[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mobile Frame Hangar • View topic - Re: Opting flats in Kakkanad

Re: Opting flats in Kakkanad

Post your MFZ-inspired fiction and artwork for others to admire
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All your posts should reflect this

Postby Atavism » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:26 am

This thread began as a spam post which offered a link to a residential contractor in the city of Kakkanad.

Apartments were for rent in a safe, clean, urban area surrounding the upscale administrative district. Young professionals were encouraged to move to this developing district, attractive with its easy commute and open greenspace.

This is all provably untrue- (cut to second post)

edit for explanation
Last edited by Atavism on Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Atavism » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:36 am

When we applied, they said Kakkanad was developed. They said Kakkanad was growing, urban, comfortable. They said Kakkanad would offer us a new start with good jobs.

They lied.

Our ship to Kakkanad landed in the middle of a sandstorm. Red and orange grit was a harsh contrast to the green and blue landscaping in the brochure my wife clutched in her shaking hand. The crew kept us bottled up in a cargo bay until it passed, nothing to do but listen to the whistling of the wind as it scoured the hull. When we were let out we were almost grateful to set foot on the flat sand nothing of Kakkanad.

Guards appeared, and herded us into simple corrugated steel barracks. We huddled on bunks, whispering, wondering, until nightfall. Eventually a man showed up, tall, broad, but going fat in his later years. He told us to forget the brochures and the travel documents, we were here to work.

It was two years after my wife died when I put my pneumato-sledgehammer down on that man. It was three before the marines gated in and the war began.
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby XGundam05 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:24 am

This is good stuff. Ought to be moved to the Fan Fiction instead of the OT. Unless I'm massively off-base in my assumption of setting ;)
- "I will not die here / I still have too much to do / And too much ammo" ~ Zer0
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Sovietshadow » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:55 am

Actually this used to be spam. Ata just decided to get creative on us ;)
You laugh at fate, and fate will laugh right back at you.
Sovietshadow
Talkative

Postby XGundam05 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:16 am

Well then :D All the more reason for the highlighting of this impressively creative prose ;)
- "I will not die here / I still have too much to do / And too much ammo" ~ Zer0
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Sovietshadow » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:45 am

Yup
Sovietshadow
Talkative

Postby Atavism » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:27 pm

Yeah, the original post was a long winded spiel about how wonderful the Kakkanad area was and how they had apartments for rent there (Wikipedia: this is somewhere in India). I kinda figured the entire thread would be deleted after I reported the post, and it was late enough at night (early enough in the morning?) that whipping up a short prior to its destruction seemed like a great idea.

Edit: I think I'll change the first post, where I was arguing with the OP (did I mention I was tired?) to reflect as much.
Last edited by Atavism on Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:37 pm

-- A MFZ blog.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Atavism » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:58 pm

Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Atavism » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:49 pm

The Fall of Kakkanad System

As a business, AstroMax had its priorities straight. Good tools to maximize productivity, everything else as cheap as possible to reduce overhead. As a dictatorship, their days had always been numbered.

The rebellion was easy, at first. Once we realized the destructive potential of our mining frames it seemed like a no-brainer. I guess they just did such a good job keeping us down all we ever saw was tools- like that old expression “bringing a knife to a gunfight.” The fact of the matter is that all the improvements put into our frames to keep them working in the depths of the mines also made them ideal for close combat, and the guards were outfitted in frames so cheap the brand name was, honest-to-God, “Clankers.”

We still wouldn't have pulled it off it some of the guards hadn't sided with us when it mattered. I think I nearly blew all the clout of my new found hero status keeping those guys alive when the dust settled and all that was left was a mob that still had anger left to spend.

Honestly, I think AstroMax had put the screws to the guards as much as they did us, it was just a matter of which list HR wrote your name on that put a gun on your hip or a shovel in your hands.

It may have been easier if not for Felix. I think he was wide-eyed and ragged before he came to this dustball, and what he went through turned him into a true believer of some manifesto or other. He had a natural talent for conspiracy that made him crucial to the rebellion, but it made him see conspiracy everywhere. It wasn't enough that AstroMax was evil, but the whole Union was in on enslaving humanity. I guess it didn't surprise me how quickly he fell in with his “friends” when they showed up on the scene.

It was nearly our undoing, really. Once the rebellion ground the Governor's mansion to gravel we no longer had anything holding us together besides a shared past we all wanted to get rid of. Personalities that arose naturally in the situation clashed in the absence of codified power. It eventually shook out to two camps. The first wanted to hold out for the Union to come through the gate and end the siege of the planet, the second just saw the Union as another company coming in to take over the system.

I think AstroMax was counting on something like that. They couldn't stop us from transmitting through the gate without keeping it closed, but they didn't have to open it until their reinforcements came through. They probably had a clerk somewhere making an official-looking timeline for corporate that explained the time delays between their mercenaries arriving and the Union getting our distress signal. Would it be enough to turn us into the savages they needed to spin the whole affair back in their favor?

Almost.

It started out quiet. I liked to think I had shut down talk of finding “collaborators” and meting out “justice,” but for every word I said against it in public Felix said three of his own in private. It was never as bad as it could be, but people would disappear, have “accidents.” Eventually we had it out and we split. We were able to work together when the marines dropped down, but it wasn't the same. It was always a sort-of barter where we each tried to commit just a little less, or scavenge a little bit more than the other guy.

