New Frames from Karla!

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

New Frames from Karla!

Postby Karoline Dianne » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:14 pm

It's been a while, but I recently got back into the swing of things! Having finally found people to play with and hopefully spread the hobby with, I've pulled out my box and started building again, and you could say things have been pretty productive! Let's go in order!

This tall boy is what I'm calling a 'Super Hi-Leg' for now. Essentially the same head assembly, but with much sturdier and more flexible legs. It's also a bit taller, towering over a Chub when standing up straight. I may work on the pelvis a bit more, as it's kinda blocky, but I'm pretty happy for the most part right now.

Taking heavy inspiration from VitorFarla's Classic Mod, I made one of these little guys, then couldn't stop making more. I got to 4 before I ran out of essential parts. I really love this little design. Aside from 2 Chubs and my Vulture, I haven't had any humanoid Frames to toy around with. These are easy to make, require relatively few parts, and are surprisingly articulate given their squad, blocky shape.

So Valtarshol showed me a little compilation of the 'average parts used in a Frame', and I had to see what I could throw together. I liked the result so much that I had to build it, tweaked a bit and improved from the original LDD file to include parts not in that particular limited set. This guy is tiny, and not all that poseable, but surprisingly sturdy given how many single-stud connections there are. No idea what to call it, but I'm definitely keeping it around.

What do you guys think? :D
-Sturdy. Robust. Reliable.-
==== MorningStar ====
Karoline Dianne
Talkative

Re: New Frames from Karla!

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:21 pm

Woah, Hangar Police is pleased!

So much great stuff is hard to know where to begin with.

First and foremost, nice to see you keep going with your trademark excellent infantry work!

Awesome to see your take on the Classic as well, old Mechaton stuff needs more love!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Karoline Dianne » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:08 am

After about 5 cycles of tinkering, the I decided the little red dude is best suited among my Centurions!

With a color swap and some revamped legs that are both more stable and (IMO) look a lot nicer, he fits right in among my little space marines. I figured he looked the part of a Dreadnought, or at least one of those slimmer pre-heresy ones. His backpack even matches theirs when you move it up a peg. I spent a while trying to figure out what systems he would have besides the obvious d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd from the two guns, but I finally settled on those nifty blue shields the marines are carrying. Ties them together pretty nicely, I think! I liked the idea of the larger hardsuit having a kind of kinetic barrier that protects it and allies behind it. Works extra well since it's simple to slap some trans-blue dishes on the arms, and the frame as a whole doesn't have much in the way for more complex attachments.

As soon as I get more bits in, I'm making another one!
==== MorningStar ====
Karoline Dianne
Talkative

Postby KungFujiApple » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:56 am

Nice! The old school design looks great, and I particularly like the unnamed pre-heresy dreadnought frame. It has a simple, sturdy, and cool design, plus he definitely fits along with the other little space marines. Hopefully you get some more pieces in soon. Looking forward to what comes next :)
KungFujiApple
Talkative

Postby Karoline Dianne » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:41 pm

Been some new additions to the Centurions!

The Space Knights finally have a proper mounted warrior! Or at the very least, a guy on a jetbike with guns on it!

My first attempt at a bike, kinda fragile and cobbled together, but it works I suppose.

I also got around to making another Primus, this time with actual hands! What's in the hands? Axes! Fusion axes!

I'm actually really happy with how they turned out, and now I have 7 units in this company! Woohoo!

In other news, the Classic-Mod Squad is up to 6 now! Huzzah!

Those two fusion axes were borrowed from the Centurions. I have some chainblades in the works that will replace them once I get the right colored bits in the mail. The guy in the back with the green arms is also waiting on more gray 1x1 cylinder bricks, I have 50 on the way. Everyone's got a shield and a sensor, too, so it's an entire army of Soldier configurations at different ranges. That could be interesting to play out.
==== MorningStar ====
Karoline Dianne
Talkative

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:33 am

Those just keep getting better and better, love the primus with hands!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Karoline Dianne » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:14 pm

The time has finally come.

Aeons ago, when I first came to this community, I cobbled together a frame design that I called the 'Battle Toad'. It was clunky, it was primitive, it was incredibly simple and made use of weird parts. But it was mine, and people liked it enough that I had a few borrow the design.

Now, a full 6 years later, I have more experience and more resources, and so I have set out to rebuild and redesign my own classic frame. My goal was to keep the same general aesthetic, the same silhouette, the same overall feel. Only, make it better. Make it more articulate. Make it more stable. I think I've finally succeeded.

