Wombat APC

This forum is for any non-Frame, non-Alpha Bandit creations that will be rolling dice during play.

Wombat APC

Postby Artasid » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:01 am

The Wombat Armored Personnel Carrier has seen service for nearly 60 years. It has proven to be a reliable transport for infantry, supplies and official personnel. However, in the past, the Wombat was also a prime target when it was deploying troops onto the battlefield.
Once the enemy realized the Wombats were troop transports, they would often make surprise strikes against the hovercraft, in hopes of destroying it along with the infantry still in its compartments. Successful deployment of additional troops to the front line had dwindled to 30% and wartime commanders did not like these new statistics.
The original Wombats however were merely unarmed hovertrucks with adequate armor plates. Suggestions were made to improve the survivability of the vehicle, and thus increase successful troop deployment. Yet most suggestions were rejected due to the fact that most ideas focused on giving the Wombat an offensive weapon, and reducing it's overall infantry compartment size significantly to accommodate the weapon and its ammo.

Though one suggestion was approved: to include a single defensive machine gun turret to provide covering fire when unloading the infantry. Some commanders disregarded this suggestion because it too reduced the compartment size, but only by a mere 1/5th from its original capacity. Regardless, the design was approved and almost immediately the improved Wombat showed potential.
During the 2 week battle at the Gorgon Canyon, the improved Wombats were able to deploy their troops and even evacuate wounded personnel under the protection provided by the new machine gun turret.
Since the inclusion of the turret, with a 360 degree firing range, the successful troop deployment rate had improved to 85%.

ImageWombat Armored Personel Carrier
Wombat APC: d6B Defensive Machine Gun Turret, d6B Armored Plates, d6G LowGrav Hover Drive, d8G No Ranged Weaponry

I hope you enjoyed and as always, I eagerly await any and all comments you wish to share.
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Old Guard

Re: Wombat APC

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:26 pm

Nice APC, Artasid, love the turret!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Francisco Duarte » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:23 am

This one's really nice! I like the use of a machinegun as a blue system. That's inspired.

Could you also offer pictures from other angles. This vehicles looks really nice and I would like to see more.
Francisco Duarte
Talkative

Postby Artasid » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:12 pm

VitorFaria wrote:Nice APC, Artasid, love the turret!

Thank you VitorFaria,, the turret was a simple design that I also enjoy, so I'm glad you like it.

Francisco Duarte wrote:This one's really nice! I like the use of a machinegun as a blue system. That's inspired.

The idea of a blue system machine gun was sort of taken from an Anti-Missile System concept. Originally I thought of giving the Wombat an AMS, but it didn't seem to flow with the flavor of 'Providing covering fire when deploying troops' fluff I was going for.

Francisco Duarte wrote:...
Could you also offer pictures from other angles. This vehicles looks really nice and I would like to see more.

Certainly!!
ImageWombat Top
ImageWombat Right
ImageWombat Left
ImageWombat Rear

As a side note, the opening ramp doors are more for appearance rather than function, though they do swing up and down. And, as an added bonus, I'll include a LDD file if you or anyone else would be interested in making your own. Please also note that in the Digital Designer, I was not able to locate the rounded 2x1 plates that I used for the Wombats Hoverdrive system and ended up using some standard 2x1 plates. Feel free to customize however you wish
Wombat APC LDD

I hope this helps and if it does not, then please feel free to let me know and I will try to simplify things.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Artasid » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:27 am

Though the Wombat APC has shown moderate success with the addition of a defensive turret, there were still wartime commanders who insisted that the Wombat would be of better use on the battlefield if it had a more offensive punch. However, before the addition of the turret, it was argued that doing so would hamper the Wombats intended purpose as an Armored Personnel Carrier, and thus most offensive suggestions were ignored. But there were some commanders who refused to go unheeded and instead took it upon themselves to outfit a Wombat for limited combat operations:

ImageCombat Wombat APC
Combat Wombat: d6Ra d6Ra Missile Tubes, d6B Defensive Machine Gun Turret, d6B Armor Plates, d6G LowGrav Hover Drive

By relocating the defensive turret and severely reducing the Infantry compartment, this Wombat is hoped to serve as a light Troop Transport and Long Range Harasser on the battlefield. Fans of the previous improved Wombat feel this newest addition is an abomination to the intended role of the APC and thus far the new modification is met with criticism and controversy. Though it does show potential for limited combat, this prototype has not yet been field tested.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Artasid » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:27 pm

Only moderately satisfied with the inclusion of a long range weapon to the Wombat APC, insistent commanders commissioned a Wombat APC redesign to give it lasting combat prowess. Under the stress of the demands, the Wombat engineers have created another modified Wombat design which now focuses more on firepower than the conventional transport the Wombat is known for, essentially converting the unassuming APC into a troop transporting Tank.

ImageAttack Wombat APC
Attack Wombat: d6Rd d6Rd Top Cannon, d6B Defensive Machine Gun Turret, d6Y Headlights, d6G LowGrav Hover Drive

With this newest model in production, an all APC company had been created to make use of each ones customized roles: the Wombat Battle Company

ImageWombat APC Battle Company

Critics and controversy still linger over the newer Wombat designs, however, there are commanders who believe these modifications are an improvement.

I hope you enjoyed because I certainly had fun coming up with these different loadouts while trying to keep the familiar theme. Let me know what you think. As always, I eagerly await any and all comments you wish to share.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby KungFujiApple » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:18 am

These are really decent builds, love the turret design, and of course I love the backstory with it :)
- I am also on Flickr
KungFujiApple
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Vehicle Designs