[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mobile Frame Hangar • View topic - Help with 'no-no's

Help with 'no-no's

Post your MFZ-inspired fiction and artwork for others to admire
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All your posts should reflect this

Help with 'no-no's

Postby SciFiZombie » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:29 am

So, I've decided to start working on some back story for my dark little corner of the universe, but I have some questions. At this point they are primarily 'no-no' questions, as there seem to be quite a few 'no-no's

So I have compiled a small list of thematic elements that I would like to incorporate and I would like some feedback. Not so much artistic feedback, like 'oh, that's been done before' blah, blah, blah. But more, X is a no-no and this is Y.

So here is the list, please give a shout if you see a 'no-no':

1) indentured servitude, i.e. free trip and equipment in exchange for a labor contract.

2) corporate manipulation of the populous via 'narcotic' substances, or some kind of pharmaceuticals, i.e. 'stims'. This would be in addition to other forms of manipulation, such as legal and economic.

3) crime syndicates and all of the nastiness that goes along with them.

4) terrorists and of course the nastiness that goes with them.

I'm sure that some (if not all) of these questions have been asked before, but my searching, thus far, has been rather fruitless.

Thank you for your patience and your constructive comments
SciFiZombie
Young Gun

Re: Help with 'no-no's

Postby Zero Revenge » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:34 pm

Indentured Servitude outright is a no-no, as it's a little too close to slavery for the creator's wishes. A Gilded Age style of it is better, where the workers are all supplied by the Corporation, which just does what it can to keep workers indebted into the company. The corporation ferries you to the planet [for a price], you work for the corporation, but you pay rent to the corporation for living conditions, you buy food and supplies from the corporate-run stores, etc etc. So, yes, the workers do start indebted, but outright servitude however is frowned upon; that's pseudo-slavery, and is a HUGE no-no with one of the creators.

Manipulation of the populace through drugs may also be frowned upon. That is, like Soma of "Brave New World". If you want the Corporation to have control over the planet's Healthcare system? That's an entirely different and acceptable form of control. But drugging people to make them passive is probably too far.

Don't forget, corporations have alot of power in the Solar Union, but the Transit Authority does oversee them. (Although how much is a question) Should enough of a stink be made to the Authority (or the S.U.'s Special Prosecutors), then the hammer is coming down on the Corporation.

Crime Syndicates & Terrorism are acceptable. Both are major aspects of a "Free Colony" organization. Remember, "one man's rebel is another's freedom-fighter".

Again, I can't speak for Joshua and Soren, but I hope i'm close enough to their line of thought.
Self-appointed lore buff.
http://mfzarcadia.wordpress.com/ - Keep up to date on the War for Arcadia
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran

Postby SciFiZombie » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:31 am

SciFiZombie
Young Gun

Postby Zero Revenge » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:46 pm

Last edited by Zero Revenge on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Self-appointed lore buff.
http://mfzarcadia.wordpress.com/ - Keep up to date on the War for Arcadia
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran

Postby mraichelson » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:01 pm

(Edit: yeah, this was exactly the same discussion as the link right above here.)

I'm pretty sure indentured servitude/slavery has been discussed as being bad-place-don't-go-thereTM on here a few times before. One of the "somewhat more tolerable but equally hutched" situations that's been discussed a few times before is also the idea of signing on to work for a company that pays in their own currency.

You work for Conglom-o-corp and get paid in Conglom-o-bucks which you can use at the Conglom-o-corp company-run markets, stores, services, utilities (and probably almost everything local would end up based on Conglom-o-bucks). But if you want off the planet you need SU credits to buy a ticket for the trip and there's no official exchange mechanism for trading Conglom-o-bucks to credits. So good luck leaving to find a new job that's not under Conglom-o-corp's thumb.
I put together frame building kits (and links to folks selling companies) at .
mraichelson
Grizzled Veteran

Postby SciFiZombie » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:28 pm

SciFiZombie
Young Gun

Postby SciFiZombie » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:56 pm

SciFiZombie
Young Gun

Postby mraichelson » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:58 pm

mraichelson
Grizzled Veteran

Postby SciFiZombie » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:34 pm

SciFiZombie
Young Gun

Postby Soren » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:34 pm

I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the .
See more stuff I've made: |
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby SciFiZombie » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:27 pm

SciFiZombie
Young Gun

Postby mraichelson » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:20 am

mraichelson
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Soren » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:14 am

I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the .
See more stuff I've made: |
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby SciFiZombie » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:50 pm

SciFiZombie
Young Gun

Return to Mobile Frame Fan Fiction