Current selection of "frames"

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Current selection of "frames"

Postby Stormchaser91 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:23 am

Greetings and salutations, all...!

been meaning to make a post like this for years, and I figured now'd be a good time. These are all the frames I currently have put together, totaling about 11 units:
There's four Chubs, an Osprey, a Scrambler, a First Eye, a Conscript, a Landscript, a High-Leg, and a little brown custom hexapedal frame I like to call "The Ant". That one's built (mostly) from parts of an old Star Wars spider droid set, with some accessories. Pretty much fits inside the standard 7p frame restrictions, too... all in all, I call the entire ragtag group of tablescrap frames "The Ebon Wings." The black chub in the back on the hoverstand is the Main/"Ace" frame, tbh. I may or may not post individual frames later, with tentative specs. Some of them were individually themed to some degree or other (the orange one was construction, for example, while the osprey was mostly police themed,) and I temporarily played with the idea of using certain recurring parts, or types of parts, to tie the team together as a whole. Originally, it was me trying to find reasons to throw a singular gem piece on just about any place I could, though it eventually turned into throwing plant bits on for a vague sort of overgrown/hidden-in-nature aesthetic... thus the big leaf on the osprey.

On another note, I've also taken to collecting lego sets that seem to me like they'll fit within the scale to some degree or other...
This has led me to grab a few fun polybags and allow them "cameos" as is. Surprisingly, the Bastion set is JUST within 7p restrictions; as long as you turn the chaingun on his back upside-down, and kinda tuck his arms behind his hips, you can just squeeze him within the vertical and horizontal limits, even with the bird ( d6Y ?) on his shoulder. Then there's the mini-metalbeard and the mini ninjago ice dragon... metalbeard's pretty much got 3-4 systems from the word go, depending on what you count as what. The dragon... definitely has room for modification and accessorization.

So, at the end of the day... I think I have enough frames to table at least one full team, depending on the players and game-size.
Stormchaser91
Newcomer

Re: Current selection of "frames"

Postby Stormchaser91 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:19 am

So! Here's the individual shots and rough speccing I mentioned before, as well as a new cameo from another set! Admittedly, they could do with a small change or two to make them more acceptable, but whatever. To kick things off, let's start with the cameos themselves before the main course of the customized frames!

First up is the newest addition: the miniaturized Samurai X mech from Ninjago! This one's definitely in scale, coming in smaller and narrower than the Bastion set.
tbh, I'm thinking this thing would be spec'd as follows:
2x d6Rh (sword) + d8Rh (claws(?))
d6B (shoulder armor+skirting? or the chestpiece, maybe...)
d6Y (flag)
d8G (no ranged weapons)
2x d8Rr (shoulder cannons)
2x d6W

Next is Omnic Crisis skin Bastion!
Image Image
As you can see in the second image, and as per my previous comment on the figure, one can turn his back-mounted minigun upside down to get it to fit in the 10x10x12 box. Which reminds me... is that supposed to just be for the main body of the frame itself, or do all the weapons have to fit in the box as well? That question aside, there is a sort of method to transform him into a semi-turret mode, with instructions available to be found online, if one is of a mind to use it in a game. Anywho, here's how I'd spec him, assuming I'd be allowed to field the behemoth...
2x d6Rd (arm gun)
Either d8Rd or 2x d6Ra, depending on playstyle and how one counts the minigun
d6B (shoulder armor)
d6Y (the bird)
2x d6W
If one wanted to consider a d8Rr for him, one could make use of the stud launcher built into the gun-arm, or if one wanted to be a bit more crude and immature, you could use your imagination with the bird...

Up next is micro metalbeard! his face could be replaced with a les "human" minifig head, perhaps even one of the robot heads from the first movie, but whatever.
My spec plan is approximately as follows:
d6G (legs)
d6Y (flag-thing?)
2x d6Rh (sword)
Either d8Rh or d8Rr for the torch. Could be a melee flame weapon, or could be a one-shot molotov grenade thing. IDK.
d8G (no ranged weapons)
2x d6W

Right, our next contestant is the polybag version of one of ninjago's many dragon sets.
This one really hasn't got more than some melee potential rn, seeing as it's pretty basic right outta the bag. Nice pieces, tbh, but might mod it later.

Now for the main cast of the Ebon Wings!

