Vesopia Mechworks: VMX-04 Sutoraikā

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Vesopia Mechworks: VMX-04 Sutoraikā

Postby Ced23Ric » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:58 am

VMX-04 Sutoraikā

Background:

Vesopia Mechworks has a very extensive prototyping stage, where experimental designs are produced in lance-strength, and then, with house-internal troops (cross reference: VMA, Vesopia Mechworks Auxiliaries) for hire, sent out to support in-field under real-life combat situations. The newest additon, fresh out of the shops, is the VMX-04 Sutoraikā. Here, the hyrbidisation is taken even further. Based upon the reliable, if bulky SVM Serviceman 'Frame, the Sutoraikā sports the same widefield vision fom it's spacious cockpit, but, due to Ijad tenchology, on a much smaller 'Frame. Initial tests have shown that the VMX-04's lower tonnage allows for less internal support without sacrificing stability, with results in a better gear-to-structure weight ratio.

Built with modularity in mind, the Sutoraikā already has a solid selection of weapon and support systems available. The compact 'Frame helps with a small profile, while the angles and materials used obscure the sensor signature. Because of the prolonged exposure to Ijad technology, the VMX-04 might face problems on extended field missions, as his parts can be hard to come by. Alongside Ijad troops, the majority of the energy weaponry and power systems can be serviced without problems, but the converter and adapter system buried inside the 'Frame are still not simplified to a level that allows for unsupported use in the field. The conventional parts included in the 'Frame are also taken from the SVM 'Frame, so any readily available replacement parts outside of the system of Vesopia are unlikely to be found.

Preinstalled Systems:
As with most Ijad inspired designs, the Sutoraikā also sports a C3 Slave unit with slots to upgrade to a C3 Master unit aswell. Connectivity and communication are important to the Ijad, and this 'Frame design reflects that. The larger cockpit - compared to the first hybrid, the VMW-03 Gādian - allows for a different approach to data display. Doing away with all MFDs, the information is entirely integrated in the large windowpanes. In case of failure, two small back-up displays on the sides can be rerouted to show what the main screens would show. Integrated light dampening/augmenting, thermal sight and pseudo 3D pictograms turn the cockpit of the VMX-04 into an information center that might be harder to grasp at first.

To facilitate this, communication systems have been moved out of the displays and into a hypodermic attachment. Slid under the skin of the pilot, the implant detects pulses from the speech center and send impulses to the hearing center, announcing incoming messages, sending replies and opening/closing channels. This primitive neural implant is a far cry from a real integrated neural component, but as an experimental device, it does work. Current limitations in disturbence tolerance, subconscious triggering and false positives do not allow for a more sophisticated system.

Nevertheless, with the power couplings of the Ijad technology, and their energy weaponry combined with conventional armaments, the VMX-04 already sports able capabilites to engage in the battlefield of tomorrow. Modularity down to individual relays make sure that the 'Frame retains his ability to adapt.

Imagery:
L2R: Front, Side, Back, Angle

Technical Schematics
LDD File for the Kit | Variants Zip
NEW: Partslist!

Additional Systems:

Image Image Enhanced Armor Plating.
Replacing the Heat Sinks in the lower legs with ferro-fibrous armor and attaching durasteel-framed ferro-fibrous plates on the arms, the VMX-04 becomes more durable.

Image Image VRSS - Variable Range Sensor Suite.
Attached to the C3 Slave comes a sensor with mixed ranges, which can be further augmented with a direct-beam scanner, for precision rangefinding and triangulation.

Image MDTS - Multi-Directional Thruster System.
Commonly referred to as "jump jets", the MDTS allows the VMX-04 to reroute heat and power from the fusion reactor to jets, which then, assisted by the board computer, provide thrust to "jump" over/on obstacles and cross long distances with ease.

Weapon Systems

Image Image DSRR - Discardable Short Range Rockets
For self-defense purposes or to further augment the firepower of a given 'Frame, DSRR can be added to shoulder mounts, uAC10, shoulders, arms and other hardpoints.

Image Image MPML - Multi-Purpose Missile Launcher
The MPML fires a switch-guided missile that can track its target either based on own sensory or even C3 data, for indirect long range fire, or switch to SAM mode, to fire at airborne targets. Because the warhead does not arm below a certain range, midrange applications are next to null.

Image Image LRM5 - Long Range Missile Rack, 5 tubes.
The LRM5 is a simple, guided warhead, missile system, intended to lock onto a target and arch onto from above for indirect fire. The system can be fed C3 data, so it doesn't even need own target acquisition to fire accurately. The swarming properties of firing multiple small missiles over one big one results in more hits due to accuracy through volume.

Image Image PMD - Precision Mass Driver
Connected to the fusion core, this mass driver weapon accelerates a projectile within its coils to supersonic speed, causing it to inflict massive damage at range. Intending as a designated marksman rifle, the PMD is in between worlds, not for extreme ranges, where the charge detoriates, but still exceeding ranges of other systems, like the IPSP. Part of the principle is static charge in-flight, so the damage potential is lower close to the system. Pilots are reminded to stay at distance for optimal effects.

