[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mobile Frame Hangar • View topic - ORT-07 Nimbus MkII (Update 4/11/15)

ORT-07 Nimbus MkII (Update 4/11/15)

This forum is for any Intercept Orbit creations.

ORT-07 Nimbus MkII (Update 4/11/15)

Postby HyveMynd » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:02 am

by , on Flickr

A shuttle or transport ship for the "NASA industrial" fleet I've been messing around with. Possibly a small frigate, or maybe an HVA; I'm not sure yet.

The core of this ship is pretty fragile, as the tiles along the top of the "spine" are barely held in place with a trio of technic half-pins. Bricks with studs on their sides hold technic pins much more loosely than regular bricks due to the holes in them, and that sloped brick doesn't hold them well either. I have no idea how to get the curved brick in front to be upside down though.

I tried putting a pair of 1x1 round brick "cargo cannisters" on the side, similar to the , but they were too big. Maybe if I built them with 1x1 round plates instead of the 1x1 round bricks.

The name was suggested by charonlarp for the ship that became the Libra, but I thought it fit here.
Last edited by HyveMynd on Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
@HyveMynd basically everywhere

Philly Expat in Japan | audio editor by day RPG creator by night | Monsterhearts fan | LEGO builder | Netrunner player | she/her
HyveMynd
Talkative

Re: ORT-07 Nimbus

Postby Cake » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:46 am

Version 0.5.1 coming soon, with some tweaks and bits that I missed in 0.5.0.

CK Industries

Cake
Talkative

Postby FragsturBait » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:46 pm

So I made a variant based around Cakes idea for the core, and added a ventral BFG while bulking it up just a touch. This is a really neat little ship, and I love your IO designs. I guess we can call it the Lucha Libra?

FragsturBait
Talkative

Postby Blorf » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:51 pm

Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:19 pm

Now I want to go home and build one of these.

-- A MFZ blog.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Cake » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:44 pm

CK Industries

Cake
Talkative

Postby HyveMynd » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:25 pm

Philly Expat in Japan | audio editor by day RPG creator by night | Monsterhearts fan | LEGO builder | Netrunner player | she/her
HyveMynd
Talkative

Postby Cake » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:08 am

CK Industries

Cake
Talkative

Postby HyveMynd » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:12 am

HyveMynd
Talkative

Postby Hackjob » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:11 pm

Another nice design, I look forward to seeing this fleet completed!
-Hackjob

Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Postby HyveMynd » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:51 am

The ORT-07 Nimbus MkII!

by , on Flickr
Thanks to Cake, the ORT-07 Nimbus got an update. It's sturdier, holds together better, and is a bit longer. I also built a few variants, as the fleet will need some protection.

ORT-08 Nimbus Mk II Gunboat

by , on Flickr
Instead of the 2x4 plates for the sides, I used a 1x4 technic brick as the base for the gun deck. Two 1x2 jumper plates went into the two outermost holes on the top (and three 1x1 round plates went into the holes on the bottom, though you can't see them). The guns are minifig hands (I had quite a few after buying those Legend of Chima battle packs), though I only had six in light grey. I tried white initially, but they didn't look like weapons when they were the same color as the ship. The dark grey 1x1 round plate at the back was just to make the dark grey gun look intentional.

The gun deck is longer than the siding on the 07 Nimbus, so I had to remove the 1x1 plate and cheese wedge from the engines.I filled out the space between the 1x2 curves and the body with 1x1 plates. If I had more minifig hands, I suppose I could have a lower deck gun battery as well.

ORT-09 Nimbus MkII Torpedo Boat

by , on Flickr
I found a bunch of 2x2 plates with two studs along one side while building the gunboat and they became the missile launchers. It's essentially the 2x4 plate siding of the standard Nimbus, but with the curved brick facing the stern of the vessel and an additional plate of thickness. I don't have the 1x1 round tiles in any color other than light grey, so I try to identify missiles and rockets with a colored 1x1 round plate. I've done that with the four anti-ship missiles here.

Although all the Nimbus vessels have been mounted on an (illegal) 4x6 baseplate, I'm thinking that these are frigates in Intercept Orbit terms. So they should be on a 4x8 baseplate, but my Libra frigate is currently using the only one I have. :P

HyveMynd
Talkative

Re: ORT-07 Nimbus MkII (Update 4/11/15)

Postby FragsturBait » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:34 am

That missile frigate is too sweet.
FragsturBait
Talkative

Postby Cake » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:23 am

I was trying to figure out how to blend the 1x4 Technic Brick into the hull for the ORT-08 Nimbus Mk II Gunboat over the weekend - hadn't thought of doing something so simple - it looks good. :)

Actually, they all look good. It really is a very versatile hull - it almost is the IO equivalent of a Chub...

You could probably fit a Frame Catapult in the bow in place of the bowed brick, and curve the keel using one of the smaller 1x2x2/3 bow bricks (Similar to the Cumulus' bow, or at least that's how it looks to me :) ). I might put another one together later on with a catapult on it

CK Industries

Cake
Talkative

Postby Rphilo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:43 pm

This little ship is very impressive! I love how modular it is. You've been killing it lately HyveMynd! Great stuff!
Rphilo
Talkative

Postby HyveMynd » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:18 pm

Thanks guys! I'm having a blast building these things (though I need to place a BrickLink order so I can have more than one together at a time), and I'm glad people like them. Big, big kudos to Cake for solving that core issue. :)

I'm working on some smaller transport ships that will be used as HVAs, so the Nimbus is being upgraded to a destroyer.

HyveMynd
Talkative

Postby Blorf » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:27 am

I don't have too much to add beyond what's already been said, but I really like what you're doing with this whole line.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby HyveMynd » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:55 pm

Thanks guys. You've all been a tremendous help.

I need to put in a BrickLink order eventually, as I can only have one ship together at a time.

HyveMynd
Talkative

Postby FragsturBait » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:49 am

Finally got around to taking some pictures. I've settled on 3 variants that I really like after quite a bit of tinkering.

First, an assault variant, with a BFG and a few SSG

Second, the big blocky support variant, with long range weapons and high tech d6B type fluff.

Last is the obligatory "this almost looks better upside down" scout/spy variant.

Have I mentioned how much I love this thing?
FragsturBait
Talkative

Postby HyveMynd » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:22 am

HyveMynd
Talkative

Postby Cake » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:45 am

CK Industries

Cake
Talkative

Next

Return to Intercept Orbit