First, here's my "construction" themed Chub. Pretty simple, tbh, except that I really had to improvise on the legs, given that I was short on viable and available pieces at the time of the build.
Image Image
Look at them stubby legs. How pitiful. Kinda gives 'im a short, squat, overburdened feel, I guess...
2x d6Rd (gun) (yes, that's a blast effect made with crystal pieces. It was color-appropriate, so I added it. I never expected to find "chi" crystal pieces in orange, until they released them in the fire vs ice arc. So, I tacked one on under the preexisting crystal shard, and boom.)
d6Y (antennas, folded in on the back)
d6G (some kind of jetpack, I guess? the things built around the engine part at the very back. two black studs, one trans orange, and one Lgrey 1x1 round tile.)
d6B (shield)
2x d8Rr (up top)
2x d6W

Up next, my hot, hot mess of a Suzerain. Looking back, I really don't know where I was going with the design. Admittedly, this one suffered heavily from my initial lack of available pieces. The heavy Travis brick count did the most damage, tbh. Also, the legs keep wanting to slide out and set the thing on its metaphorical backside.
Where to begin... oh, I think that thing between the back legs was either a sensor pack or a shield generator, so either d6B or d6Y there. Next, on the near side of the "head," I think I was going for a grappling hook or tow line for maneuverability... so maybe d6G ? Next, the "head"... either that was a 2x d6Rd weapon, or I was aiming to make a more "accurate" representation of the artwork in the book. There's definitely a sensor array on the back of the head, so a solid d6Y there. As for the mess on the other side of the head? Pretty sure that's 2x d8Rr (the cone-megaphone-chainsaw bits) on who-knows-what. Maybe a 2x d6Rd weapon, if the modified head wasn't meant to be one. Plus, of course, the standard 2x d6W , making it fully armed. I think I pressed forward on this one just to prove I could build something like the instructions showed, even with a lack of pieces, but who knows.

Next, "The Ant", made mostly from an old spider droid, plus other bits from other star wars sets of the time. And the stud launcher, too.
d6G (legs)
2x d6Rh (fangs) + d8Rh (stinger)
2x d6Rd (gun)
d8Rr (stud launcher)
2x d6W

Next, the Scrambler. Still a bit of a mess, but not as bad as the Suzerain.
Either this has two sensor pods (white, on either side,) that are paired -- but separate -- systems (2x d6Y ), or it's a single- d6Y system with two parts, and the legs count as a d6G . Either way works, depending on the setting. Honestly, it's been years since I built this, so I've forgotten the original intentions behind it.
2x d6Rd (stingbeam)
d6B (shield generator, between back legs.)
d8Rr
2x d6W

Next, the Osprey. This one was fun. Obviously, it's police themed. Dumb, yet strangely cohesive as a design.
Image Image
d6B (shield, from the roof of an old-ish police cruiser set)
2x d6Rd (gun)
d6Y (antennas on butt/back of hips)
d6G (i think that's called a skymover? IDK, it's the bit with the giant leaf and trans-purple cones. God, i love those pieces, for some reason. Lego doesn't use em too often.)
d8Rr
2x d6W

Now, for my mainly long-range Hi-Leg/High-Leg. Kind of ridiculous, tbh, as far as loadouts go. I think i was just trying to slap on as many weapons as possible with this one.
Image Image Image
2x d6Ra (RAILGUN!) + d8Ra (Sniper rifle)
2x d6Rd (gun on top of railgun)
d6Y (sniper scope)
d8Rr
2x d6W

Up next is the most table-scrappiest frame I've built yet. It was deliberately scraped together from a small number of sets purchased specifically for the challenge. These included a Princess Unikitty set (science lab, for those interested), one of those new racer sets, the recent Mos Eisley set... and maybe another I can't think of rn.
Image Image
2x d6Ra (improvised mini/tactical railgun... or a coilgun? idk, whatever's cooler.)
d6Ra + d6Rd (this one's a split-range, being a grenade launcher of sorts. or, so I was thinking.)
2x d6Rd (paired UN1C.0RN spikes on the back, shoot some kind of lazers.)
d6Y (golden bifurcated antenna thing on the head)
2x d6W
No d8Rr this time... didn't have the spare bits for one.