Image Image uAC10 - Ultra Autocannon/10
Expanding on the trusted technology of the autocannon - basically, a fast-firing large-bore cannon - the uAC10 is the "ultra" version of the same system, firing faster, at the expense of generating more heat.

Image Image IPSP - Inductive Plasma Spark Projector
Taking Ijad technology for long range weaponry, the IPSP basically generates a arc of energy between the electrodes at the tip of the weapon system, and then projects a directed bolt of superheated plasma through the energyfield, coating it in a mantle of energy to preserve it from dissipating too fast. The range is limited, but the speed and impact of the projectile make up for it.

Image Image FAFM - Fully Articulated & Formed Manipulators
Invented for the conventional VMW-02 Bullfrog 'Frame, the FAFM system was refined for use on the VMX-04 Sutoraikā. Be it finer usage, grabbing things too small for the rudimentary manipulators 'Frames normally have; or to rip off armor plates of hostiles - the FAFM twin system allows for versatile applications.

Image Image (each) / Twin use: Image Image Image CDPG - Contact Discharge Plasma Gauntlets
Charging up two containers with superheated plasma, these gauntlets release their payload upon contact with a surface. The tips claw into the material, and then, the energy is channeled through the center focussing ejector, causing severe destruction up close. Taken from mining operations, refined and augmented with Ijad technology, this weapon system can be used single or in pairs.

Loadouts (see here for reference)

Area Denial
d6Rd d6Rd d6Rd d6Rh d6B d6B d6W d6W

Artillerist
d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra d6B d6B d6W d6W

Brawler
d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh d6B d6B d8G d6W d6W

Closer
d6Rd d6Rd d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh d6B d6W d6W

Platform
d8Rr d8Rr d8Rr d6Ra d6Ra d6Ra d6Rd d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6W d6W

Sniper
d6Ra d6Ra d6Ra d6Rd d6B d6B d6W d6W

Soldier
d6Rd d6Rd d6Y d6B d6G d6W d6W

Spotter
d6Y d6Y d8G d6W d6W

Spotter, Armored & Armed
d8Rr d8Rr d8Rr d6Y d6Y d6B d8G d6W d6W

Stalker
d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra d6G d6W d6W

Tank
d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B d6B d6W d6W

Turret
d6Ra d6Rd d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6B d6W d6W
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Re: Vesopia Mechworks: VMX-04 Sutoraikā

Postby The Trilobite » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:34 am

More bastardization of human ingenuity by alien brain parasites and their lickspittles! The people of Vesopria cry out for liberation from their alien taskmasters!

Great designs. Love the black and white, and the weapon designs also look really good. Combined with what you've written, it shows an understanding and thought about the design philosophy behind this frame and Ijad frames as well. Nice woik!
"What do you put on your head to see all this stuff?"
--Just one of many questions raised by Porcelain Llama Theater.

My Johari Window
The Trilobite
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Dukayn » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:37 pm

This post is so full of awesome. Not just a single frame design, but all the variations and optional additions - it's just so cool.

Not sure about the given stats for the Plasma Gauntlets. 2 whole systems dedicated to HtH range give d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh , not d6Rh d6Rh d6Rh d6Rh

EDIT: You could also stat the uAC's as d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd as there are two dedicated systems easily visible in that design.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:25 pm

You might want to stat the PMD as d6Ra d6Ra d6Ra d6Rd to fit your description.
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Dukayn » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:14 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:You might want to stat the PMD as d6Ra d6Ra d6Ra d6Rd to fit your description.

That's a good point, actually. It's described as having more punch at long range, yet the dice say it is the same damage at each range.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Ced23Ric » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:45 am

Dukayn wrote:
Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:You might want to stat the PMD as d6Ra d6Ra d6Ra d6Rd to fit your description.

That's a good point, actually. It's described as having more punch at long range, yet the dice say it is the same damage at each range.

... not entirely true, gentlemen.
Ced23Ric wrote:[...] so the damage potential is lower close to the system. Pilots are reminded to stay at distance for optimal effects.

I have been thinking about this, the idea is, that the PMD works in the mid-range between Ra and Rd. You are insinuating that there is "factually" only long-range, short-range and melee. It's in the middle, somewhere there. The PMD is meant as a support system that can swing either way. With an LRM5 rack and a PMD, you get d6Ra d6Ra d6Ra d6Rd, with 2x uAC10, you get d6Ra d6Rd d6Rd d6Rd. My goal is to have weaponsystem that fill in the blanks, to be combined for split-range applications.

The PMD, fluff-wise, has no double die at any range to account for statistical approach to it's behaviour. Outside it's optimal range, it either hasn't charged enough or is losing energy due to flight. It's not the best weapon system for a dedicated sniper or soldier. But that is, in this case, intentional. It's a support weapon system, offering the footslugger some longer ranged abilities, or giving the marksman some direct-fire options.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Dukayn » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:55 am

Ah, so it's more like a Designated Marksman Rifle - it's got that extra range but really it's just an assault rifle with a larger scope and some "accurizing" characteristics :)

EDIT: From the looks of it you're counting both uACs as one system, correct? So the only way to get d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd on this 'frame would be to carry an IPSP as well?
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Ced23Ric » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:59 am

Dukayn wrote:Ah, so it's more like a Designated Marksman Rifle - it's got that extra range but really it's just an assault rifle with a larger scope and some "accurizing" characteristics :)

EDIT: From the looks of it you're counting both uACs as one system, correct? So the only way to get d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd on this 'frame would be to carry an IPSP as well?
Correct on both accounts.

