Kyutai-Ata Squad

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Kyutai-Ata Squad

Postby Arctic Banana » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:13 pm

So these guys are a variation of Atavism's variation of Artasid's Kyutai frames. They're a variation of a variation!

ImageFull Team with Chub for scale reference

ImageImage
ImageImage

No backstory or flavor text for these guys, sorry. Just a series of colorful multi-ped tanks whose pilots are probably tired of answering no, they don't combine into a larger robot. Also I forgot to put the SSRs on before taking the photos, so you'll just have to pretend.

ImageSupport Soldier
d6Rd d6Rd d6G d6Y d6Y d6W d6W (Snub-nose 88mm cannon, Quad mobility, Satellite uplink array)

ImageRecon-by-Fire
d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra d6Y d6Y d6W d6W d8Rr d8Rr (LRM pods, Radar and forward directional sensor antenna, 2 Single-shot rockets)

ImageCharger
d6Rd d6Rd d6Rh d6Rh d6B d6G d6W d6W (120mm MBT cannon, Pintle-mounted .50cal, Armor plating, Quad mobility)

ImageBrawler
d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh d6B d6Y d6W d6W d8G d8Rr (Dual forward-mounted .50cals, Armor plating, Sensors, No ranged weapons, Single-shot rocket)

ImageAnvil
d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B d6Y d6W d6W (Dual autocannons, Armor Plating, Radar)

ImageHammer
d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6B d6Y d6W d6W (76mm "17-pounder" tank cannon, Chobham armor, Radar)
If playing Dungeons & Dragons has taught me one thing, it's that you should probably not trust someone who introduces themselves with the phrase "GREETINGS FELLOW MORTALS IT IS I."
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Re: Kyutai-Ata Squad

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:17 pm

Love how each invokes a certain geometric shape with the different armor styles!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Arctic Banana » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:21 pm

Aaaaand I've already started upgrading them. The yellow one now has spaced armor to represent its second d6B .

ImageHammer mit Schurzen
If playing Dungeons & Dragons has taught me one thing, it's that you should probably not trust someone who introduces themselves with the phrase "GREETINGS FELLOW MORTALS IT IS I."
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Postby Arctic Banana » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:23 pm

VitorFaria wrote:Love how each invokes a certain geometric shape with the different armor styles!

A happy byproduct of a currently limited parts selection!
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Postby SamSam » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:37 pm

SamSam
Talkative

Postby Artasid » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:43 pm

SamSam wrote:Image

ok ok I'm looking at it.lol

Artic Banana, I have to say I am honored that you would make a full company of Kyutai-ata. Very rarely do others post a company of a frame I started. Of course I have to give credit to Atavism for his updated design which these builds of your definitely pay homage to.

And I have to mimic VitorFarias statement that each one has a unique shaping that gives each their own character and personality, never mind the fact that you stated it was with a limited parts collection. I am happy to see these here, and I hope to see more in the future.

Keep them coming! 8-)
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Arctic Banana » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:58 am

It's actually a little hard to stop making these. There's just something about the shape that really appeals to me.
Here's yet another one, bringing the company up to seven. The body is the same as the blue one, but I'm starting to need to get creative with the legs due to lack of parts. They're functional, but I'll come back to them later.

ImageImageDelegator
d6Ra d6Ra d6B d6Y d6Y d6W d6W (Petard mortar, Armor plating, Comm antenna and radar)
Last edited by Arctic Banana on Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Postby Blorf » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:47 am

Love a whole squad of quads.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Atavism » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:28 pm

I really like how the white recon-by-fire turned out. Those little structural changes really pop.
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Arctic Banana » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:03 pm

Atavism wrote:I really like how the white recon-by-fire turned out. Those little structural changes really pop.

Originally the two white ones were swapped. The tall one was the tank (inspired a little by the KV-2) and the short one carried the artillery, but something about them just didn't look quite right, so I switched them and they looked much better.
It's honestly hard to pick a personal favorite; they all wound up having so much character.
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Postby SamSam » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:43 pm

Red one is bestest
SamSam
Talkative

Postby Arctic Banana » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:59 pm

They just keep coming!

ImageImageTank
d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B d6B d6W d6W (88mm tank cannon, dual GAU Avenger anti-aircraft turret, Heavy armor and spaced armor plating)

I didn't really want to build another black and white one, but them's be what colors I had. I do like how it came out though. I went through so many different configurations with the spaced armor (vertical, horizontal, segmented...) before I settled on this look.

SamSam wrote:Red one is bestest

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
(Not that I disagree.)
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Postby Artasid » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:52 pm

Arctic Banana wrote:They just keep coming!

I didn't really want to build another black and white one, but them's be what colors I had. I do like how it came out though. I went through so many different configurations with the spaced armor (vertical, horizontal, segmented...) before I settled on this look.

Good! Keep 'em coming cuz I'm having the same issue NOT trying to build more. I love to see new variants and customizations that others think up. And don't get discouraged if you're forced to use a color scheme you've already used. We all have hit that point where we were forced to use whatever parts we had left in our collections. Heck, for nearly a month I was stuck using dark red and black parts. But I digress.
The legs in particular have caught my eye and I do hope to see more soon.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Arctic Banana » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:49 am

Artasid wrote:Keep 'em coming

Okay.

ImageImageSoldier
d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6Y d6G d6W d6W (88mm Tank cannon, Armor, Antenna, Quad mobility)

ImageImageBinary
d6Ra d6Ra d6B d6Y d6G d6W d6W (Heavy mass driver, Armor, Antenna, Quad Mobility)

ImageImageHeavy Kyutai
d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B d6G d6W d6W (Dual cannons, Heavy Armor, Quad mobility)
This last one is actually built using an original-style Kyutai core.
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Postby Arctic Banana » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:12 am

Here's how the Heavy's legs work, for the curious.
ImageHeavy Kyutai legs
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Postby Artasid » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:36 am

Artic Banana, I am simply floored with amazement. You keep making them better and better, plus those legs are a stroke of sheer genius. It eliminates the need for padlocks (Which I admit, I've been running low on since I've been making my own), though at the same time also allows for some customizations, like jumpjets on the ankles, or added armor ect.
Very nice job there! 8-)
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Arctic Banana » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:53 pm

ImageImageBrawler
d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh d6B d6B d6W d6W d8G (Big punchy fists, Armor and spite, no ranged weapons)
There's something about this one that just feels grumpy and angry to me, and it's not just the pose I put it in. Actually, seeing them both side by side in the picture below, they both look like a couple of grumpy old men.

These legs do make the Kyutai a bit taller than the original by 2 to 3 plates (the height of the Kyutai Sombrero), as demonstrated by the lovely Mr. Jameson here.
ImageModified Kyutai legs scale

Trivia: Notice that I always photograph Mr. Jameson from the same angle. That's to hide the fact that, because I only have three padlocks in my collection (for now), he actually only has three legs!
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Postby Arctic Banana » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:02 pm

ImageImageArtillerist
d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra d6B d6B d6W d6W (Dual quad missile launchers, Heavy armor)
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Postby Trokodile » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:36 am

Love those launchers on the Artillerist. Didn't know those connected like that!
As of August 30, 2019, I have 13 frames photographed that I haven't put here yet. They, as well as all my photographs, can be found at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1f1dlHOhWX4s6nfTW1FWh4Uqhoc6usAIG
Trokodile
Talkative

Postby KungFujiApple » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:07 am

Love this thread, it's a little treasure chest of great quad style builds. I think the only advice I'd have to give on these frames is something Artasid said...
Artasid wrote:Keep them coming! 8-)
- KFA frame compilation
KungFujiApple
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Frame Designs