[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mobile Frame Hangar • View topic - OMNI Lore

OMNI Lore

Post your MFZ-inspired fiction and artwork for others to admire
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All your posts should reflect this

OMNI Lore

Postby eduty » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:35 am

I began making Frames with a bit of back story. They were never fully thought out, and the more I played with the LDD, the more I thought about how bricks fit together and less about why the Frames look the way they do.

Where is it from? Who built it? Who uses it?

I could try to answer, but it wouldn't be nearly as cool as what the community can imagine.

So, have at it. Are all the OMNIs built in one place, or are they divided among factions? Solar Union or Free Colonies? Built for war? Built for labor?

You tell me.

eduty
Talkative

Re: OMNI Lore

Postby gusindor » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:11 pm

Given that they all have some design elements in common, it would make sense that they're all based on the same design, although some might have been reverse-engineered. I'm not sure whether their origin was SU, FC, a private corporation (OMNI lends itself to that) or something else. But I have some ideas for how they relate to each other.

The Angel looks like either a Chub that was badly damaged and repaired with Betty limbs, or a prototype built to test out the new limb designs on a standard Chub body.

The Falling Angel could easily be a "super" Betty, but I kinda prefer the idea that the big one came first, proved expensive and unwieldy, and was streamlined into the smaller version.

The Hellcat looks like an evolution of the Rosie, probably by a different manufacturer but following the same principles.

The Rosie looks more like a labor or sport frame, while the others seem more military. I could also see the Hellcat as a racer.

The Betty Boom looks like a different group from the original manufacturer either stole or bought a Falling Angel and didn't like the paint job.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby eduty » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:54 pm

eduty
Talkative

Postby eduty » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:02 pm

So you want to hear a story, eh? A story about mobile frames, rebellion, and management incompetence. No?

Well too bad, I'm telling you anyway.

This is the story of OMNI Mobile Frames. A company whose product became marketable only after the business had gone kaput.

It all began in Solar Calendar 0232, with a brilliant, yet stupid, engineer at a Jovian manufacturing facility.

He was brilliant for his idea. An idea to create a new standard in mobile frame manufacturing. The General standard, from which a frame could be constructed from inexpensive, modular, and easily manufactured components.

He was stupid for sharing this idea with his boss, who stole it, renamed it the "G" standard, and started OMNI Mobile Frames.

After 9 years of middling success in the labor frame market and countless failed bids for Terran Transit Authority contracts, OMNI was broke. It had come late to a saturated market, over produced, and went out of business with billions of unassembled frames on its shelves.

What could be sold went for next to nothing at auction, and the rest was shipped out as garbage.

But, one man's garbage is another man's way to thwart authority. The Solar Union was cracking down on colonial radicals and keeping a close eye on ST frames and systems. But, nobody thought twice about a bunch of discount OMNI crap.

G standard parts were easy to repair, reproduce, modify, and cheap. Anyone with half a brain could buy a muscle cylinder here, a fuel cell there, and build a war machine in the comfort of his own living room.

Just a few years after the company's demise, there's a thriving OMNI after market, bigger than the before market had ever been. People are always hacking, modding, and coming up with new frames built out of old and reproduced OMF G standard parts.

Nobody even remembers what the original OMNI frames look like, but you can spot the new ones just about everywhere: being smuggled across the galaxy in pieces, coming out of a pirate ship's frame catapult, and shooting at Solar Union soldiers in wars of sedition.

And so that's the story of how an unheard of mobile frame manufacturer found a market after it went out of business.
eduty
Talkative

Postby Dukayn » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:33 am

Great little back story mate. I can so imagine this being narrated by James Earl Jones or someone like that in a documentary :-)
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby eduty » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:17 am

Thanks. I'd recently started a new Borderlands 2 game for giggles and got the inspiration from Marcus's intro.

On a side note, I'd swap vocal chords with James Earl Jones in a heart beat, right ahead of Patrick Stewart and Jason Statham.
eduty
Talkative

Postby Red_Robot » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:21 am

First of all, it was very generous of you to offer up these excellent frames to inspire some community lore. And then the story you came up with as the legacy of a failed corporation becoming the grist for garage kit revolutions is wonderful. It lets these awesome frames fall into the hands of would-be freedom fighters, frame gangs, criminal syndicates, or simple kit-bash enthusiasts. Heck...maybe even the local UMFL who might have a stockpile of these parts in the local dump.

I love the thought of an after market culture springing up around these designs. It's not only great fluff, but gives us MoF0es an excuse to play with these neato frames.
When the Weepers first came through the gate, we didn't know why. We only knew that they were angry.
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Postby eduty » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:10 am

eduty
Talkative

Return to Mobile Frame Fan Fiction