[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mobile Frame Hangar • View topic - Ain't no rest for the wicked

Ain't no rest for the wicked

Post your MFZ-inspired fiction and artwork for others to admire
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All your posts should reflect this

Ain't no rest for the wicked

Postby M3tschenniy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:13 am

Planet Hylotl
Serenity Valley
16:07 Local Time

This was one of those days during which Alexey was grateful for sound filters. The kakophony of explosions surrounding him might have become unbearable without them. The impact of a heavy shell blew chunks out of the unfortunate rock he chose to hide behind. Alexey peeked out and spotted a Conscript with some sort of recoilless rifle perched some 100 meters away from him. His targeting computer gave a happy "Blip", signalling the lock on. The servos in his DBE-03's arms hummed, aligning the barrel of his gun with the enemy frame. Alex pulled the trigger-just over a millisecond too late, as the frame lunged into cover. Still, the volley had it's impact: When the Conscript resurfaced a few seconds later his canopy was dented and cracked and another shot from one of Alex' men put an end to his existence.
"Captain, with all due respect, we're so boned!" Zer0's voice sonded constipated. "They have 20 frames at our entry alone, they pretty much have us locked down"
"Stop panicking, Zer0. They already have lost six. We have none."
"It's a matter of bloody time, Captain! Speaking of time, where's the hutching cavallry?"
"Zer0, I don't know whether you slept through the last 50 or so mission briefings, but we ARE the cavallry." Despite the chaos surrounding them Bullseye was as calm as always. His words were followed by a loud "Fhooosh" and a bolt of blue energy which punched right through the hip section of an advancing High-Leg, separating the torso from the legs. Alex sent another volley towards the torso, which blew up spectaculary.
"Are we now? Well, it sure thing doesn't feel like it" Zer0's frame lept out of cover, landing right in front of a very surprised Conscript. He didn't even have time to react as Zre0 stuck his gun right into his canopy and unloaded point blank.
"Zer0, get back into cover for slag's sake!"
"Oh, I am SORRY Captain, I thought if we are the cavallry then we should act like it."
"You are a hutching idiot, Zer0. I liked you better when you were still drinking."
"Not funny, Cap."
"Sorry to interrupt your squabbling boys, but there's another dozen of frames comig up to your left. I'm engaging."
"Dammit, Shiva, not alone! Titan, Thor Cover her!"
"Yessir"
Titan and Thor turned around in unison, Titan's gatling slowly spinning to life as he moved. Both unloaded in the general direction of the enemies, while Shiva darted forward, activating her Fusion Claws. Alex could only watch in awe as she cut down one, two three enemies... but the awe turned into horror when a shot hit her frame straight in the chest, throwing her back.
*****!* "Titan, advance, get her out of there! Zer0, cover my flank, I'm moving!"
"Roger!" Zer0 moved behind the same rock that Alex was perched behind just moments ago, while Alex' DBE sprinted towards Shivas fallen frame.
"Shiva! Come In! Shiva! Sam! Someone, respond goddammit!"
"Captain, this is Sam" The synthecised voice of Shivas Ijad Symbiont seemed void of any emotion, but Alex knew better. He was panicking. And he was panicking BADLY. "Mic is out of it. I think her helmet is broken from the impact. I don't know about the frame, but the damage seems minimal"
"Take control of her and move the hutching frame away from the fire! Titan, tangoes right!"
"Sir, I can't..."
"****. THIS. Sam! This isn't a time for ethical..."
"It's not the Ethics, Captain! It's hard enough for me to control her when she is awake and allows it, I don't think I can do it now!"
"Just try it!" Alex was next to Shivas frame now, spraying fire everywhere. Another "fhoosh" and blue bolt destroyed another Conscript, who had almost managed to sneak up on Titan.
"Captain, I'm almost out of ammo" Even now Bullseye was calm. "I won't be able to provide fire support any longer"
"Aknowledged, Bullseye. Just grab something and join in. Toss rocks at them, if you need to." Out of the corner of his eyes Alex saw Shivas frame slowly getting up and sluggishly limping away into cover. He singnalled Titan to move back and followed suit shortly. Back in cover he finally noticed how tense his arms got.
"Captain?" Sam was calmer again, or so it would seem "I will try and stimulate Mic, hopefully she will wake up soon. But I think she has at least a concussion."
"Thanks, Sam, keep me posted." Alex switched his intercom to the base channel: "Falcon 1, come in Falcon 1!"
"Here is Falcon 1. What is it, Raptor?"
"How are your boys holding up?"
"We're holed up, but they keep pushing. Mind telling us where all those bloody conscripts came from?"
"Hell if I know. Seems like Intelligence horqued up. Again."
"Well, gee. And here I was thinking it might be a tad hard not to notice a hundred hutching frames."
"Agreed. Able one, respond."
"Here Able one. Raptor, we are shaking but we are holding. Don't know for how long though"
"Valkyrie, here is Raptor. We're having some local colour happening, a grand entrance would not be amiss."
"Roger that, Raptor. Stand by for close air support."
"Vakyrie, do we have an ETA on the fleet?"
"Three Minutes, Raptor"
"It was two minutes half an hour ago!"
"Raptor, just hold on." The hum of the Valkyrie's engines came through the explosions and weapon sounds. And suddenly, like divine retribution, hundreds of Air-to-Ground rockets rained down on the advancing FC force. Alex switched back to the company channel
"Ladies and Menfolk, as you just witnessed we have an opening. Let's move up and retake the hutching ridge"
"A-effing-men, Cap. Come on, people, time for some thrilling heroics!"
Zer0 took aim at the closest opponent. The pilot seemed to be still disoriented from the bombardement and was completely at Zer0's mercy... and then a landing capsule came down from the sky, burying the frame beneath it. It was followed by another. And another. And a few dozen others.
"The fleet! The bleeping Fleet has arrived!"
A yellow light on Alex' control panel indicated an incoming message. He activated it and a calm, deep voice sounded:
"Captain Wolkov, this is Admiral Wilkins speaking. You and your men stand relieved, the UMFL will take care of business now. Get your people some rest. They deserve it"
"Thank you, Admiral. You heard the man, people! We're pulling out! Valkyrie, mind picking us up?"
"Aye, Raptor. see you soon."

SUS Valkyrie
Hylotl Orbit
21:15 local time

"You okay, Mic?"
Michelle Li, callsign Shiva, looked tired. The doctors have diagnosed her with a minor concussion, but she insisted on joining the debriefing despite that.
"Yeah, I'm okay. Sam says you yelled at him to get him moving?"
"It was a rather tense situation, Mic."
"It's okay. he told me to thank you for that. So thanks, I guess"
"You're welcome, Sam" Alex turned back towards the monitor. It flickered and the image of General Cobb, commander of the TEMC Special Operations Division appeared.
"Good Job today, folks. Sergeant Li, how's the head?"
"Hurting, but not much, thank you General"
Cobb nodded. "You're gonna need it soon enough. There has been some Issue on Gran. We are unable to contact the local UMFL headquarters. Might be an insurgency."
"I guess there ain't no rest for the wicked" sighed Alexey
"Right you are, Captain. Now, the details..."
TO BE CONTINUED (Maybe. Probably)
"Let's just all remember that we are adults and have a constructive discussion here before I blow your frame to kingdom come" - Alexey "Raptor" Wolkow
M3tschenniy
Chatty

Re: Ain't no rest for the wicked

Postby Dukayn » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:36 pm

Dukayn
Mod Team

Return to Mobile Frame Fan Fiction