Mobile Frame Zero Wallpapers

Post your MFZ-inspired fiction and artwork for others to admire
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All your posts should reflect this

Mobile Frame Zero Wallpapers

Postby Dukayn » Sun May 06, 2012 11:24 am

Hey all, I've been having a lot of fun recently making renders out of LDraw files (as you probably noticed heh) so I decided to make a dedicated thread where they can be kept together.

So far I've just done the two of FerrelFerret's Daisuke and my ChickenHawk frames, but if anyone has any requests for frames they'd like to see rendered in high-definition then post here and I'll sort it out. If you want it in an action pose or whatever then say that as well, and also what kind of weaponry etc you'd want it in as I'll have to build those into the LDraw file as well as the frame. If there is no LDraw file for the frame already then I'll see if I can make one up; some of them may be beyond my skill levels in MLCad but I'm getting progressively better at it so I'm up for the challenge :)

As I do new ones I'll be adding them to this first post. For now, here are the two I've done so far 8-) Click the thumbnails to be directed to the 1920 x 1080 images.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by Dukayn on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:06 am, edited 22 times in total.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Re: Mobile Frame Zero Wallpapers

Postby The Trilobite » Sun May 06, 2012 12:37 pm

Supah sweet!
"What do you put on your head to see all this stuff?"
--Just one of many questions raised by Porcelain Llama Theater.

My Johari Window
The Trilobite
Grizzled Veteran

Postby randolph » Sun May 06, 2012 3:49 pm

Sweet, Dukayn! How are you doing non-orthogonal rotations in MLCAD? My version only lets me use rotation matrices, which seems kind of backward... (I mean, if I wanted to do trig, I wouldn't be using Computer Aided Drafting, now would I?)

Something about that pose/background, but that Daisuke looks like it's about to burst into a jazz routine.
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Dukayn » Sun May 06, 2012 5:44 pm

randolph wrote:Sweet, Dukayn! How are you doing non-orthogonal rotations in MLCAD?

For rotating whole sections like an arm or a leg or a foot, I go into the rotation point options and select a custom rotation point, and tick the boxes to allow on-screen change to the rotation point and to display the rotation point in the window. That gives you a little square point you can drag around the window with the mouse and that lets you do such things as put the rotation point right where the joint is, and thus you can rotate the whole limb or section around the tap, or clip or what have you.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby randolph » Sun May 06, 2012 6:27 pm

Dukayn wrote:For rotating whole sections like an arm or a leg or a foot, I go into the rotation point options and select a custom rotation point, and tick the boxes to allow on-screen change to the rotation point and to display the rotation point in the window. That gives you a little square point you can drag around the window with the mouse and that lets you do such things as put the rotation point right where the joint is, and thus you can rotate the whole limb or section around the tap, or clip or what have you.

Okay, that's awesome, and that'll let me do some things a bit easier, but without using rotation matrices, I'm still stuck rotating things in 90° increments. For example, if I were posing a ChickenHawk like your image in the OP, I'd have to 1) select the forearm + gun area, 2) right click and select "Enter Pos. + Rot...," 3) click "Use rotation matrix values," and type in a rotation matrix of the form [cos θ, sin θ, 0, -sin θ, cos θ, 0, 0, 0, 1].

The "Use rotation vector values" checkbox is permanently grayed out, taunting me with the simple field entry for "angle."
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Dukayn » Sun May 06, 2012 6:34 pm

You don't have the rotation buttons? Image\

Or the grid buttons? Image

I use those a lot, and the grid is customised as per the settings in this render guide.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby randolph » Sun May 06, 2012 7:35 pm

Dukayn wrote:You don't have the rotation buttons? Image
I do, but-
Dukayn wrote:Or the grid buttons? Image
Yes, but-
Dukayn wrote:I use those a lot, and the grid is customised as per the settings in this render guide.

Ohh! Yeah, I didn't realize I could change the minimum angle of rotation! Thanks!
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Dukayn » Sun May 06, 2012 7:58 pm

randolph wrote:Ohh! Yeah, I didn't realize I could change the minimum angle of rotation! Thanks!

Even without changing the angles, the fine grid is pretty good for small movements. Not quite as small as what I'm using though.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby The Trilobite » Mon May 07, 2012 2:57 am

Okay, I dunno if I told you there are awesome, but I'd like to tell you these are awesome because these are awesome. Therefore, allow me to say: these are awesome.

I like the smooth look, simple but dramatic color scheme, and single-frame-on-basic-background aesthetic.
"What do you put on your head to see all this stuff?"
--Just one of many questions raised by Porcelain Llama Theater.

My Johari Window
The Trilobite
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Dukayn » Mon May 07, 2012 3:02 am

The Trilobite wrote:and single-frame-on-basic-background aesthetic.

Yeah, I don't know how to get more advanced backgrounds out of POV-Ray, so that's what you get :) Glad you like it.

Have to admit I was kind hoping someone would have put up a request by now ;)
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Ced23Ric » Mon May 07, 2012 3:18 am

Okay. :D

Feel free to do one of mine. ;)
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby randolph » Mon May 07, 2012 3:58 am

Dukayn wrote:Have to admit I was kind hoping someone would have put up a request by now ;)

Well, I would have, except I haven't finished making LDD files for anything of mine that I really like :| Actually, I suddenly have an idea, let me get back to you...
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Dukayn » Mon May 07, 2012 4:34 am

Ced23Ric wrote:Okay. :D

Feel free to do one of mine. ;)

One of your frames was high on my list, I just have to make an LDraw file for it. At least I can have the LDD open at the same time and just copy it ;)
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Ced23Ric » Mon May 07, 2012 5:14 am

Dukayn wrote:One of your frames was high on my list, I just have to make an LDraw file for it. At least I can have the LDD open at the same time and just copy it ;)

Allow me to blow. YOUR. MIND.

File -> Export, select LDraw Format, receive bacon.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Dukayn » Mon May 07, 2012 6:03 am

Yeah I've done that before, and found the cheese wedges get rotated around and about half the pieces are just purely missing. It'd probably cut down on work but meh, I like building them from scratch, seeing how they're put together.

About to start on the arms of the Gadian and I'm surprised how detailed it is as at first glance it's a simple design :P
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Ced23Ric » Mon May 07, 2012 6:41 am

Heh. Yeah, the inner workings are a bit more complex than the outer shell tells. ;)
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Dukayn » Mon May 07, 2012 9:27 am

Gadian wallpaper has been added. Hope you like it Ced23Ric!
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby CrimsonKMR » Mon May 07, 2012 10:18 am

If I could figure out how to do one of my Jade Guardians in Lcad, I'd so ask for one of these XD
CrimsonKMR
Talkative

Postby Dukayn » Mon May 07, 2012 10:39 am

CrimsonKMR wrote:If I could figure out how to do one of my Jade Guardians in Lcad, I'd so ask for one of these XD

Well they are just modified Chubs, which I have an LDraw file for already, so all I really need to know is the breakdown of the weapons and equipment of whichever one you want me to do.

If you can provide that I can do the rest :)
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Ced23Ric » Mon May 07, 2012 10:45 am

Dukayn wrote:Gadian wallpaper has been added. Hope you like it Ced23Ric!

*has a new desktop background* :D
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Next

Return to Mobile Frame Fan Fiction