Single Set Challenge: Mixels, Series 9

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Single Set Challenge: Mixels, Series 9

Postby darksyntax » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:09 pm

My Single Set Challenge builds from the Series 9 Mixels.

As these are the last Mixels, I set out with the goal of humanoid frames with systems from all sets even though some didn't look very promising (41575, 41576, 41579) and, as always, stations with parts permitting.

First is are the Trashoz

Left to right:
Goaltender 41572 d6W d6W d6Rd d6B
Shuai Jiao 41573 d6W d6W d6Rh d6Rh , d6Rh d6Rh d8G or d6Rd d6Rd
Mallard 41574 d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6Ra d6Ra

Thoughts:
I really wasn't looking forward to this tribe as they're all basically boxes and the joint options looked limited, but all of them turned out to be better than I expected.
41572 - The legs are kind of a cop out, but they work well enough in an SSC and have a good defensive look to them. The core and arms are super simple but very effective for the parts used and I think with better legs this could be a respectable non-SSC frame. The railgun is surprisingly effective too for such limited parts and again with a couple minor tweaks could be a good non-SSC weapon. I read somewhere (FB group?) that someone was using the fish as SSR's; I love that idea.
41573 - Very limited clips for hands meant I had to do these doublehands; the more I looked at them, the more I liked them though. Easily swap a hand for a simple minigun. A better core than I'd hoped, but not much in the way of systems options.
41574 - I really tried for a humanoid from this set, but it just wasn't in the pieces. Once I acquiesced, this chickenwalker took shape pretty quickly. The technic bits made for easy guns, but not much else for systems. The little energy crystal station was a nice bonus. TWO SHOVELS!! :D The ultimate d6Rh weapon!

Next up are the Nindjas.

Left to right:
Cobra 41575 d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d6B
Asp 41576 d6W d6W d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh d6B d6G d8G
Python 41577 d6W d6W d6Ra d6Ra d6B d6Y

Thoughts:
Lots of great pieces, but the Mixel builds themselves (a snake and a tripod) were challenging. None of the frames from this tribe are all that great, but they are quite serviceable. Many good parts leftover that if pooled should make a good station.
41575 - Not as bad a partslist as I feared. A little asymmetry in the mixel joints, but my tactic of embracing the gun-arm paid off again. Lots of good parts, but not great. Except for the orange 'gold ingots' and the 3x sais; I didn't use the sais here, but they're very useful not only by themselves but you can build some cool double-ended spears with them (eg stack sai-telescope-lightsaber handle-telescope-sai).
41576 - I was NOT going to make a tripod frame. The joints options were very limited, but the 4x lampholders came to the rescue. Not the best frame, but I do like the light and lithe look of it that makes the two katanas seem appropriate.
41577 - I was excited to work with this one from the look of the Mixel itself and the parts list, but once I cracked it open, it was pretty basic. Enough joints for a basic frame, but I struggled to use the rest of the parts list for something interesting.

And last are the Newsers.

Left to right:
Trebuchet 41578 d6W d6W d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra d6Y d6Y
Merlon 41579 d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d6B
Embrasure 41580 d6W d6W :roll:

Thoughts:
41578 - A rather simple collection of boxes, but I really like the overall shape. The missile pods were a bit of a cop out as I couldn't come up with anything else for weapons, but they're serviceable even though the back section is too big. One of my favorite SSC's that I think could really benefit from a better color scheme and a few non-SSC mod's.
41579 - The shoulder connection took longer to sort out that was really justified but I like the complete look of this one. It just feels done: shape, colors, size. I went through several iterations on the gun. None were perfect. This is the best one.
41580 - This was not an easy set to work with as I didn't want a quad. The legs were easy enough, but aren't my favorite. I do like the arms and the way the brackets cover the shoulder joint, but the overall torso is pretty terrible. I kinda gave up on this one and just let it be. They can't all be winners.

In closing...
It feels odd knowing that these are the last of the Mixels SSC's that I'll be doing. Nine series with three tribes each and three sets in each tribe is A LOT of sets. 81 if you were doing the math. I've SSC'd all but the Glowkies from Series 4 (I fell down my MMNEF rabbithole and just didn't SSC them). That's 78 frames. With the Mixels ending and not much in the way of small sets being revealed for 2017 yet, I don't see a lot of SSC fodder on the horizon. There will be the odd polybag (none will ever be as good as the Umbaran MHC), but I don't see at lot of "frame in a bag" sets in the near future. MFZ and Mixels were a pretty near perfect storm. A storm that I'll miss. The Pick-A-Model seems to still be a thing, at least for the near future so there's that, but even that may be coming to an end as opinions on the idea have been mixed and I haven't seen much in the way of advertising or solicitation for future offerings.

Anyway, I had fun and hopefully it was of value to others.

C&C solicited as always!
darksyntax
Mod Team

Re: Single Set Challenge: Mixels, Series 9

Postby EvilGod » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:30 pm

very nice as always!
i especially like the broad shoulders of the goaltender. i am not a big fan of the duck feet/clown shoes of the Mallard but i understand them from a SSC and stability point of view.

Your Nindjas SSCs are all looking good. and you are the next one, who didnt succumb to building a tripod from 41576 :lol:
EvilGod
Talkative

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:12 pm

As always, those are inspiring, really nice work!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby EvilGod » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:10 am

Seems your motto for the Newerz was stompy feet :lol:
i love the Trebuchet! i will try it in different colors

i presume sending a MFZ community loveletter for the Mixels to Lego wont help. They are/were just a great format. But i presume that kids would rather have Minifigs in small sets or less complicated and more action-figure-like models like Bionicle line.
EvilGod
Talkative

Postby Atavism » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:15 pm

Goaltender turned out great! Those big shoulders! Python was pretty nicely done too, and I'll need to remember those artillery systems on your Trebuchet. The Newser's color scheme turned out pretty wild. I really like the big black paneling over the bright stripes of color.
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Return to Frame Designs