Art of the Frame (redux)

Post your MFZ-inspired fiction and artwork for others to admire
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All your posts should reflect this

Art of the Frame (redux)

Postby Ryujin » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:54 pm

The title of Vandrid's thread was pretty snappy, so I thought I'd appropriate it for this one.

The production of the MFZ rulebook generated a number of unused art assets, as well as concept designs, rough sketches and other miscellania. I'll present some of them here.

Here we have 'clean' lineart of the Hi-Leg, minus the pilot. The pilot's seating posture was based on that of Sperry ball turret gunners on B-17 & B-24 bombers.

The Commissar, minus the backpack, which turns it into the Conscript. Or, more like the other way around as, iirc, Soren created the Conscript first. The backpack is, to quote, "a big radome. It's full of sensor and communication stuff."

These are .png's with transparent backgrounds, so you guys can have some fun slapping colour schemes on them with the appropriate image-editing programs via layering.

More later.
Ryujin
Chatty

Re: Art of the Frame (redux)

Postby zeekhotep » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:51 pm

Thanks! That is pretty cool.
zeekhotep
Talkative

Postby Ryujin » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:37 am

Okey-doke, continuing onwards.

Lineart of Foss's customized Osprey, as seen in the hangar illustration. For the stock model, the torso got a big design revision after Joshua felt it was a bit too AT-ATish (which it was).

Moving back to the Commissar, here are the original rough concepts:

Funny thing is, I didn't know at first that the Commissar was supposed to be a civilian frame converted to combat use, hence all the sloped armour, militaristic lines and MADOX-01-ish appearance.

Afterwards, Joshua chose & modified concept #6, and that was that.

(Joshua's on the right)
Ryujin
Chatty

Postby Dukayn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:49 am

Ooh I like the sleeker looking Commissar/Conscript concepts. Like a racing frame variant or something :)
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby spacemonkey » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:48 am

Very nice. Love seeing all the behind the scenes concept stuff that goes into the artwork and I look forward to trying out some frame color schemes with those .png files. :D
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby milt69466 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:18 pm

I like concept 11. There's something about it that I like very much. Maybe it's the slit in the cockpit
banner by milt69466, on Flickr
我们是红色团体,争取桃子!
milt69466
Been Around The Block

Postby Zero Revenge » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:14 pm

These are amazing. I love seeing the evolution of your work.

And I really enjoy the Osprey & its Space-Not-M16. :P
Self-appointed lore buff.
http://mfzarcadia.wordpress.com/ - Keep up to date on the War for Arcadia
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Thaddeus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:12 pm

Concept 9 is awesome! What program did you use to make this stuff?
Thaddeus
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ryujin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:54 am

Thankee.

Chub concept designs were pretty straightforward. The convo basically went "keep in mind the Fatty from VOTOMS, I guess."
Concept #1 got selected, but with a rounder torso.

The Hi-Leg came out pretty spot-on at the start, as well. Note that, at this point, there's no distinct 'thigh' section. The legs just connected directly to the hip section via a big cylindrical joint.
The cockpit hatch also had more angular lines, to add to the Joe Johnston-esque look.

Thaddeus wrote:Concept 9 is awesome! What program did you use to make this stuff?

Nothing special. Everything was done with Photoshop and a mouse.
Ryujin
Chatty

Postby Ryujin » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:06 am

With the interest in Scramblers recently, here are the original concept designs:

In hindsight, perhaps I shouldn't have stuck too close to the actual Lego model.

We decided on a design aesthetic echoing that of the Soviet T-72 MBT, hence the mushroom instead of a dome and details like the raised ribs on the leg armor (as with T-72 track guards).

The rollerball feet & additional point of articulation came a couple of months later, after a suggestion in another thread.

In-universe, the Scrambler design has a very 'human' look to it, a result of the Ijad's initial lack of familiarity with muscle cylinder technology and their adoption of SU manufacturing techniques with the help of human colonists. The Ijad were also initially under the impression that human design aesthetics made a significant contribution to the efficiency of said technology (sort of how the Soviets slavishly copied every detail of the Boeing B-29, down to the last misplaced rivet, after the end of the Great Patriotic War and calling it the Tupolev Tu-4).

