[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mobile Frame Hangar • View topic - Smartphone VR

Smartphone VR

Discuss things not related to MFZ - Keep it civil

Smartphone VR

Postby XGundam05 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:08 am

Anyone else get interested by Google Cardboard or Samsung's partnership with Oculus? Turns out, smartphone vr = not that hard :)

This is the prototype...I plan on making a much better headset soon. And even though the prototype is super hacky, the experience is still pretty impressive.

Using 2 Carson MG-55 magnifiers from Office Depot (~30mm diameter, 4.5x magnification = ~55mm focal length).

by , on Flickr
- "I will not die here / I still have too much to do / And too much ammo" ~ Zer0
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Smartphone VR

Postby XGundam05 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:34 am

Prototype V.2 is completed! Victory is MINE! (And, while I fully understand that I have a tendency to never complete a game project I start...asides from the rift game last year...I shall see about writing at least the cockpit bits of a sim >.>)

Note: it's designed explicitly around a Note 3, but I'll attach the SVG file I made for the parts here anyways if anyone wants it.
Attachments
Note 3 HMD.zip
(3.45 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
- "I will not die here / I still have too much to do / And too much ammo" ~ Zer0
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran

Postby XGundam05 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:35 pm

It's rather impressive how good this works. It actually works better than at least the DK1 Oculus.

1st project: 3D film viewer...for Pacific Rim mostly.
2nd project: VR mech cockpit
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran

Postby strikethrough » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:03 pm

This actually looks really amazing. Do you have a link to any specific software you need for this?

*Ka-Chunk* *Ka-Chunk*
strikethrough
Newcomer

Postby XGundam05 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:39 am

Any side-by-side stuff should work. Wound up just using MX Player to watch Pacific Rim (Half SBS, stretched to 32:9). There's some VR apps in the play store (see in link below).

Here's a link to my main source of info: . That and the Google Cardboard site.
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran

Postby strikethrough » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:40 am

How is it on the eyes? I can imagine the screen could get pretty harsh if the brightness is high...

*Ka-Chunk* *Ka-Chunk*
strikethrough
Newcomer

Postby XGundam05 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:14 pm

It's not bad at all, and with the increased resolution, it's actually easier on the eyes than the first Oculus Rift. (Don't have experience with the DK2, so I can't speak to it).
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran

Postby XGundam05 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:00 pm

Got a new, somewhat "slicker" design I'm going to put together this weekend. What'd be awesome would be to somehow integrate this into some MF0 cosplay >.> Note: angled sides (to make it hexagonal-ish in shape) are a pain...and thus this next one won't have them >.>

Also, IKEA boxes are wonderful for this sort of project :D
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran

Postby XGundam05 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:36 am

Two things:
1. For those interested, I will have lens holder designs for 30mm compound lens assemblies that can be 3d printed by middle of next week.

2. Even though your phone has a camera...trying to navigate whilst this thing is strapped to your face using the camera can have...not so good results :P
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran

Postby mraichelson » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:21 pm

I put together frame building kits (and links to folks selling companies) at .
mraichelson
Grizzled Veteran

Postby XGundam05 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:57 pm

So: I don't have the lens assembly designs done :oops:, and they probably won't be done this week (extremely busy lately).

@mraichelson, the iOS app store has several VR demos (from Durovis mainly), and if you encode video in side-by-side it doesn't matter what you use to play the video. Granted, the 4-series of iPhones might be a bit small. The 5 series should work fine, and the 6-plus (regardless of it's durability or low amount of RAM) should work fairly well due to it's optimal screen size.

In other news, it took me ~15 minutes to get a demo running with a static cockpit model and the Durovis Dive plugin for Unity. (The plugin has a few issues, but works for testing/proof-of-concept). I'd upload my screencap video, but for some reason the video is super jittery (the actual demo was not).

EDIT: It's made out of Legos and uses almost the exact same lenses I've been using :D
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Off Topic