Ironnerd's First Game

Battle reports and play-by-post games
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Ironnerd's First Game

Postby ironnerd » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:35 am

I was finally able to play MF:0 (mostly).

My Game-Bro has zero Legos, and I don't seem to have enough of the right kind of Legos to make 10 Frames, so I adapted the rules for cardboard counter-and-hex-map play. I hope you can all forgive this heresy. I do plan to LEGO-IZE my game in the coming weeks.

<My Hex-Grid Conversion>
Mobile Frame Zero: Super Zeta (tongue in cheek, I assure you).
Ranges are in Hexes, instead of Ruler Units.
Hand-to-Hand Range: Adjacent (or 01 hex)
Direct Range: 02-08 hexes
Artillery: 09-20 hexes

For Movement; moving into woods, into water, or up or down a level cost 1 additional movement pip.

For Spotting; 02 systems has a radius of 20 hexes.

Woods and water count as cover if the frame is in the hex.
LVL 1 terrain or buildings count as cover for adjacent Frames.
LVL 2+ terrain or buildings provide total cover (thus absorbing all attacks) if between the combatants an along a row of hexes (I may need to illustrate that)

Frames and Stations were printed on 2-sided 1 x 1.8 counters held upright by plastic bases. The bases were just anime city scenes, my Frames were VOTOMS, my buddy's were all from Gundam.
</My Hex-Grid Conversion>

We followed the rules as closely as we could, both being 1st timers, there were a few things we hammered out and agreed upon in situ, and we did have to go back to the rules a few times during the first round of battle. We probably made a few mistakes, but we had a good time, so I'll call it a success.

Game time for 5-on-5 frames was 2 hours. Since we are accustomed to Battletech, this was lightning fast. Even acceptable by Alpha Strike standards.
Gundam Units won; 35:25
No Stations changed hands - we just pummeled each other into the dirt (IT WAS GLORIOUS!)

Going Grid-map had a few advantages. It was cheap and making a frame takes a few seconds. It also let us test the game with items we had pretty much on-hand. Unfortunately it lacks the "WOW" factor of Lego Frames. I would never use the paper-frame system for a demo or anything (I run Battletech Demos at local cons - I actually think this would garner more interest though).

Cool game, guys! Glad I stumbled onto it.
The Classic Gamers' Table
http://battletech3025.proboards.com
Battletech 3025, Villains & Vigilantes, Basic Dungeons & Dragons, Big Eyes, Small Mouth, Mekton Zeta, and Silent Death discussions.
ironnerd
Newcomer

Re: Ironnerd's First Game

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:02 pm

Really nice report!

ironnerd wrote:My Game-Bro has zero Legos, and I don't seem to have enough of the right kind of Legos to make 10 Frames, so I adapted the rules for cardboard counter-and-hex-map play. I hope you can all forgive this heresy. I do plan to LEGO-IZE my game in the coming weeks.

There's no such thing as heresy here, this game is community based and do-it-yourself by nature, and accessibility is part of the spirit of the game, so any adaptation so you can make the game run with what you have is not only welcomed but encouraged. Heck, I played it with everything, even match boxes and deodorant cans!

ironnerd wrote:<My Hex-Grid Conversion>
Mobile Frame Zero: Super Zeta (tongue in cheek, I assure you).
Ranges are in Hexes, instead of Ruler Units.
Hand-to-Hand Range: Adjacent (or 01 hex)
Direct Range: 02-08 hexes
Artillery: 09-20 hexes

For Movement; moving into woods, into water, or up or down a level cost 1 additional movement pip.

For Spotting; 02 systems has a radius of 20 hexes.

Woods and water count as cover if the frame is in the hex.
LVL 1 terrain or buildings count as cover for adjacent Frames.
LVL 2+ terrain or buildings provide total cover (thus absorbing all attacks) if between the combatants an along a row of hexes (I may need to illustrate that)

Frames and Stations were printed on 2-sided 1 x 1.8 counters held upright by plastic bases. The bases were just anime city scenes, my Frames were VOTOMS, my buddy's were all from Gundam.
</My Hex-Grid Conversion>

That sounds a pretty logical and straightforward conversion. Interesting take on cover.

ironnerd wrote:No Stations changed hands - we just pummeled each other into the dirt

That often happens during beginner matches, I heavily advise you to start trying station capture strategies before your opponent does!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby ironnerd » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:26 pm

Wait... you guys DON'T take this game more seriously than life itself? Well that's actually refreshing. More and more glad I found this gem of a game. Most game-dedicated forums are pretty uptight.

Our take on cover came about from a quick discussion during the game. It was the only way we could see to make the map-sheets work and keep a nice Anime feel.

By the time I realized I needed to go after his Stations, I was just about dead.
I had to get over the Battletech notion of "Kill everything" mind set. I COULD have gone around him...

Faster Frames for going after the Stations, and a couple of slow brute Frames to guard my Stations... We'll see if that works out at all :) I'll also put my Stations in more interesting terrain. He had his behind water and it worked quite well as a natural barrier.
Battletech 3025, Villains & Vigilantes, Basic Dungeons & Dragons, Big Eyes, Small Mouth, Mekton Zeta, and Silent Death discussions.
ironnerd
Newcomer

Postby Blorf » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:03 am

I do strongly encourage you to play the rules as written at least a few times. The game is better written than it seems at first. There's a ton of tactical depth in what appears to be an oversimplified ruleset. It's a mistake to dismiss any part of this game outright without first trying it.

But don't take that as me telling you how to play! We've got a section of this board that's full of rule variants, most with lively discussion as to their effects and balance. Most of the time, the community improves these variants through discussion. I've got a couple common house rules of my own.

This forum has a strong respect for the rules, but an even stronger respect for creativity. Put simply, imagination is encouraged.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby ironnerd » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:47 pm

I plan to play by the rules, I just need more Legos in order to do so.

This was a minimal change just give the game a shot without making an emergency run to the Lego store.
I built some ugly frames this week - I'll have to scrounge up pieces for my game-bro and make some ugly frames for him as well.
ironnerd
Newcomer

Return to Mobile Frame Battle Reports