ORT-07 Nimbus MkII (Update 4/11/15)

This forum is for any Intercept Orbit creations.

ORT-07 Nimbus MkII (Update 4/11/15)

Postby HyveMynd » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:02 am

ImageORT-07 Nimbus by HyveMynd, on Flickr

A shuttle or transport ship for the "NASA industrial" fleet I've been messing around with. Possibly a small frigate, or maybe an HVA; I'm not sure yet.

The core of this ship is pretty fragile, as the tiles along the top of the "spine" are barely held in place with a trio of technic half-pins. Bricks with studs on their sides hold technic pins much more loosely than regular bricks due to the holes in them, and that sloped brick doesn't hold them well either. I have no idea how to get the curved brick in front to be upside down though.

I tried putting a pair of 1x1 round brick "cargo cannisters" on the side, similar to the Libra frigate, but they were too big. Maybe if I built them with 1x1 round plates instead of the 1x1 round bricks.

The name was suggested by charonlarp for the ship that became the Libra, but I thought it fit here.
Last edited by HyveMynd on Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
@HyveMynd on Twitter

I stand with Twankus!
HyveMynd
Talkative

Re: ORT-07 Nimbus

Postby Cake » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:46 am

HyveMynd wrote: (...snip...)

A shuttle or transport ship for the "NASA industrial" fleet I've been messing around with. Possibly a small frigate, or maybe an HVA; I'm not sure yet.

This is a nice looking ship (so is the Libra, though I've not commented on that one :) )

The core of this ship is pretty fragile, as the tiles along the top of the "spine" are barely held in place with a trio of technic half-pins. Bricks with studs on their sides hold technic pins much more loosely than regular bricks due to the holes in them, and that sloped brick doesn't hold them well either. I have no idea how to get the curved brick in front to be upside down though.

One possible way to make it more rigid is to use travis bricks on their sides (so the bottom hole points to the stern) as a core. A bit like this, though it changes the appearance slightly:

Imagenimbus1
Imagenimbus2

I tried putting a pair of 1x1 round brick "cargo cannisters" on the side, similar to the Libra frigate, but they were too big. Maybe if I built them with 1x1 round plates instead of the 1x1 round bricks.

The 1x1 round plates would probably work far better than 1x1 round bricks

The name was suggested by charonlarp for the ship that became the Libra, but I thought it fit here.

I think the cloud-based names suit the aesthetic of these ships really well
Rooftop Racing Rules (Version 0.4.0) Version 0.5.0 coming soon, with some big changes.

CK Industries
CK-01 Hephaestus
CK-02 Artemis
Prototype Frames
CK-06 Aries
Cake
Talkative

Postby FragsturBait » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:46 pm

So I made a variant based around Cakes idea for the core, and added a ventral BFG while bulking it up just a touch. This is a really neat little ship, and I love your IO designs. I guess we can call it the Lucha Libra?

FragsturBait
Talkative

Postby Blorf » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:51 pm

FragsturBait wrote:So I made a variant...

I think you just made a Zerovirus gun.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:19 pm

Now I want to go home and build one of these.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Cake » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:44 pm

Blorf wrote:
FragsturBait wrote:So I made a variant...

I think you just made a Zerovirus gun.

This genuinely made me laugh out loud :D

Realised I'd made a mistake with the demo images above when I had a crack at bricking the Nimbus. Here's my gaudishly coloured variant (I have a limited brick collection to work with :( ), the ORT-07A, with the following changes: extra 1x2 plate between engines and rest of hull, 2x4 plates and additional 1x2 tiles to fit the side of the hull on correctly (as shown in the photo):

ImageORT-07A Nimbus by thamilus, on Flickr

ImageORT-07A Nimbus Internals by thamilus, on Flickr
Rooftop Racing Rules (Version 0.4.0) Version 0.5.0 coming soon, with some big changes.

CK Industries
CK-01 Hephaestus
CK-02 Artemis
Prototype Frames
CK-06 Aries
Cake
Talkative

Postby HyveMynd » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:25 pm

Cake wrote:Imagenimbus2

Aw dude! I'd been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to use travis bricks for the core while not having their studs interfere with the placement of the curved brick for the prow. THAT'S IT! Awesome! Now I don't have to use half pins to hold the top in place, leading to that unsightly gap.

Doe the updated 'two travis brick + two 1x1 plate' core hold the 2x3 plate siding? Or does it only hold 2x4 plate siding? While trying to rebuild the core I was also trying to find a place for weapon mounts (MF0:IO is a tabletop wargame after all) and thought the ship might need a bit more length.

