ORT-21 Cumulonimbus BB (Battleship)

This forum is for any Intercept Orbit creations.

ORT-21 Cumulonimbus BB (Battleship)

Postby HyveMynd » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:21 pm

ImageORT-21 Cumulonimbus BB (Battleship) by HyveMynd, on Flickr

Again, thanks to Cake, I've built a two brick wide capital ship for the "NASA Industrial" fleet. 'Cumulonimbus' is a mouthful to say and is a combination of 'cumulus' and 'nimbus', which are the cruiser class and destroyer class frigates respectively, and so might be a bit confusing. 'Stratus' was another cloud name option, but cumulonimbus clouds are heavy, dense clouds that form mountains or towers and can produce hail and tornadoes. That sounds pretty appropriate for a battleship.

It took some fiddling to get the core right. It's a combination of 1x2 travis bricks and 1x1 bricks with a stud on one side. There are a few 1x2 plates between the bricks so that the studs line up correctly for the top and bottom plates. The ship is 12 studs long, which is a bit small coe a capital ship (maximum size limit is 16 studs).
@HyveMynd on Twitter

I stand with Twankus!
HyveMynd
Talkative

Re: ORT-21 Cumulonimbus BB (Battleship)

Postby Cake » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:04 am

This is great :D fits in perfectly with all the other ship designs you've created. I'm looking forward to a picture of the full fleet.

I was wondering how you were going to name it given that you'd already used Nimbus :)
You could always code name it Anvil if you get sick of saying cumulonimbus all the time ;)
Rooftop Racing Rules (Version 0.4.0) Version 0.5.0 coming soon, with some big changes.

CK Industries
CK-01 Hephaestus
CK-02 Artemis
Prototype Frames
CK-06 Aries
Cake
Talkative

Postby HyveMynd » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:49 pm

ORT-22 Cumulonimbus BB (Battleship)

ImageORT-22 Cumulonimbus BB (Battleship) by HyveMynd, on Flickr

A new version of the Cumulonimbus battleship using the slopes and curves I got over the weekend. I tried a bunch of different things for the prow, all of which looked not good. So we're sticking with this. The gun batteries on the sides are the same design as the ORT-08 Nimbus MkII DD; a 1x4 technic brick with 1x2 jumper plates in the top (and bottom holes) with minifig hands as the guns. I had to stick an extra 2x2 plate under the front white slope on either side of the prow so that they were somewhat flush with the tiles along the edge of the gun deck.

In Intercept Orbit capital ships have 4 systems (as opposed to 3 for frigates) and this thing probably has 1x defense system, 2x assault range weapon systems (the gun decks), and 1x point defense weapon system (the dorsal turrets). This is also the first capital ship that is on a correctly sized base. This is the only 8x8 plate I currently have. I need to get a bunch more 4x4 plates in black so I can have decent looking bases.
@HyveMynd on Twitter

I stand with Twankus!
HyveMynd
Talkative

Postby arkon » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:41 pm

yes! looks great, like it being a little wider than the last version.
the plastic gods demand sacrifice
arkon
Young Gun

Postby Cake » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:45 am

The gun decks on the ORT-22 look great, as does the longer slope brick on the bow. It's wonderful how you can tweak bits of the design yet the similarities between the variants are still really obvious.

Looking forward to seeing what other variants you create :)
Rooftop Racing Rules (Version 0.4.0) Version 0.5.0 coming soon, with some big changes.

CK Industries
CK-01 Hephaestus
CK-02 Artemis
Prototype Frames
CK-06 Aries
Cake
Talkative

Postby noofy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:01 pm

I Like both Christopher, but this on is rather menacing. and 'bristly' with all those smaller mounts.

I actually like the grid base! In Black would be awesome.
noofy
Chatty

Postby charonlarp » Thu May 14, 2015 1:05 am

Its... beautiful. I WANT ONE. O.O
charonlarp
Young Gun

Return to Intercept Orbit