Total War Appreciation Tour

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Total War Appreciation Tour

Postby Atavism » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:57 pm

I'd like to thank everyone again for their participation in the Non-Combat Frame Challenge. I hope it was fun, and I hope it inspired you to build something new! I just want everyone to know that you certainly inspired me with your great submissions. I tried to re-create what I thought was everyone's strongest submission, repurposed for war (with varying degrees of success and fidelity), plus a few extras when I really liked something.

Luke_BMM

What would be the best weapon for a frame swooping by on a steep downhill course? Plasma swords, obviously. Capable of decapitating an enemy frame and melting your way out of an avalanche. Presented here in Mountain Dew sponsorship colors.

Blorf

Blorf's "Farmhand" design always lent itself to warfare customization. With it's Tomahawk inspired shape (IMHO) it had obvious mounts for missile pods, while it's harvesting claw and weed sprayer attachments could be renamed without editing. I tried to take it in a different direction with some armsuit-style mini arms and a little sleeker, less industrial look.

Artasid

I really liked Artasid's turtle. The big articulated cargo cage looked like a set of giant robot hands closing up whatever was on top. The big broad cargo area on top could have lent itself to a lot of applications (mobile frame drone airport?), and I really couldn't get rid of it without undoing the entire build. So, I decided this is the sort of thing that could get commandeered for wartime purposes, ditching the cargo cage for some tiedowns and a safety rail.

Vitor Faria

Vitor's VTOL is a great idea I could really see in action, and had just enough Twank architecture that modifying it was already old-hat to me. The rotors attached to a x4 body already pushed the box, so I ditched the articulation for a boxier, less agile look and attached the legs to an upside-down MKIII Tank turret.

Shades_Corvid

Great frames like this almost led me to exlude construction frames from the contest as well, since they so easily lent themselves to wartime use, but I couldn't be such a killjoy. I'm glad I didn't. I really love the Rhino, and could see why Shades felt the need to include a bunch of disclaimers about wartime use. It just looked solid and a battering ram melee system is always appreciated. A little more front armor and some more agile legs was all this baby really needed.

Starflower

This design did such a good job conveying its purpose. It was instantly recognizable as both a tardigrade and a camper. Little details like the awning over the window and the sub legs really added a lot of mileage to an otherwise blocky core. What to do with a frame meant to survive a variety of environments? Just keep armoring it, of course.

EvilGod

WHO WANTS TO DRINK FROM THE FIRE HOSE! Why not go with opposite day? A hose, a nozzle, and a tank in the back could just as easily hold exotic plasma fuel as it could H20. EvilGod's simple frame offered surprisingly little room for compromise due to the lack of attachment points on the "mailbox" piece. I wouldn't have thought of using the handle-plate pieces to make space like this, and I'll have to remember the trick in the future.

Soriansj

"The Question is not if I Can, but Only who will rise to Oppose ME!" Wreck-it-Rob had a lot of good details going for it. The crushing, steam-shovel inspired claw one one side, the wrecking ball on the other. I really loved the canister head (a style that doesn't get enough use), even though I ended up ditching it for a stag-beetle look when I needed more room for the comically oversized shoulder armor. I tried to preserve the basic ideas in the armaments, going with a Skrob "Armiger" fist and a slightly more technical wrecking ball.

Mantisking

Ok so this was fun, though I liked it better when I thought it had a plunger ( :lol: ). The use of the cleaning brush was a surprise, and I tried to replace its tools with similarish armaments, going with a kusari-gama arm (pull it in, like a vacuum, get it?) and a big huge grinder.

Starflower

The R-Katy was a nifty build that had a ton of room to expand, and it really needed to have stuff put in that bay. So I did! A certain lack of technic parts forced me to use weaker connections for the legs, and of course the all glass-front wouldn't do, and I added some vents for the missile system in the back... Ok a lot changed for a lot of reasons, but I'm glad I got to build one.

