PF-8sT Wechuge

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

PF-8sT Wechuge

Postby phayze81 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:09 pm

ImagePF-8sT Wechuge by J Dennis, on Flickr

Long ago, the Imperial Aetheric Expeditionary Fleet made contact with their first (and so far only) intelligent non-human population. They were named "Venandi" by the ship's naturalist, who described them as "an uncommonly large and brutish race of vaguely man-like beasts, arranged in highly territorial matriarchal tribes." Nearly a century of oppression and exploitation followed before the Imperium declared the Venandi free and equal citizens, though even after several generations of trying it is still difficult for them to fully integrate into human society due to persistent prejudices and their significant biological differences - chief among them a lifespan that is only one fifth of the human average.

In the Goodfellow Cluster Venandi have always been free, as the FAE Council Charter demands a strict meritocracy, and most Venandi make up for the shortness of their lives with some combination of quick minds, clever hands and strong backs.

Seitte Tre is home to a significantly larger percentage of Venandi residents than most colonies in the Cluster, leading the local branch of Phayze Fructification, inc. to develop a mobile frame specifically suited to the preferences of their non-human pilots. The Wechuge features a Venandi-like sillhouette and boasts a spec-sheet comparable to PFi's very popular multi-purpose "Dweorh".

There are aliens in the Goodfellow Cluster!? I was surprised, too. ^^

I built a version of this frame that I was pretty happy with, put it on my shelf with the rest, and just sort of considered it every so often as I walked by. After a week or so, I decided that I hated it so I built v2 while staring at this: http://pin.it/JeLVhDQ, which got rebuilt, like, a thousand times both digitally and brickally. Honestly, I'm still not sure that I'm satisfied, but at some point you just have to cut these things loose.

Wechuge comes from a Native American myth regarding a cunning type of ogre-like creature that people turn into when they break taboos or become "too strong", which I think is an interesting reference to use for a frame meant for use by "beast men", as it's a friendly nod to their natural strength, but also kind of (unintentionally) racist at the same time. The social status of Venandi, even in the progressive meritocracy of the FAE, is complicated at best.
phayze81
Talkative

Re: PF-8sT Wechuge

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:46 pm

That's some seriously good use of color here! Nice balance with the greens and oranges!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:47 pm

You have a rather unique look there with the head and torso areas, especially how that eye piece sort of 'Pops' out the chest. At the same time I feel an Aztec Warrior vibe from this one, which might be explained by the color choices. All in all very well done!
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby phayze81 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:16 pm

Thanks, guys! I think the colors are probably my favorite part of this build, so I'm really glad that they work for you too. ^^
phayze81
Talkative

Postby KungFujiApple » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:38 am

The colors and the build are very cool. I also find it very cool that you introduce another species of intelligent life, the Venandi. This is a very interesting dynamic, especially because the frame is designed around them. Very nice work. I look forward to seeing more frames built to Venandi specifications :)
- I am also on Flickr
KungFujiApple
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Frame Designs