Some Non-standard Units

This forum is for any non-Frame, non-Alpha Bandit creations that will be rolling dice during play.

Some Non-standard Units

Postby MoronicCinamun » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:39 am

A mix of vehicles (and powered-infantry) units. Feedback welcome and encouraged!
For more "fluff", see the respective flickr links.
protip: these were amongst my first "frames" built :lol:

A note on design: seeing as how the Frame is the bestest, badest fightin' machine, I decided to make all of these units have only 3 systems.

Wisp by MoronicCinamun, on Flickr
d6Rd d6Rd d6G d6Y

Brimstone by MoronicCinamun, on Flickr
d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra d6B

Slayers by MoronicCinamun, on Flickr
d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh d6B d8G
MoronicCinamun
Talkative

Re: Some Non-standard Units

Postby Foghammer » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:09 pm

Those Slayers have a great shape! I'd like to see more designs in that style, but they seem to be more like mini-frames or powered armor than "vehicles."
Foghammer
Old Guard

Postby aimforthetop » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:28 pm

Those Slayers do have cool 'ghostly' look in the white, or they even suggest some kinda battle-priest.
aimforthetop
Been Around The Block

Postby MoronicCinamun » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:17 pm

Thanks guys! I too think the Slayers are my favorite, but I never really thought of them as battle priests, more like very poorly-equipped militia XD.
Also, I did technically say in the OP that they are powered infantry, but I felt it fit better as a "non-standard unit" than a frame, hence a "vehicle".
MoronicCinamun
Talkative

UPDATES!

Postby MoronicCinamun » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:15 pm

I will first include 2 new "frames", and then the updates to the previous ones (mostly aesthetic but some system change)

The Zizz Car
(so named for being ripped from Zizzy's humvee)

Systems:
radar dish + signal booster d6Y d6Y
ablative plating d6B

Designed to fill gaps in a company that is weak on spotting, the Zizz Car is cheap and simple modification to a 4x4 combat utility vehicle.

Gunners

Systems:
autocannon x2 = each is d6Rd d6Ra , for total d6Rd d6Rd d6Ra d6Ra
bulwark d6B

Easily assembled from spare troops or even local militia to make up for a shortage of frames, the entrenched Gunners can hold a position with their cannons, which while not very strong are capable of hitting targets at a variety of ranges.
On the table top, distances are measured to and from the captain, while I usually just remove a gunner but let the gun lie around when one is lost.

Wisp MKII

Systems:
gattling cannon d6Rd d6Rd
targeting laser d6Y
vectored-thrust rear fin d6G

The Wisp continues to serve as an aerial scout, using maneuvering and a spotter to spot key targets, while sporting a mid-range gun for defense. It is however now a full-sledged flyer rather than just a hover patrol vehicle

Slayers MKII

(^slight corruption here oh well)

systems:
chainsword and thunder hammer d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh
ballistic shield d6B

Simple Powered suits paired with melee weapons can overwhelm a frame, as the pair of Slayers encircles and jumps, cleaves and smashes. For a company that wants a little more CQB power, these are a cheap solution.

Brimstone

Systems:
precision missile tubes d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra
overclocked engine d6G

Large missiles placed atop a lightly armored truck, with an upgraded engine to keep up with the weight of the launchers. A cheap solution for long-range firepower.
Last edited by MoronicCinamun on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
MoronicCinamun
Talkative

Postby Rasann » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:49 pm

I like those powered-infantry units, they definitely have that bulky infantry feel, and looks like they can actually take a hit or two from a frame - gives me ideas for powered-infantry units..... :D
Kasrite Combine - Ruling Faction of the world of Falasine
Falas Industries - Manufacturing Juggernaut of Falasine
Kalas R&D - Kalas' Premiere Frame Equipment research/manufacturing firm
Falasine
Rasann
Talkative

Postby MoronicCinamun » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:56 pm

Rasann wrote:I like those powered-infantry units, they definitely have that bulky infantry feel, and looks like they can actually take a hit or two from a frame - gives me ideas for powered-infantry units..... :D

Glad you like them, and that they inspire the feels I was aiming for.
The whole idea was inspired by what others had made/suggested on the topic of powered infantry, i.e. each suit is one d6W
Also, they are somewhat of an homage to, and certainly inspired by, Space Marine Terminators from WH40k :lol:
MoronicCinamun
Talkative

Postby gusindor » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:38 pm

All the units in the update could have one more system if they wanted. Not necessary, being a few systems short can even help in some cases, but I'd recommend filling out at least some of these. For example, consider putting the Slayers on top of rocks or bushes, to represent their ability to climb stuff and give them a d6G, I find those are helpful on melee fighters. And for the Gunners, maybe the captain's binoculars could be a d6Y?

Design wise, these are totally awesome and I want to make some infantry now.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby MusicalMethuselah » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:10 pm

Love the gunners' look. The bulwark feel is great.
MusicalMethuselah
Chatty

Postby MoronicCinamun » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:23 am

gusindor wrote:All the units in the update could have one more system if they wanted. Not necessary, being a few systems short can even help in some cases, but I'd recommend filling out at least some of these. For example, consider putting the Slayers on top of rocks or bushes, to represent their ability to climb stuff and give them a d6G, I find those are helpful on melee fighters. And for the Gunners, maybe the captain's binoculars could be a d6Y?

Design wise, these are totally awesome and I want to make some infantry now.

While I KNOW I can, the way do it (since I kind of have all the frames made cuz my gaming friends don't really have legos) is that while all the "true frames" are 4 systems, the non-standards are 3 systems; it's just a little choice I made so you can round out your companies with some support guys, plus if fits the fluff that the frame is the biggest badest fightin' machines 'round ;)

But thanks for the good input!
MoronicCinamun
Talkative

Postby MoronicCinamun » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:25 am

MusicalMethuselah wrote:Love the gunners' look. The bulwark feel is great.

Thanks! To be honest, I looked at it and wondered if it needed more "parts" for the wall, but it just felt so right as it was.
MoronicCinamun
Talkative

Return to Vehicle Designs