FragsturBait wrote:So I made a variant based around Cakes idea for the core, and added a ventral BFG while bulking it up just a touch. This is a really neat little ship, and I love your IO designs. I guess we can call it the Lucha Libra?

What does that look like flipped upside down FragsturBait? Done up in black or dark grey, those headlight bricks look like the greebly bits found on the underside of a ship to me.

Speaking of, I think the ship would look awesome in dark grey with a yellow or red underbelly. Very Spacebattleship Yamato.
@HyveMynd on Twitter

I stand with Twankus!
HyveMynd
Talkative

Postby Cake » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:08 am

HyveMynd wrote:Aw dude! I'd been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to use travis bricks for the core while not having their studs interfere with the placement of the curved brick for the prow. THAT'S IT! Awesome! Now I don't have to use half pins to hold the top in place, leading to that unsightly gap.

Always happy to help :D

There is still a small gap right at the front of the ship, which I couldn't figure out how to fill, but is really small so isn't that unsightly - it can be just seen in the images I've linked. The model I built felt very solid too, thought the lower bowed brick is a bit fragile - adding another couple of 1x1 plates might help by wedging it in place (have a look at the bottom image, the bits are in red).

Doe the updated 'two travis brick + two 1x1 plate' core hold the 2x3 plate siding? Or does it only hold 2x4 plate siding? While trying to rebuild the core I was also trying to find a place for weapon mounts (MF0:IO is a tabletop wargame after all) and thought the ship might need a bit more length.

I tried fitting the 2x3 plate in the brick and it doesn't fit at all, hence the 2x4 plate with the extra 1x2 tile to fill the gap I'd created (which could also fit the round plates to make cargo cannisters if you wanted it as an HVA). Here's the updated digital version showing the match up between the 2x4 plate and the travis bricks:

Imagenimbus3 by thamilus, on Flickr

Swap the 1x2 tile with a 1x2 plate with one stud and you're sorted for weapon mounts, as shown here:

Imagenimbus4 by thamilus, on Flickr

I really enjoyed building this design, it's a nice little ship, and I can see potential for modifying it into other roles (and into a larger version) - thanks for sharing it :)

CK Industries
CK-01 Hephaestus
CK-02 Artemis
Prototype Frames
CK-06 Aries
Cake
Talkative

Postby HyveMynd » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:12 am

Cake wrote:I really enjoyed building this design, it's a nice little ship, and I can see potential for modifying it into other roles (and into a larger version) - thanks for sharing it :)

Thanks for doing up those awesome LDD models. :D

I was thinking about a larger version too. I'm going to try a 1x4 Technic brick in place of the 2x4 plate for each side. Placed horizontally, you could put three minifig hands into the holes along both the top and the bottom. Presto! Weapon batteries.

Now to see if I have any 1x4 Technic bricks...
@HyveMynd on Twitter

I stand with Twankus!
HyveMynd
Talkative

Postby Hackjob » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:11 pm

Another nice design, I look forward to seeing this fleet completed!
-Hackjob

Here's more: my Flikr
Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Postby HyveMynd » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:51 am

The ORT-07 Nimbus MkII!
ImageORT-07 Nimbus MkII by HyveMynd, on Flickr
Thanks to Cake, the ORT-07 Nimbus got an update. It's sturdier, holds together better, and is a bit longer. I also built a few variants, as the fleet will need some protection.

ORT-08 Nimbus Mk II Gunboat
ImageORT-08 Nimbus Mk II Gunboat by HyveMynd, on Flickr
Instead of the 2x4 plates for the sides, I used a 1x4 technic brick as the base for the gun deck. Two 1x2 jumper plates went into the two outermost holes on the top (and three 1x1 round plates went into the holes on the bottom, though you can't see them). The guns are minifig hands (I had quite a few after buying those Legend of Chima battle packs), though I only had six in light grey. I tried white initially, but they didn't look like weapons when they were the same color as the ship. The dark grey 1x1 round plate at the back was just to make the dark grey gun look intentional.

The gun deck is longer than the siding on the 07 Nimbus, so I had to remove the 1x1 plate and cheese wedge from the engines.I filled out the space between the 1x2 curves and the body with 1x1 plates. If I had more minifig hands, I suppose I could have a lower deck gun battery as well.

