Single Set Challenge: Mixels, Series 8

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Single Set Challenge: Mixels, Series 8

Postby darksyntax » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:07 pm

My Single Set Challenge builds from the Series 8 Mixels.

First is the MCFD

Left to right:
Cannoneer 41563 d6W d6W d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra d6B
Scout Tick 41564 d6W d6W d6Rh d6Rh d6B d6B d6Y d8G
UAF (urban assault frame) 41556 d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B d6G

Thoughts:
41563 - Some interesting pieces and lots of clips/handles, but short on Mixel joints. FOUR HEADLIGHTS.
41564 - A good amount of curves, tiles, and brackets, but short on clips/handles and Mixel joints.
41565 - Lots of clips and two of those bars/fence pieces everyone seemed to like on my 41555 SSC.

Next are the Pyrratz

Left to right:
Bird Shark 41566 d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d6Y
Pirate 41567 d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d6Rh d6Rh d6B d6Y
Pack Mule 41558 d6W d6W d6Ra d6Ra d6Y d6Y d6G

Thoughts:
41566 - Asymmetrical sets are tough to SSC. Lots of curves and a fair amount of SNOT bricks. If you picked up some 14417 Mixel joints off a PaB Wall over the summer, there are Qty5 of 14704 in this set to match them up with.
41567 - Some good curves and a couple Mixel joints, but again the asymmetry is a killer. Some whacky pieces that probably won't get much use, but there's a huge sword and a flag. I did manage a crappy but functional station with the shell and flag.
41568 - A crappy box with some un-useful legs. A reasonable amount of clips/handles and some double-ended Mixels joint pieces. My least favorite set of Series 8.

And last are the Medix

Left to right:
Medic 41563 d6W d6W d6Ra d6Ra d6Rh d6Rh d6B d6G
Minty Fresh* 41564 d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d6B
Corpsman 41556 d6W d6W d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh d6B d6G d8G
* my wife said it looked like it had toothpaste stripes

Thoughts:
41563 - Surprisingly good parts list for a "box Mixel". Some Mixel joints (again Qty4 14704's if you picked up some 14417's on a PaB Wall) and clips, and some new-headlight bricks.
41564 - Plates, plates, and more plates... and a large window. No. But there are a few clips/bars and the 2x2 round jumpers are good. The studs to the side frame build here is not very good, but it works.
41565 - My favorite set of Series 8. Clips/bars, Mixel joints, curves, tiles, boatstuds, and 2 ice axes! I struggled with the legs on the frame build, but once I had them, I really liked them.
- The Medix all come with 4x4 plates (41569 has 2, and 41670 also has a 4x4 round plate) for easy station bases. While I didn't get a station from any of the individual Medix, you could probably get a station from the pooled leftover parts.

General thoughts:
My goal as I sat down with all of these sets was to get a humanoid biped from all of them. Some of the builds aren't great and some proved impossible. Some of these were really good for MFZ (looking at you Medix), but some of the designs are getting too specialized and not as useful as parts packs (Hydro, Lewt, Skulzy). Colors are generally good with lots of white/black/grey and the red should fold into anyone's collection, but the brown from the Pyrratz didn't work for me; too many one-off pcs and not enough of it.

C&C solicited as always!
darksyntax
Mod Team

Re: Single Set Challenge: Mixels, Series 8

Postby EvilGod » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:33 am

wow
great work as always. the winners for me are the Cannoneer, the Pirate and the Corpsman.
If you grabbed only those models, they would fit together in one compay as a white/red army (eg. Red Cross?) although they are different tribes.

Special mention goes to the Medic: chubbier than the Chub ;)

sadly, in Austria/Carinthia the Series 8 was not shipped to any shops I can reach :cry:
EvilGod
Talkative

Postby Fr33land » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:30 am

Mixers are slated to be discontinued and are on sale in North America at any rate. Perhaps they can be ordered online. I picked up 7 packs for 5 CAN $ each just yesterday. It has exploded the number of possible builds by an outrageous amount.
Fr33land
Young Gun

Postby Lorc » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:26 pm

Impressive as always. Thoughts on some of my favourites:

Your Splasho build has great lines, especially the curve across its shoulders. With the colour blocking and the nose cannon it looks like something from a cartoon.

The Hydro UAF really looks the part. The black feet and hands make it look "real", and even the tyres don't look out of place. Tiny flashes of yellow give it a sense of scale to my eyes. And good job with those gate pieces again.

The Pyrratz are... not good SSC sets. But your Sharx is a sleek little number. And that's a good pseudo-Chub from Skulzy. That station's better than you're giving it credit for too.

Your Medix look like a neat little company ready to roll. Surgeo/Medic has a well-shaped torso and an interesting head. Minty Fresh has that unusual sideways torso and a really nice gun - it looks like some kind of offensive caulking weapon - and the stripes are a good look. Tuth is another of your pseudo-Chubs, and I only just realised that it's built upside-down!

Like you, Tuth is my favourite set of this series. Possibly my favourite mixel ever. Such a solid, cute build with excellent parts.
Lorc
Talkative

Postby darksyntax » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:04 pm

EvilGod wrote:wow great work as always.

Lorc wrote:Impressive as always.

Thanks!

Lorc wrote:The black feet and hands make it look "real", and even the tyres don't look out of place. Tiny flashes of yellow give it a sense of scale to my eyes.

Not black hands; yellow hands holding guns. Speaking of the guns, this has become a bit of a go-to weapon for Mixel SSCs that include a Nixel. Most of the Nixels are now of the design that first appeared in the Series 4 Orbitons set. The one with the 2x 4735 and 2921. The Pirate has the same basic gun.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby AnnoyedZebra » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:40 pm

Icepicks make me think of trotsky
AnnoyedZebra
Young Gun

Postby Jagarmot » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:40 pm

Your Medic is a great looking simili-chub, don't let the corpsman steal the spotlight with its superior set list :-)
Jagarmot
Talkative

Postby AnnoyedZebra » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:51 am

Honestly I think Minty Fresh is the best frame because of its unique design and good shaping
AnnoyedZebra
Young Gun

Postby darksyntax » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:13 am

Jagarmot wrote:Your Medic is a great looking simili-chub...

Thanks!
AnnoyedZebra wrote:Honestly I think Minty Fresh is the best frame because of its unique design and good shaping

Thanks! I don't think I've ever built a frame "studs-sideways" before. This one was completely out of necessity; I don't think I'd choose it, but it works well enough here. I think being able to get symmetrical arms and legs helped a good deal.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:44 am

Those are all great!

The pirate gave me some interesting joint ideas!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Return to Frame Designs