The Hydromancer

Arms for days indeed. Hydromancer's Scrap Dragon has an almost mixel like feel to its strange combination of industrial machinery and animal architecture. The steam shovel tail, wrecker arms, and billowing stack all combine for an wonderful, "Alice In Wonderland" construction site. I wanted to keep the squared off look of the original arms and add in some needed articulation, so I went with an old fusion-edge design, and with the LEGO Splitter Beast on my desk next to me...

Valtarshol

Valtarshol presented us with a case study in skeletonizing frames with an industrial variant of one of his previous frames. Unfortunately, that also meant it had a bunch of unusual parts I don't have. I tried to keep some of the more recognizable elements without just returning it to a jitterbox design.

Vitor Faria

This is just a seriously cool frame. The simple, understated chicken-walker legs will certainly solve problems for me into the future, and Vitor combines unexpected parts use (the propeller housing) with a strong command of structure and shape despite a very low part count. I tried to mess it up as little as possible to make it into a fighter-bomber styled frame, and I can't help but feel the slightly lower arms detract from the original look. Oh well.

Mercutio

This was an interesting design that prominently used a very strangely shaped piece. I really wanted to preserve the head protrusions, and it made me consider what they could even be for if this were a real-life mech. They'd have to be a sensor system of some sort, to project so far out, right? (...right...?) With that in mind I tried to keep them as a d6Y system by replicating the shape as best as I could with crystals (also Mantisking had just put up a picture of something that used them on the Discord channel, maybe I was primed). Since I had already committed to building around spot, I just went the rest of the way with a light scout design rather than original semi-industrial armed look.

Personzz~

Finally, Personzz~ presented us with a theme park mascot. To me the frame read not as an articulated, shark-headed mascot frame, but rather as a smaller frame wearing a shark costume. (The red dot would have been the cockpit "eye"). The shark element and arms were the mecha equivalent of a wacky-inflatable-waving-arm guy... shark. In that vein, I went for a smaller, complete frame with shark styling wearing a big articulated shark attack system that would work something like a scorpion's tail.
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Re: Total War Appreciation Tour

Postby EvilGod » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:13 pm

wow
just wow
EvilGod
Talkative

Postby Artasid » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:42 pm

HOLY MOTHER POOP IN A PITA :shock: :shock: :shock:

It's amazing what kind of difference you can make to a frame with just a few flipped pieces.... We are not worthy.
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:52 pm

Haha, I predicted you would do something along those lines, but you went way beyond what I could imagine! :D

I love how they each are immediately recognizable as versions of our frames but still shine with your usual, personal style.

If you can take a suggestion, those would look great in a group shot!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby skrob » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:08 pm

Wish I'd entered mine in time ;_;

These are amazing BTW.
skrob
Talkative

Postby soriansj » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:33 pm

Everything 2nded... Speechless and dumbfounded, otherwise... in all the good senses of those words.... wow!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
"Fear not the Defigo Hound that has picked up your scent. Fear the Master coming right behind it.
soriansj
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Atavism » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:42 pm

EvilGod wrote:wow
just wow

It's like right now.

Artasid wrote:HOLY MOTHER POOP IN A PITA :shock: :shock: :shock:

It's amazing what kind of difference you can make to a frame with just a few flipped pieces.... We are not worthy.

I'm torn between correcting you and basking in it...
Ok yeah. You're all worthy. That's the point! These frames are because of you (all of you) and your ideas! Thank you guys!

VitorFaria wrote:Haha, I predicted you would do something along those lines, but you went way beyond what I could imagine! :D

I love how they each are immediately recognizable as versions of our frames but still shine with your usual, personal style.

If you can take a suggestion, those would look great in a group shot!

I'll try to do a group next time I'm taking pictures. Which is probably soon the way your octopus is shaping up. You may have noticed, but if you reorganize the frames you get four small companies, which was my original plan for group shots. There wasn't really any cohesive theme or reason for the groups though, besides having colored them whatever way, so I ditched the idea and let each one shine on its own.

