
Last edited by Luke_BMM on Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:41 pm

It wasn't me doing the review =p

Nice ships, by the way!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Jagarmot » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:46 pm

I can't "project" the renderings until I see "in the brick" pictures. Man, those are great !

The color scheme emphasizes the build quality, they are great display pieces on top of their game value.
Jagarmot
Talkative

Postby noofy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:53 pm

Sweet looking fleet - they have a real 'old skool' video game feel. Like R-Type or somesuch.
The clever hiding of the ball joints on the Cruiser is genius! Posability plus!

As Rphilo said, the azure just pops.
noofy
Chatty

Postby Luke_BMM » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:34 am

Thanks for the comments, guys.

noofy wrote:Sweet looking fleet - they have a real 'old skool' video game feel. Like R-Type or somesuch.

While I can't claim I was intentionally going for that look when I started 'em, as soon as I read that comment I said, "Awww yeah. That is what I want this to be."
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Postby charonlarp » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:59 pm

I love love love this. Fantastic idea to use those mixels joints to add wings/leaves/fins to your flagship.
charonlarp
Young Gun

Postby Hackjob » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:30 am

Excellent work! Really sweet cruiser, the "adjustable venturi thrust vanes" look awesome. I also like the gunboats, especially the point defence/ double defence one.
-Hackjob

Here's more: my Flikr
Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Postby schoon » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:12 pm

Excellent use of the mixel joints for the flagship vanes, especially placing them "under" the main body.

The entire fleet looks very unified - great work there too.

Just get the weapon representations down and you'll have a first class force!
schoon
Site Admin

Postby Lorc » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:28 pm

These all look... majestic. Great colours, lovely smooth shapes with tactful, restrained greebling. Majesty!
Lorc
Talkative

Postby Luke_BMM » Wed May 11, 2016 7:49 pm

Just a quick update. I haven't forgotten about coming back to these guys. Namely I was trying adding a bit of color. I'm seriously contemplating ordering a bunch of parts to make a Zentradi-inspired green and medium bley version with bright orange highlights.

Here's my typical black and dark red version, however. This is using the bits I have on hand, although I'd like to add a bit more medium grey to the mix, if I were to go ahead and place an order for parts.

The cruiser(s). Most of the systems wound up being a bit too clunky, when seen on the whole.
The systems, from left to right, are:
- d6Rd d6Rd Assault cannon; d6Y Aerials; d6B Anti missile batteries; and d6Y Radar array.
- d6Rd d6Rd Anti-ship missiles; d6Y Antennae; d8Rd (smaller) Railgun; and d6B Anti missile batteries.
- d6Ra d6Ra Great big railgun; 3d6 Black for two Catapults; and d6Rh Flechette array.

Here's a couple shots of the flagship. I really like the catapults and the railgun. The port-side scatter gun (point-range attack) isn't my favorite, however.

... And here's the first pass at a frigate using the same basic build. This has already been updated pretty substantially in LDD, but I haven't built the new version yet.

These are definitely changing further and might suddenly be in a wildly different color scheme... but I just thought I'd post some quick shots as a part of the work in progress. Sorry for the lousy photos. Natural light was rapidly failing me.
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Postby VitorFaria » Wed May 11, 2016 8:07 pm

Gotta love those eyeball frames!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Luke_BMM » Wed May 11, 2016 8:55 pm

VitorFaria wrote:Gotta love those eyeball frames!

Truth is that I just ran out of plain white round tiles, but then they really grew on me. Gives them just enough sense of actively looking around if you look at them like helmet markings instead of eyeballs.

Of course, it's really, really hard not to see them as eyeballs, unfortunately. :)
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Postby darksyntax » Sun May 29, 2016 4:02 pm

Luke_BMM wrote:Of course, it's really, really hard not to see them as eyeballs, unfortunately. :)

A little Brasso will take that printing right off.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Return to Intercept Orbit