A day at a game store: Episode 2: The amazing come back

Battle reports and play-by-post games
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

A day at a game store: Episode 2: The amazing come back

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:20 pm

I'm here to tell a tale of glory, treachery, skill and the power of will against all odds!

May the two of you who actually read battle reports on this fora feel all the intensity of this glorious skirmish!

Vitor Faria: (Crimson Legion, 3f, 2 st, 11sys, 6ppa):
d6Rd d6Rd d6Y d6G d6B d6W d6W d8Rr Boxy Boy Mass Production Type
d6Ra d6Ra d6Y d6Y d6B d6W d6W Reclusive Spider Mass Production Type
d6Rh d6Rh d6Y d6B d6W d6W d8G d8Rr d8Rr Lockon Mass Production Type

Lourenço: (Classic Space Team, 3f, 2 st, 12sys, 4ppa):
d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra d6Y d6Y d6W d6W Salticidae Mass Production Type
d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra d6B d6B d6W d6W d8Rr Lockon Mass Production Type - Space Team Ver.
d6Rh d6Rh d6Y d6B d6B d6W d6W d8G d8Rr d8Rr Lockon Mass Production Type - Space Team Ver.

Pedro Vilkn: (Beefy Bruisers, 3f, 2 st, 12sys, 4ppa):
d6Rd d6Rd d6Y d6G d6B d6W d6W 04miles
d6Ra d6Ra d6Y d6Y d6B d6W d6W d8Rr d8Rr 05scopum
d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh d6Y d6B d6W d6W d8G d8Rr 03ignis

My initial strategy, as the defender, was to lay low until the late game. Yet, suddenly, I found myself against a company with 2/3 of artillery frames in a very big map with only nine frames. I shifted my plans, striking Lourenço hard and consistently, negating him the chance of having two strong and unscathed artillery units in the late game.

The problem with this plan shift was that he focused heavily on me as well, making me lose a frame very early in the game.

Fortunately, Pedro got a very strong grip on the Battlefield (arguably, too much of a strong grip, at one point it got real scary) shifting the attention almost completely away from me.

In a near miracle, I was able to reclaim my two original stations in the very last moves while also exploding one of Pedro's frames (which was defending a station against Lourenço), shifting points in my favor at last.

Turn pics:

Fielded my forces center-right, sorta leaving my stations tempting my enemies while not exactly running away from them. Pedro fielded his forces upper-left and Lourenço lower-left.

Lost my HtH frame, oh noes!

Lost both of my stations, each taken by one of the opposing factions. Things started looking very grim for me, but damage to Lourenço started to add up.

Pedro started to look dangerous here, stomping around nearly undisputed.

Until his green frame started to pay the price. I begin my march to victory, in an effort to reclaim my lost stations.

That spider gloriously won me the game at last, capturing a station while blowing Pedro's white artillerist. His green frame survived, thou. Lourenço also lost his HtH Lockon.

Misc pics:

The spider that could! Running a six despite having no green dice, while blowing up an enemy unit!

Notes:
  • All players played defense (were winning) at least at one point in the game.
  • We all lost one of our three frames.
  • We all lost and captured stations at many points as well.
  • We got a few curious looks in the store, but no demo was played, unfortunately.
  • I'm growing to like this store more and more. Props to the crew again!
  • We had lots of fun!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Re: A day at a game store: Episode 2: The amazing come back

Postby Blorf » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:30 am

Sounds like a great game! Just having people see it is good; they may be busy and check it out later. Everyone should leave the book on the table when you play in public.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:41 am

Blorf wrote:Sounds like a great game! Just having people see it is good; they may be busy and check it out later. Everyone should leave the book on the table when you play in public.

I had the book out (if you squint you can see it in at least one of the pics) and some interested people read a bit of it, including some of the store staff.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:26 pm

Looks like a fun game.

Blorf wrote:Sounds like a great game! Just having people see it is good; they may be busy and check it out later. Everyone should leave the book on the table when you play in public.

We usually have a little sign when we're playing out and I always have a copy of the book with me.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Return to Mobile Frame Battle Reports