ORT-49 Cirrostratus Carrier

This forum is for any Intercept Orbit creations.

ORT-49 Cirrostratus Carrier

Postby HyveMynd » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:38 pm

A dedicated mobile frame transport, the ORT-49 Cirrostratus contains an impressive six launch bays within its hull. Able to repair and refuel frame companies at record speed, its large engines grant it the maneuverability to deploy frame companies nearly anywhere. The ship lacks any kind of long-range firepower however, and is only armed with turret-mounted point defence weapons.

In game terms the ship is:
Frigate: 3 systems + green die
System 1: Frame catapult
System 2: Frame catapult
System 3: Point defense range weapon

Back to spaceships. While "cleaning up" my LEGO over the weekend I started tinkering with spaceships again. My intent was to build a ship for a completely new fleet, rather than make yet another ORT-XX variation. Oh well.

I just can't seem to get away from that "1x2 technic brick + two travis brick" engine design. Though this is a variation though. I put a headlight brick on the bottom of each travis brick making up the side engine. That made each side engine two bricks tall, but left a weird gap at the bottom. I filled it with a plain old 1x1 black brick, making the big seven-rocket engine.

The core of the ship is the standard Nimbostratus design; a stack of three travis bricks with two 1x1 plates between each one. Instead of the usual 1x6 plate across the bottom though, I used a 1x6 brick. You can't really see it, but the bottom tiles lay flush with the side panels.
@HyveMynd on Twitter

I stand with Twankus!
HyveMynd
Talkative

Re: ORT-49 Cirrostratus Carrier (Update 11/17/15)

Postby HyveMynd » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:55 pm

An update to the ORT-49 Cirrostratus:

ImageORT-49 Cirrostratus Carrier by Christopher Stone-Bush, on Flickr

I dropped the number of launch bays to two per side, reflecting the number of frame catapults it has in game. I wanted to make the launch bays more prominent, and came up with the idea to push them out by sinking the plates next to them back a bit. The ship has an extra plate's worth of width on each side now, allowing me to get the bevel effect. I really like that powder blue color and wish I had more of it.

I did something new with the base as well - a visual representation of the systems on the ship. I would prefer to use colored 1x1 tiles, as opposed to plates, but I don't have the pieces to do so. Tiles would mean a nice, smooth lip all the way round the base, and the flat surface of a tile would allow me to put decals on them. That would be especially handy, since I could show the different weapon ranges on the red tiles.

I also need to get a better backdrop. You can really see that I've just taped two sheets of construction paper together with that two-toned background. You don't realize such a shallow fold can make such a big difference until you shine a light on that thing. :\
@HyveMynd on Twitter

I stand with Twankus!
HyveMynd
Talkative

Re: ORT-49 Cirrostratus Carrier

Postby studless » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:36 pm

That is quite luverly.

I like how you went for the sleek finish on the front, but left the greebles in the back. I get the feeling that this ship just left the shipyard on it's way to a new frontier.

Didn't have a micro/mech/space/halo/alien/starcraft/star wars/WWII/LDD/brickarms/exo-force/mars mission description. :'(
studless
Chatty

Return to Intercept Orbit