I actually tried it out last night, and I can replicate all builds we brewed up over there, including the weapons platform. I had to build one more system, the LRM5 rack (added it above), but with all these things combined, I now have both a single and a double die system for Rd and Rh, and I have one split system for Ra/Rd, and two double die Ra's - so I can build them all individually, as needed.

PS: The weapons platform loadout looks terrifying!
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Dukayn » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:16 am

Ced23Ric wrote:PS: The weapons platform loadout looks terrifying!

Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Ced23Ric » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:46 am

Added screenies of all kinds of loadouts, stats, LDD files for the kit and all posted variants. :)
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Dukayn » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:30 am

Ced23Ric wrote:Area Denial
d6Rd d6Rd d6Rd d6Rh d6B d6B d6W d6W

This one is interesting. I see what you've done, in having the d6Rd d6Rd and d6Rh d6Rh systems made up of twin weapons, you can make a split system by having half of each. Not sure if I'd call it a true "split system" (unlike the PMD) weapon, but you have at least given it two half-systems which I guess works for the stats just as well.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Ced23Ric » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:38 am

Yupp, that was the idea for having twin systems that contribute only one die each - so I could mix them into a split-range combined system. I agree that is somewhat off the idea of a true split-range system, but it works for the purpose of displaying stuff. That is also the reason the uAC10s are so short. Initially, they were much longer. But I compacted them to emphasize the "half system" size.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Ced23Ric » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:36 am

Added a partslist link, in case someone's curious on what you need to build one entire kit of one 'Frame and all systems involved.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Ced23Ric » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:20 pm

Vesopia Mechworks just received a major part delivery from Vesopia Prime's steel plants, and fresh Ijad energy induction chambers have arrived aswell.

The current shortage of knee- and ankle joints, shoulder plates and housings for two PMD are putting fielding of the entire lance back a few weeks, but eventually, VMMC - Vesopia Mechworks Military Contracts - will be able to field an entire lance of VMX-04 with their entire fieldkit ready to take on any mission ever in the history of eternity and time. Oh yeah.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby randolph » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:33 pm

Awesome work, Ced23Ric! I especially like the claws :D

I think I figured out what the Light Bluish Gray Handle Mathingey, OMG I DUNNO is in your partslist: 92690
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Dukayn » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:16 pm

Yep it is. I have exactly one of these, lord knows where it came from.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Ced23Ric » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:39 am

randolph wrote:Awesome work, Ced23Ric! I especially like the claws :D

I think I figured out what the Light Bluish Gray Handle Mathingey, OMG I DUNNO is in your partslist: 92690

Yay for claws!
Dukayn wrote:Yep it is. I have exactly one of these, lord knows where it came from.

I have no clue, nor did the shop owner where I bought four of those. The only four he had. He was confused, didn't even know a price, so I got them for free. I felt like he never was the same again ...

Now I only need to order:
  • 48x Binoculars (black) (claws, hands and thrusters)
  • 4x Minifig Cape /w Stud (black) (MPML)
  • 4x Minifig Jetpack /w Stud (black) (MPML)
  • 19x Brick /w 1 stud (black) (DSRR & hose connectors @ arms)
  • 7x Brick /w 2 Studs (black) (hands)
  • 2x Brick /w 4 studs (black) (2/8 FAFM claws)
  • 15x Claws 1L (black) (ankle & hip joint)
  • 3x Screwdriver (black) (PMD charging handle)
  • 12x Box Wrench (black) (uAC10 charging handles / MPML grip)
  • 4x Slope 18 1x2x2/3 /w 4 Slots (black) (Heatsinks on top/back behind cockpit)
  • 4x 1x2 plate (black) (PMD compression chamber)
  • 8x 1x1 plate (white) (shoulders / LRM5 mount)
  • 28x 1x1 tile, flat, round (white) (armor, sealing, finishing, stuff)
  • 16x Minifig Cape /w Stud (white) (hip joint armor)
And I can field 4 'Frames with all options. :D
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Forged » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:58 am

In the original post, your Brawler has an extra system, I believe you gave it 1 extra defence by accident.
Forged
Talkative

Postby Ced23Ric » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:14 am

Forged wrote:In the original post, your Brawler has an extra system, I believe you gave it 1 extra defence by accident.
It was one extra d6G, removed it. Thanks for pointing it out! :)
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby randolph » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:09 pm

Ced23Ric wrote:
Dukayn wrote:Yep it is. I have exactly one of these, lord knows where it came from.

I have no clue, nor did the shop owner where I bought four of those. The only four he had. He was confused, didn't even know a price, so I got them for free. I felt like he never was the same again ...

92690 says it's from these sets and as gear in this one. I got mine from this.
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Next

Return to Frame Designs