Corporate fleet, VenTEK Arcturus Garrison

This forum is for any Intercept Orbit creations.

Corporate fleet, VenTEK Arcturus Garrison

Postby Luke_BMM » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:10 pm

VenTEK is a defense contractor which maintains a research facility on Arcturus. It would be slightly more accurate to say that the outpost on Arcturus is primarily made up of the research facility. The colonial garrison serves not only as the primary defense of the colony, but also as a testbed for ongoing research projects. Crew members tend to prefer the term "guinea pigs" over "testbed."

Well outside of the SU's watchful eye and unburdened by regulation, half-baked research projects are frequently integrated into the fleet. On the one hand, the ships can be considered marvels of automation, with very small crews manning substantially more powerful ships than would ordinarily be possible... when it all works. These automation systems are notoriously unreliable, however, and frequently incompatible. More than a few feel that the crew sizes are intentionally kept small to minimize losses when things inevitably go catastrophically awry.

(Click for large version)

I finally got around to making a reasonably cohesive fleet based upon the Tribute-class frigate and reusing some of the ideas from my first attempt at a fleet. I'm probably going to change up the systems quite a bit but I do love the micro frames, so I went a little overboard with the retrieval claw / frame launcher idea and added a cruiser with a big honkin' gun, for more dakka.

Starting with the back row, that's:
- The Caravaggio and Shadow Squadron (double assault and catapult... and an experimental stealth system that has yet to work... ever)
- The Faust and Red Squadron (point, assault, and catapult on the port side)
- The Horwendill and Ghost Squadron (point, catapult, spot, and a green ace)
- The Grendel (double assault and double defense)

And in the front row, we have two HVAs:
- the Merlin, an experimental frigate, out testing a hypothetically-safe propulsion system; and
- a pair of shuttles, packed full of scientists and instruments, recording the progress of the Merlin.

Individual detail shots coming shortly.
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Re: Corporate fleet, VenTEK Arcturus Garrison

Postby Luke_BMM » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:57 pm

Individual shots:

The Horwendill and Ghost Squadron
Wikipedia tells me that Horwendill was the historical basis for Hamlet's father, hence the ghost thing.
Link to the top view and side view below:

The Caravaggio and Shadow Squadron
Black is hard to photograph with a camera phone but the color scheme really does look better in person. The two cannons are kinda rubbish and get lost against the hull, however. I should really come up with an alternative.
Link to the side view and top view below:

The Faust and Red Squadron
I'm really not sure on the starboard side cannon. Might replace it, just not sure what to do, yet.
Link to the top view and side view below:
Image (Frame retrieval arm extended)

The Grendel
This was basically a knee jerk reaction to the realization that I'd made three carrier frigates and was lacking in ridiculous firepower. Mission accomplished.
Link to the side view and top view below:

The Merlin and the shuttles
The Merlin originally started off as an idea for a ridiculously oversized rail gun, but it didn't fit in with the rest of the fleet in the slightest, which is what lead to the Grendel's chunky cannon.
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Postby aurlaent » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:07 pm

Nice to see another huge fleet.
Maybe for the Caravaggio's guns you could change the tile clip to red, just to highlight that there is somehting there.
aurlaent
Talkative

Postby Hackjob » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:12 pm

I love it! It's great too see your complete fleet. I really like the use of the hinges in the ship's hulls, it gives them a very distinctive silhouette. And I really like the Merlin, it's gracefull lines make it stand out against the fleet and look "experimental". I'm a big fan of the green ace design, it really looks like it could push stuff around. Also, the backstory cracks me up, so pretty much a big win from me.

-Havkjob
-Hackjob

Here's more: my Flikr
Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Luke_BMM » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:07 pm

Thanks, guys.

Hackjob wrote:...I really like the use of the hinges in the ship's hulls, it gives them a very distinctive silhouette...

Full credit goes to Rphilo, as these started off as a small-scale copy of the Arclight, in particular.

Also, if you don't care for the nautical-style profile, they're really easy to change to a more direct rip-off for a completely different shape.

Also, because it's how I roll, LDD attached.
Attachments
VenTEK-Garrison.lxf
That's the whole damn fleet.
(46.75 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Postby Rphilo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:43 am

Looking really good! Lots of really good shaping going on here! Awesome job!
Rphilo
Talkative

Postby noofy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:25 am

I love the use of hinge clips for shaping. Awesome idea! especially when the hinges are 'external' (like in the Grendel) it gives such an instant profile and character. :)
Gotta make some ships now!
noofy
Chatty

Postby Riptor25 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:54 am

Not gonna lie, I REALLY like the Merlin's design. Very simple, very elegant.
A [Single-Set] Challenger has appeared!
"Use your head you can success. Price may discount, BUT enjoy never discount." The Boot-Lego guarantee.
Riptor25
Talkative

Postby Luke_BMM » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:18 pm

One more to add. I found an old LDD file and realized I almost had enough parts to make it now. Not quite (there are a few unfortunate color swaps just below the bridge), but close enough to snap off a few shots.

The Hector is a full-on carrier with double catapults (the grills fore and aft of the bridge), defense (I really need a way to represent that, so I should add a few binoculars as decoy launchers), and spot (the big antenna). Because the fleet just didn't have enough carriers, right?

Attachments
hector.lxf
The LDD pretty much matches, without the awkward lime, tan, and dark bley seen in-brick!
(25.39 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Postby Rphilo » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:03 pm

Sweet! Nice looking carrier!
Rphilo
Talkative

Return to Intercept Orbit