Waylays

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Waylays

Postby Artasid » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:43 am

Some might consider the Waylay frame as a distant cousin to the popular Kibosh frame design, and this is not surprising considering the Waylays design roots are traced back to the original Kibosh. The Waylay was designed to be the first into new and possibly hostile territories to secure a foothold for colonizing new areas. They often carry backpack units that house a self-contained environmental systems which allows the pilot to operate the frame in various toxic environments until a decontaminating force is able to purify the atmosphere. These back units are also capable of supporting 1 additional system for the frame, such as a radio transceiver or a mounted weapon.
Waylay pilots are a special breed. They are the first into unknown areas and often the first to encounter any threats that may be lying in wait, whether it be inhospitable aliens, or hiding marauder pirates. Waylays train themselves to be reckless in danger. Because of this, they tend to be brazen and arrogant. Some might even say they have a death wish to charge so headstrong into the unknown, but Waylay pilots believe in the old adage: Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained.

ImageWaylays
LEFT: d6Rd d6Rd Combat Rifle, d6B Arm Shield, d6G Jump Pack
CENTER: d6Rd d6Rd Combat Rifle, d6B Arm Shield, d6Y Radio Transceiver
RIGHT: d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra RPG & Back Mounted Mortar, d6B Arm Shield

Hope you enjoyed. I eagerly await any and all comments, questions, ideas or suggestions you wish to share.
Last edited by Artasid on Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Waylays

Postby Aardvark17 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:27 am

These look really clean and nice! They remind me of Vitor's "Traveler Class Light Frame," and those guns are also really nice looking. All the stuff here looks great, actually! They have that clean and uncluttered look, with great systems too. I might have to build one of these :)
Aardvark17
Been Around The Block

Postby spacemonkey » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:35 pm

Wow, Astarid, these frames are sweet! I'm with Aardvark17 in that the build and the systems are slick and simple and you chose a great color scheme for them too!
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:15 pm

Those are some of the best builds you ever built, Artasid!

Elegant, simple, effective, but with a more than healthy dose of detail as well!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby SamSam » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:16 pm

This may be odd question, but can you take a picture wihtout thos shields? I cant see the robot to wll because they cover much up.
SamSam
Talkative

Postby Artasid » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:58 pm

Aardvark17 wrote:These look really clean and nice! They remind me of Vitor's "Traveler Class Light Frame," and those guns are also really nice looking. All the stuff here looks great, actually! They have that clean and uncluttered look, with great systems too.

spacemonkey wrote:Wow, Astarid, these frames are sweet! I'm with Aardvark17 in that the build and the systems are slick and simple and you chose a great color scheme for them too!

VitorFaria wrote:Those are some of the best builds you ever built, Artasid!

Elegant, simple, effective, but with a more than healthy dose of detail as well!

Wow :shock: Thank you all. I actually didn't think these would make an impact, but I'm glad I was wrong.

Aardvark17 wrote: I might have to build one of these :)

Please Do. I wholeheartedly wish to see if you come up with any alterations, improvements or just recreations. Here's an LDD file for anyone interested.

Waylay LDD

Please note that I actually have a 3mm shaft acting as a spine through the 2 travis, and the 2 pegs in the center (They're the kind with holes in them). I did this to help keep the build solid. Too many times I have had frames fall apart on me and this was a simple way to keep it together. However this is purely optional and not a requirement. I'm a little concerned that it uses 4 T-pieces and 2 Travis plus 3 of the older headlights (which are becoming harder to find I've noticed), which makes this a build that might be a bit on the costly side, but if you have the parts, then try it out.

SamSam wrote:This may be odd question, but can you take a picture wihtout thos shields? I cant see the robot to wll because they cover much up.

Yes, the guns and shields do cover a bit up on the frames and lets admit it, black is not the easiest color to photograph, but it is also one of the most common colors to find in mostly any piece you can use. However, I have built a systemless Waylay with lighter colors so you can better see how it's put together.

ImageSystemless Waylay
ImageSystemless Waylay 2
ImageWaylay Rear

I hope this helps and if it does not, then please inform me and I will try to make it easier. Hope you enjoy and many more comments, questions, suggestions are welcomed.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby KungFujiApple » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:49 pm

That's a real interesting way of using the T-piece as a shoulder joint. I really like how you connected the arms to it. I don't recall seeing that before.... I guess you could say "nothing ventured, nothing gained"? :lol: Nice design though :)
- I am also on Flickr
KungFujiApple
Grizzled Veteran

Postby CmdrRook » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:18 pm

I forgot I put a down payment on a few of these last year and got hit by a late fee for not picking them up on time. In short: I was waylaid by layaway Waylays.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Artasid » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:43 am

CmdrRook wrote:... In short: I was waylaid by layaway Waylays.

PRICELESS! I LOVE IT! ROFLMAO! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll have a talk with the supplier and have them do a refund for you as a thank you for your patience.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Artasid » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:42 am

Because most Waylay pilots tend to rush headfirst into combat without any regards to their own safety, the number of casualties have staggered into nearly unacceptable levels. As such, this discourages many in-training pilots away from Waylay frames, and thus lowers the overall number of Waylay pilots even further. To help counteract this effect, a Waylay Rear Support type is currently in trial. With the added protection from long range support, it is theorized that the number of casualties in the vanguard Waylays will decrease.

ImageWaylays Rear Support
LEFT: d6Rd d6Rd Combat Rifle, d6Y Radio Antenna, d6Y Targeting Array, d6G Jump Jets
RIGHT: d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra Extensive Long Range Missile Pods, d6Y Radio Antenna

I hope you enjoyed and as always, I eagerly await any and all comments you wish to share.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby SamSam » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:29 am

Sory for asking this but im wondering why you call them Waylays? any reason wy?
SamSam
Talkative

Postby Francisco Duarte » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:24 am

Lore.wise, are these frames worn, more than piloted? Like a power loader? I ask because they are really narrow compared to the Chub. No special reason, I only like to know the tech specs of mecha. ;)
Francisco Duarte
Chatty

Postby Artasid » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:54 am

SamSam wrote:Sory for asking this but im wondering why you call them Waylays? any reason wy?

Because they lead the way into unknown territories, lore wise anyway. If there were any threats or hostilities, they were responsible for 'Waylaying' it until the situation was either neutralized, or reinforcements arrived. Not sure if this is making any sense at the moment, but it's currently the best explination I have.

Francisco Duarte wrote:Lore.wise, are these frames worn, more than piloted? Like a power loader? I ask because they are really narrow compared to the Chub. No special reason, I only like to know the tech specs of mecha. ;)

When comparing the size to the Chub, yes the Waylays are smaller and lankier and most likely be the type that are worn. I would imagine the pilot controlling them similar like the Guymelef mecha from the Escaflowne anime. Where the motions of the pilot is mirrored by the machine.
But this is only my personal speculation of the builds themselves, and is in no way the solidified statement of others. Feel free to use whatever lore mechanic you feel is best for you.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:15 pm

Nice guns and missile pods, Artasid!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Return to Frame Designs