ORT-09 Nimbus MkII Torpedo Boat
ImageORT-09 Nimbus MkII Torpedo Boat by HyveMynd, on Flickr
I found a bunch of 2x2 plates with two studs along one side while building the gunboat and they became the missile launchers. It's essentially the 2x4 plate siding of the standard Nimbus, but with the curved brick facing the stern of the vessel and an additional plate of thickness. I don't have the 1x1 round tiles in any color other than light grey, so I try to identify missiles and rockets with a colored 1x1 round plate. I've done that with the four anti-ship missiles here.

Although all the Nimbus vessels have been mounted on an (illegal) 4x6 baseplate, I'm thinking that these are frigates in Intercept Orbit terms. So they should be on a 4x8 baseplate, but my Libra frigate is currently using the only one I have. :P
@HyveMynd on Twitter

I stand with Twankus!
HyveMynd
Talkative

Re: ORT-07 Nimbus MkII (Update 4/11/15)

Postby FragsturBait » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:34 am

That missile frigate is too sweet.
FragsturBait
Talkative

Postby Cake » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:23 am

I was trying to figure out how to blend the 1x4 Technic Brick into the hull for the ORT-08 Nimbus Mk II Gunboat over the weekend - hadn't thought of doing something so simple - it looks good. :)

Actually, they all look good. It really is a very versatile hull - it almost is the IO equivalent of a Chub...

You could probably fit a Frame Catapult in the bow in place of the bowed brick, and curve the keel using one of the smaller 1x2x2/3 bow bricks (Similar to the Cumulus' bow, or at least that's how it looks to me :) ). I might put another one together later on with a catapult on it

CK Industries
CK-01 Hephaestus
CK-02 Artemis
Prototype Frames
CK-06 Aries
Cake
Talkative

Postby Rphilo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:43 pm

This little ship is very impressive! I love how modular it is. You've been killing it lately HyveMynd! Great stuff!
Rphilo
Talkative

Postby HyveMynd » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:18 pm

Thanks guys! I'm having a blast building these things (though I need to place a BrickLink order so I can have more than one together at a time), and I'm glad people like them. Big, big kudos to Cake for solving that core issue. :)

I'm working on some smaller transport ships that will be used as HVAs, so the Nimbus is being upgraded to a destroyer.
@HyveMynd on Twitter

I stand with Twankus!
HyveMynd
Talkative

Postby Blorf » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:27 am

I don't have too much to add beyond what's already been said, but I really like what you're doing with this whole line.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby HyveMynd » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:55 pm

Thanks guys. You've all been a tremendous help.

I need to put in a BrickLink order eventually, as I can only have one ship together at a time.
@HyveMynd on Twitter

I stand with Twankus!
HyveMynd
Talkative

Postby FragsturBait » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:49 am

Finally got around to taking some pictures. I've settled on 3 variants that I really like after quite a bit of tinkering.

First, an assault variant, with a BFG and a few SSG
Second, the big blocky support variant, with long range weapons and high tech d6B type fluff.
Last is the obligatory "this almost looks better upside down" scout/spy variant.

Have I mentioned how much I love this thing?
FragsturBait
Talkative

Postby HyveMynd » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:22 am

FragsturBait wrote:Image
Second, the big blocky support variant, with long range weapons and high tech d6B type fluff.

I absolutely love that 'Hammerhead' variant. Very slick. And that asymmetrical control island is sweet.

Awesome color scheme, too. Very, very nice.
@HyveMynd on Twitter

I stand with Twankus!
HyveMynd
Talkative

Postby Cake » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:45 am

FragsturBait wrote:Finally got around to taking some pictures. I've settled on 3 variants that I really like after quite a bit of tinkering.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7638/16967100670_4eb330aa6c.jpg
First, an assault variant, with a BFG and a few SSG
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7698/16967101140_0928f9600f.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7710/17128683876_3c533ede10.jpg
Last is the obligatory "this almost looks better upside down" scout/spy variant.

Have I mentioned how much I love this thing?

Love the classic space colour scheme you've got there :D
Your "Hammerhead" design has given me an idea that I can't brick up (sadly lacking the pieces) so I'll have to resort to a digital version :)
EDIT - Here's the digital version of that idea:
ImageHammerhead by thamilus, on Flickr

The last one makes me think of whales - this seems to happen with some IO designs for some reason - maybe I should try and make a space whale...

CK Industries
CK-01 Hephaestus
CK-02 Artemis
Prototype Frames
CK-06 Aries
Cake
Talkative

Next

Return to Intercept Orbit