And now, the Conscript. I swear, this build is insane. It's both surprisingly stable and unstable, all because of those bloody ankles. It really wants to fall over, tbh, but it also just refuses to do so.
Image Image
2x d6Rd (old "micro-railgun" design I swear I saw on here ages ago... dunno who designed it, but credit to ya if ya recognize the design as yours.)
d6Ra + d6Rd (another grenade launcher, for that extra range option. idk if they're supposed to have that range, tbh, but it feels semi-appropriate?)
d6Y (antenna under the backpack unit)
d6Y or d6B (the white pods sticking off the backpack. Not sure which to keep them as, since they could be either.)
d8Rr ("antimatter" ssr, based on a long story involving shenanigans on a modded Minecraft server.)
2x d6W

Now for the Landscript. The theme for this one was a sort of "reclaimed" frame, stolen from a junkyard or impound lot for reasons. The chains were loosely inspired by a character from a game known as "risk of rain". Very fun, I suggest you try it. The frame's left gun was interesting, because I desperately wanted to find a use for the "drum" I accidentally threw together one day, likely based on something I saw elsewhere, using "illegal" building techniques. Also note the trans green plantlife/seaweed bit on the other weapon: that's actually how I imagine the weapon's projectiles to fly. Somewhere solidly between Darkseid's lazer vision, and your standard example of "roboteching". Also, stubby legs again.
Image Image Image Image
2x d6Rd + d8Rd (guns)
d6Y (sensor antennas)
almost wanna say those chains are melee, but they're really more for aesthetic, so... d6B for the bulbs under the leaf thing on the back.
d8Rr
2x d6W

Next to last, we have my original Ace of the team, a sorta tricked-out Chub.
Image Image
2x d6Rd + d8Rd (guns. one is another micro-railgun, and the bayonet on the other is cosmetic, I swear. I mean, it could be a d6Rd + d6Rh if needed...)
d6Y (sensor pod, left arm.)
d6G (paired skymovers, modified for the dual configuration this thing has.)
d8Rr (right arm.)
2x d6W

Finally, my current Ace. At least, until I theoretically get my Dark Nova Chubdam design bricked up... Nah, not likely.
Image Image
I went for a couple nods to FMA and FMA:B with this one, hence the grey lower left leg and mostly grey right arm, the latter of which can't be seen rn. That chestpiece came from what I'm pretty sure was an old Brickmaster set, from a really old version of the current Racers line. I absolutely adore that piece, hence why it's on my Ace.
2x d6Rh ("Frostbrenne," an Ender-powered fusion edge.)
2x d6Rd (gun, unnamed)
d6G (compressed flight system on back/behind head. it's the blue studs on the black clip plates with the trans-purple cones. Rather like a GN drive from Gundam OO, except I'd never heard of or seen anything gundam related at the time I built this thing. World's a funny place, eh?)
IDK if those shoulders were meant to be armored or not, but the pieces looked cool, so there they stay. Could be d6B if needed.
d8Rr ("red matter" ssr. Again, the same long story as the antimatter one above. I'll post a link down below, for those interested in said story. It's kinda funny to watch. To be fair, I'm not a part of it, I just like watching it again every once in a while.)
2x d6W

In case you haven't noticed, I have a tendency to use backwards fins on my ssrs. This is mostly due to one of the scenes in Attack of the Clones, on Geonosis, where theres this long tracking shot of a separatist/droid(?) missile flying off and blowing up a clone(?) ship, where the missile had backwards fins that popped out after launch. I thought it was so cool, and still do, so I use it.

The madness with red matter and antimatter in Minecraft, for those interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ohslGivm8
Stormchaser91
Newcomer

Postby Stormchaser91 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:30 am

quick note, the "antimatter" and "red matter" ssrs don't have special properties, i just call them that because of their colors, and it sounds cool.
Stormchaser91
Newcomer

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:31 pm

Nice collection of classics, Stormchaser91!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Arctic Banana » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:09 pm

Stormchaser91 wrote:The madness with red matter and antimatter in Minecraft, for those interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ohslGivm8

When you mentioned "antimatter", "red matter", and "Minecraft shenanigans", that is the exact incident I thought of.
Also, nice frames.
If playing Dungeons & Dragons has taught me one thing, it's that you should probably not trust someone who introduces themselves with the phrase "GREETINGS FELLOW MORTALS IT IS I."
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Postby KungFujiApple » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:19 am

Just wanted to say "Welcome! And thanks for sharing". It's really great that you decided to share your builds. You have some really nice designs. The Omnic Crisis and the Ant are among my favs. Please continue to build and share. We look forward to your next post :)
- KFA frame compilation
KungFujiApple
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Frame Designs