[Hellhounds] Armored Medical Truck (Tank?)

This forum is for any non-Frame, non-Alpha Bandit creations that will be rolling dice during play.

[Hellhounds] Armored Medical Truck (Tank?)

Postby Foghammer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:47 am

Mobile Frame Zero by Foghammer, on Flickr

I'm not completely thrilled with the front of the vehicle, what with the huge armor plate and fin thingies... Really, all I can say I like about the thing is the red cross side panels. I want to put tank treads on the thing, but I have yet to figure out how people make those or what the part name is if there is one, so for now it's a hover-tank. Any suggestions on how to make it a little more truck-like or more tank-like, either way, are welcome and solicited.
Foghammer
Old Guard

Re: [Hellhounds] Armored Medical Truck (Tank?)

Postby aimforthetop » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:13 pm

Foghammer wrote: I want to put tank treads on the thing, but I have yet to figure out how people make those or what the part name is if there is one, so for now it's a hover-tank. Any suggestions on how to make it a little more truck-like or more tank-like, either way, are welcome and solicited.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.as ... String=137
Technic liftarms have looked really good on old Mechaton-era vehicles, and I've built up a few simple tanks myself with them. I'd like something with a bit more detail alongside modern 75, 100, 120 part Frames, though. So, how can you add detail? Here's a way:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3711
I really like the look of these Technic chain links when used as treads. This very nice piece on Flickr shows how it's done. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dragon55/8477561806/
Alas, they are very expensive and so I'll probably never make a tank with these.
aimforthetop
Been Around The Block

Postby Foghammer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:31 pm

aimforthetop wrote:
Foghammer wrote: I want to put tank treads on the thing, but I have yet to figure out how people make those or what the part name is if there is one, so for now it's a hover-tank. Any suggestions on how to make it a little more truck-like or more tank-like, either way, are welcome and solicited.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3711
I really like the look of these Technic chain links when used as treads. This very nice piece on Flickr shows how it's done. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dragon55/8477561806/
Alas, they are very expensive and so I'll probably never make a tank with these.

THAT! Thank you! I can see what you mean about expensive, but I'm very detail oriented (even if my craft doesn't show it) so it's something I will definitely be investing in later.

$0.13 per link is pretty high, but this seller claims to have over 12,000 of them, so there's a supply...
Foghammer
Old Guard

Postby OrangeKNight » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:34 pm

Foghammer wrote:THAT! Thank you! I can see what you mean about expensive, but I'm very detail oriented (even if my craft doesn't show it) so it's something I will definitely be investing in later.

$0.13 per link is pretty high, but this seller claims to have over 12,000 of them, so there's a supply...

Don't get me started on the price for the track links, it's a frustration I'm all too familiar with!

There is also this setup as an option;
ImageImage
ImageImage

Mike
OrangeKNight
Talkative

Postby Foghammer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:02 pm

I'm digging that set up, OrangeKNight. Looks like you've made quite a few investments already! Looks like 13 links make a tread four studs in length... So it's gonna add up really fast. It'll be ~$3.50 after S&H for the tracks alone for this one model. :ugeek: Sacrifices will have to be made. I can go a couple of days without pizza and soda, right?
Foghammer
Old Guard

Postby Foghammer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:19 pm

ZING!

EDIT: It has been pointed out to me that this is not the same thing as the previously mentioned part. [insert sad face]
Foghammer
Old Guard

Postby NimbusAConflict » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:02 pm

Foghammer wrote:I'm digging that set up, OrangeKNight. Looks like you've made quite a few investments already! Looks like 13 links make a tread four studs in length... So it's gonna add up really fast. It'll be ~$3.50 after S&H for the tracks alone for this one model. :ugeek: Sacrifices will have to be made. I can go a couple of days without pizza and soda, right?

Ramen diet time!
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/
When the End of the World comes, I can assure you, I will be partying to hard to notice.
NimbusAConflict
Grizzled Veteran

Postby OrangeKNight » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:58 pm

Foghammer wrote:I'm digging that set up, OrangeKNight. Looks like you've made quite a few investments already! Looks like 13 links make a tread four studs in length... So it's gonna add up really fast. It'll be ~$3.50 after S&H for the tracks alone for this one model. :ugeek: Sacrifices will have to be made. I can go a couple of days without pizza and soda, right?

Yeah, Track links can get expensive, so I suggest that if possible, always get extra so that next time you want to build something with them you don't have to rip them off your prior creation.......unless you don't mind that kind of thing.

Mike
OrangeKNight
Talkative

Postby Soren » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:12 pm

I have a big bag of tread links - really, he's right, get a lot. You'll use them.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Return to Vehicle Designs