Later on, with a growing mastery of the technologies involved, the Ijad evolved their own design philosophies of which the Suzerain is an early example.
Ryujin
Chatty

Postby A YATES INDUSTRIALS » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:07 pm

dude these are incredible :o
o)-<|:
A YATES INDUSTRIALS
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ryujin » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:26 am

A YATES INDUSTRIALS wrote:dude these are incredible :o

Thanks again.

Anyways, for those interested in downloading .PNG's of all the mecha & equipment lineart from the rulebook with transparent backgrounds, here's the Mediafire download link.

Meanwhile, the rough design for the McCoy support frame before I flip it over horizontally & turn it into clean lineart:

For the curious, here's the preliminary studies of the first two colour scenes:

From the start, the Chub was supposed to be Estar's customized one, with different armour & the head unit she jacked off a different model frame.

A whole lot of stuff accreted onto the second scene afterwards, with the Peach truck ending up mostly hidden.
Ryujin
Chatty

Postby aimforthetop » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:32 am

Nice to have a clear shot of the Momozono's mascot. Does she have a name?
aimforthetop
Been Around The Block

Postby Soren » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:15 am

I think it's worth noting that I barely needed to be involved at all in the concept stage for these. All the little flourishes and crunchy mechanical goodness that was added on is pure Richmont. It's great stuff.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Ryujin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:43 am

Soren wrote:I think it's worth noting that I barely needed to be involved at all in the concept stage for these. All the little flourishes and crunchy mechanical goodness that was added on is pure Richmont. It's great stuff.

Lol, I was actually kind of worried about your absence of comments.

aimforthetop wrote:Nice to have a clear shot of the Momozono's mascot. Does she have a name?

I REGRET NOTHING.

Anyways, more WIPs of the first two illustrations:

Joshua thought that Estar seemed too "GITTEM!" aggressive in the first pose, so we flipped her around to look like she was biding her time. He changed his mind, so we went back to the original pose.
The Commissar gets some urban camo, a shield & a single-shot rocket (the Pzfaust thingie on its left shoulder) in the process. Estar's weapon has a helical magazine based on the PP-19 Bizon.

Meanwhile, the scene with the Scrambler gets roughed out:
The box on the Hi-Leg's right 'antenna' was meant to represent the launcher for a single-shot rocket. The vertical plates on the Scrambler's stingbeam are radiator cooling fins.
Afterwards, a change of plans--Joshua sent me a map which more accurately represented the tactical situation in the short story.

Estar's Chub is conveniently just out-of-frame. ;)
Ryujin
Chatty

Postby Thaddeus » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:41 pm

Thanks so much! The wip's really help demonstrate how you drew them.
Thaddeus
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ryujin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:27 am

Thaddeus wrote:Thanks so much! The wip's really help demonstrate how you drew them.

Glad I could be of some help.

Taking a short detour here to elaborate on some things:

--The radar antennae were based on the Lichtenstein SN-2 radar array used on some WW2 night fighters.

--The multifaceted thingie stuck to the chaff dispenser's side is an IR jammer, based on the ALQ-144.

--It's mentioned that the 'Tickler' grenade launcher is fast to reload. Contrary to appearances, this is not a revolver-style weapon, but a stacked-projectile 'Metalstorm'-style weapon with electronic primer ignition. The trigger assembly is simply latched onto the ammo cylinder, which consists of seven tubes & does not rotate. Each tube holds three grenades, stacked on top of the other, for a full load of 21 grenades. Reloading consists of discarding the entire ammo cylinder & latching the trigger assembly onto a new cylinder.

--This pilot suit doodle came about when Joshua & I were discussing about other applications for Muscle Cylinder Fluid, such as G-Suits that, instead of pneumatic or hydraulic bladders, used woven fibres doped in MCF to provide the constricting effect while functioning as a mo-cap control system at the same time. Perhaps this'll get more development in a future RPG or something.
Ryujin
Chatty

Postby Thaddeus » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:54 am

Will the McCoy support frame lineart be available soon?

Or was it somewhere obvious and I missed it... :?
Thaddeus
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ryujin » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:13 pm

Thaddeus wrote:Will the McCoy support frame lineart be available soon?

Or was it somewhere obvious and I missed it... :?

Not yet. Some technical issues & unrelated stuff have been keeping me from working at it as much as I'd like.
Ryujin
Chatty

Postby MittenNinja » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:12 pm

Dude, I don't know how i missed this thread until now, but this is some awesome work! I love seeing the progress shots of this kind of stuff.
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Next

Return to Mobile Frame Fan Fiction