Shown here is what I'm currently calling the Nu-Toad, alongside its obsolete counterpart. I didn't expect it to turn out this well, but here it is. It's the same Toad that's served me faithfully for years now, only it's grown stronger. While heavy on parts I normally ration rather conservatively, I was able to convert my entire Toad company into these updated versions.

They've never looked better.

For anyone curious, I've got a breakdown of the parts right here. Amusingly enough, it's only made out of 38 bits. Fewer if you don't count the tiles and shoulder clips. Unlike the original design, this one is ripe for customizing with extra armor designs and other attachments.

So have at it! Morningstar Industries' beloved, iconic Ground Assault Unit has returned, better than ever!
==== MorningStar ====
Karoline Dianne
Talkative

Postby Artasid » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:04 pm

The cuteness of the Battle Toads and the Nu-Toads demand attention! With such simple parts, it's a great little starter frame for beginners. I'll have to build a whole bunch for give-aways at demos. Thank you for sharing! 8-)
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Chromeknight » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:31 am

image.jpeg

Ribbit! Zap!
Chromeknight
Newcomer

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:30 am

The nu-toad is an excellent design all around, could see myself fielding a bunch of those!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Karoline Dianne » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Some new additions to the family!

A 5th Nu-Toad joints the Toad Patrol! This one's got a flamethrower!

My old Vulture has been refitted back to its original job as a construction and excavation Frame! We require more minerals, after all!

A second Lockon joins the Crimson Talon squad!

And I made some 'Pilot Tokens' to represent Frames down to their last d6W . It can get hard to keep track of who's down to just one, especially on Frames without arms to pop off. These guys help with that.

And finally, a little bit of art. I decided to doodle up a reference of the Classic-Mod. Turns out it's super recognizable, and doesn't even look like a pile of lego bricks when drawn. I like it!

What do you guys think?
==== MorningStar ====
Karoline Dianne
Talkative

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:36 pm

Yay, Lockons! :D

I can't stress enough how this drawing is supperb! It's also a neat scale reference!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby KungFujiApple » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:54 am

Wow, we have some really nice designs going on here. Love the nu-toad, as well as chromeknights inspired take on it.
VitorFaria wrote:I can't stress enough how this drawing is supperb! It's also a neat scale reference!

Could not agree more
KungFujiApple
Talkative

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:51 am

Nu-Toad is now ready for some labor!

d6Rh d6Rh Crane
d6Y Search Lights
d6W d6W
d8G

ImageLabor Nu-Toad by Vitor Faria, no Flickr
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Karoline Dianne » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:42 pm

Looks amazing, Vitor! I'm glad everyone likes the Nu-Toad so much :D

Though a silly thing about making a labor/construction Nu-Toad is that all of Morningstar Industries' armless 'Ground Assault Unit' frame designs are specifically designed to be combat vehicles. So instead of taking a labor frame and re-purposing it for combat, you're taking a dedicated military machine and re-purposing it for labor. Something tells me there's a Morningstar representative having a fit over this.
==== MorningStar ====
Karoline Dianne
Talkative

Postby VitorFaria » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:54 pm

Karoline Dianne wrote:Looks amazing, Vitor! I'm glad everyone likes the Nu-Toad so much :D

Thank you for building it on the first place!

Karoline Dianne wrote:Though a silly thing about making a labor/construction Nu-Toad is that all of Morningstar Industries' armless 'Ground Assault Unit' frame designs are specifically designed to be combat vehicles. So instead of taking a labor frame and re-purposing it for combat, you're taking a dedicated military machine and re-purposing it for labor. Something tells me there's a Morningstar representative having a fit over this.

Converting a military mech into a labor one was actually a background thing in Gundam 8th MS Team that gave the inspiration to try this in the first place.
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:43 pm

Now something definitely combat oriented:

d6Rd d6Rd Shin Mounted Cannons
d6Y Communications and Radar Array
d6G Aerodynamic Control Surfaces
d6B Reinforced Leg Armor
d6W d6W
d8Rr d8Rr

ImageQuick Strike Nu-Toad by Vitor Faria, no Flickr

ImageQuick Strike Nu-Toad by Vitor Faria, no Flickr
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:41 pm

Very very nice VitorFaria. If you added arms to it, it'd look almost like a chibi Guardian, and I like that. I'll have to make one of my own now. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Raedien » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:50 pm

Keep it up! I really like how compact you keep things.
Raedien
Chatty

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:47 pm

New long range loadout!

d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra Long Range Missile Pods
d6G Muscle Cylinder Fluid Canisters
d6B Reinforced Leg Armor
d6W d6W

ImageFire Support Nu-Toad by Vitor Faria, no Flickr

ImageFire Support Nu-Toad by Vitor Faria, no Flickr
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Next

Return to Frame Designs