Otherwise, I'm glad you liked the builds. I would say something like, "I'll have to try to be less predictable," but whatever. I like what I do, and I just really like messing with other people's builds.

skrob wrote:Wish I'd entered mine in time ;_;

These are amazing BTW.

Sorry bud, and thank you for the compliment.

I did download the LDD for it from FB though, so we'll see if I can't put something together once I'm done with the prize builds.

soriansj wrote:Everything 2nded... Speechless and dumbfounded, otherwise... in all the good senses of those words.... wow!

Thank you very much. :D
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby skrob » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:18 am

Atavism wrote:
skrob wrote:Wish I'd entered mine in time ;_;

These are amazing BTW.

Sorry bud, and thank you for the compliment.

I did download the LDD for it from FB though, so we'll see if I can't put something together once I'm done with the prize builds.

Neat. I'm curious to see how well it holds up in the brick, if you do decide to build it.

edit: The new LDD file with the tweaks to the arms and the gun: http://tinyurl.com/gvzvsgr
skrob
Talkative

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:13 am

I would say something like, "I'll have to try to be less predictable," but whatever. I like what I do, and I just really like messing with other people's builds.

If the prediction is "Atavism is going to build some cool stuff" I want you to be as predictable as possible. :D
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Starflower » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:50 am

I just love what you've done with all these frames (and how!)
And this way everyone got a prize, really.
So great!
Starflower
Young Gun

Postby Valtarshol » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:31 am

Hah, nice! Excellent takes on all the submissions!

I'm really not surprised you didn't have parts for the Jitterbox, honestly, it's a mess. I tried to price one out and it averaged almost $35. Excellent job making it with significantly more conventional and available parts!
Valtarshol
Been Around The Block

Postby personzz~ » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:35 am

yee! awesome to see what you did with the shark, giving the long articulated giraffe neck imma bite you! and gratz everyone, it was awesome.
Image XD HAHAHAHA, of course, BOOM d8Ra
personzz~
Chatty

Postby Atavism » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:00 pm

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

For a few late entries:

Skrob

Skrob's Bricklayer was a cool, space-marine sort of design that featured some really great architecture. I really wanted to preserve the big longness of the thing sticking off his back, but I was having a hard time making a melee system that looked like it could reach an enemy frame and wasn't also designed by Rube-Goldberg. I wanted to put one of those printed eye bricks in the cockpit too, but the handlebar thing came up too high and you couldn't see the eyes anyway.

Zerovirus

The Alpaca Patrol was a lot of fun. I have no idea how to build them nor could I possibly have the parts, so I improvised heavily. The big packs screamed for rocket tubes, so here we are. Also, Giraffes. :lol:

Starflower wrote:I just love what you've done with all these frames (and how!)
And this way everyone got a prize, really.
So great!

Valtarshol wrote:Hah, nice! Excellent takes on all the submissions!

I'm really not surprised you didn't have parts for the Jitterbox, honestly, it's a mess. I tried to price one out and it averaged almost $35. Excellent job making it with significantly more conventional and available parts!

personzz~ wrote:yee! awesome to see what you did with the shark, giving the long articulated giraffe neck imma bite you! and gratz everyone, it was awesome.

VitorFaria wrote:
If the prediction is "Atavism is going to build some cool stuff" I want you to be as predictable as possible. :D

Hey, thanks everybody! I'm glad you like the builds.
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:16 am

Woah, nice shielding and artillery piece! And that clear orange part really stands out!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Atavism » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:46 pm

VitorFaria wrote:Woah, nice shielding and artillery piece! And that clear orange part really stands out!

Thanks! I figured it was time to rip off those 2x6 clip tile shields from you.
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby pepitosegrilla » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:02 pm

I Like very much Personzz's frame (I assume the shark is there just because he can put it there :-D, but the frame is very nicely rendered. I also like Soriansj's one, it's right hand specially. And Vitor Faria's flying drone, I love those kind of builds
pepitosegrilla
Chatty

Return to Frame Designs