The marines weren't slouches like the guards had been, either. These guys had milspec “chubs” and A. Yates Industrials branded equipment. If we didn't know the mines, if we hadn't foreseen the need to lay the groundwork for ambushes and quick retreats, they'd have wiped us out even if we were cooperating. We were getting pushed back a little more every day though.

I'll always remember the day I nearly bit it. It was also the day that, for better or worse, the Ijad showed up from deep-space.

We were waiting on a squad of marines to get to a particular intersection in one of the older parts of town, near where we had piled the rubble of the Governor's mansion as a memorial, of sorts. Our spotters had marked them a ways off, and we had positioned ourselves in “spider holes” just underneath the road, ready to break through.

Jones, he was a big man with a fiery red beard that didn't at all match his improbably dark skin, he had volunteered to be the bait. He waited in his converted heavy-loader on the far side of the intersection, and stepped into view as the marines turned the corner. There was a fraction of a second while they stood there in their dark red and bluish-grey livery, then they blinked and all we could hear was the thrumming of their slugs ricocheting off his heavy armor. One of them charged him with some sort of vibro-knife, and we sprung.

Asphalt caved and churned as our diggers burst through into the dull red sunlight. I had one of them with my hammer before he even turned to face me. Bam-bam-bam and he was missing an arm and his armor plates were shattered. I don't like thinking about what my hydraulic jackhammer did to the man inside when it's captive bolt punched through to him.

We were almost ready to cut and run when Jones' rig blew up. Artillery of some sort. I'll never know. A team of Ospreys dropped down among us. An officer, an important one too if his expensive Maersk-Blue plating meant anything, pointed right at me. This was perhaps not the most subtle signal, but I didn't really have anywhere to hide as their guns opened up on me. The pistons in my legs failed immediately and my jack went pretty quickly after that.

The officer was about to put his sword through me when his upper-half turned into pure light and sparkling dips of molten metal. A swarm of small, four legged frames swept through with an array of exotic energy weapons. They left as quickly as they appeared, taking the battle down-field.

Next time I met him Felix had a new friend living on the back of his head. He was smug about it, and at the time I really didn't have grounds to object. With the new addition his rhetoric heated to a fever pitch. It wasn't enough to defeat AstroMax and its flunkies, telling the Union to get lost was too small scale. We were to work the mines to supply his friends in a greater war against the Union itself. His people didn't seem too thrilled about the idea of going back to the mines, but as he walked around the room, touching each on the shoulder or the forearm, and making deep eye contact as he asked for their commitment to the cause, they gave it to him.

My people left before he was done speaking.

The situation was exploding all around us. The only differences between Felix's raids on the marines and on our own depots was he'd ask us to leave first, and we did. I don't think the aliens brought very many with them, but they so outclassed us there wasn't any point in fighting it out. We just took everything we could to the mines and dug deeper. Hoping for the Union to show up before Felix was done with the marines.

It was pretty quiet in our hole, we did our best to shepherd our reserves, did our best to keep the hydroponics running, did our best to wait without going crazy. Then one day we woke up to alarms. Our hole was surrounded. It was time to join or die. The alien leader, riding a human male that referred to themselves collectively as Mihoul Raechsoun waffled between discomfort and ambivalence during the proceedings, but Felix and his rider were pretty adamant that we join his tribe. When I pointed out that this wasn't any better than what AstroMax was doing, Felix didn't even flinch. It was for the greater good, he assured me, and my reactionary attitude wasn't going to be tolerated going forward.

My people sealed the mine behind me as instructed. An alien gorilla of some sort was about to shackle me when the sky exploded. For an instant, it was like Terra again. Bright white light lit the sky blue. Then a thunderclap. The sky was suddenly full of stars that whipped around each other like a swarm of jeweled insects. Chaos erupted around me as everyone scrambled to meet the drop pods falling from what I was later informed to be the SSF Paravel, first to arrive in the Union's peacekeeping task force.

I just stood there, stupid, staring at the new star in the sky. I think it was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

I was finally going to go home.

I wish my wife had gotten to see it too.
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:05 pm

This is fantastic. Thank you.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Sovietshadow » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:53 am

Absolutely amazing! But you stole my idea... not literally, of course, but my next company was going to be a rebel mining group, and you even had an Ijad part too! Now i can't do it without feeling like i'm plagerizing :(
Sovietshadow
Talkative

Postby Mantisking » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:02 am

That is a great story. I love the last line.

-- A MFZ blog.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Atavism » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:57 am

Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:26 am

I guess The Chet Man isn't concerned about socially-conscious and sustainable manufacturing. Can't say that comes as a surprise. I wonder if he ever got that fire sorted out. I doubt he'll be getting replacement parts now.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Atavism » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:43 am

Aww man, poor Chet. Last I heard he skipped town to dodge a huge bill from emergency services. He said he was going to make it big through a Twanks LLC hiring fair, so you know, by now, he's probably dead. :lol:

Who knows though. Maybe one day he'll show up as an elite Legionnaire or soldier of fortune somewhere out in deep space. Gotta think positive about these things.
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby spacemonkey » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:22 pm

That's really nice piece of short fiction, Atavism.
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby gusindor » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:32 pm

This is the best response to spam I have ever seen. And a really good story on top of that!
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Atavism » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:18 am

Atavism
Mod Team

Postby charonlarp » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:40 pm

I just read this. And I.. I am rather impressed. I need more of this story. MOAR! Pleeeeaaaassseee?
charonlarp
Young Gun

Next

Return to Mobile Frame Fan Fiction