QuadMon

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

QuadMon

Postby Artasid » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:45 am

These are still a work in progress, but I liked them enough in their current state to share.

Now presenting...

THE QUADMON!!!

ImageQuadMon Basic Core
BASIC: d6G Quad Legs, d8G No ranged weaponry

This one, (which is my favorite at the moment, love the color mix) is just the basic design with no systems, other than the standard quad legs. I was half tempted to make a company of this specific design, but it lacked an imposing silhouette, so I decided to mess around and came out with other variants.

ImageQuadMon Red
RED: d6B d6B Defensive Bow armor, d6G Quad Legs, d8G No ranged weaponry

ImageQuadMon LtGreen
LTGREEN: d6Y d6Y Dual Antenna Relays, d6G Quad Legs, d6G Suction Pads, d8G No ranged weaponry

ImageQuadMon Yellow
YELLOW: d6Y d6Y Dual Sonar Arrays, d6G Quad Legs, d8G No ranged weaponry

ImageQuadMon Orange
ORANGE: d6Ra d6Ra Artillery Mortar, d6Y Radar Dish, d6B Frontal Armor Plate, d6G Quad Legs.

Again, these are still a work in progress, but I hope you enjoyed them.
As usual, I eagerly await any thoughts, comments, questions and/or suggestions you wish to share.
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Re: QuadMon

Postby VitorFaria » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:55 pm

I really like the suction cup feet, nice idea for a movement system!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Shades_Corvid » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:12 am

Nice job!
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Artasid » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:30 pm

VitorFaria wrote:I really like the suction cup feet, nice idea for a movement system!

Shades_Corvid wrote:Nice job!

Thanks guys!

Sorry for the long absence, I've been busy, but hopefully, my newest company will make up for it. Introducing the QuadMon Company: JADES

ImageQuadMon Company "Jades"

ImageQuadMon Jade 1
Jade 1: d6Ra d6Ra Railgun, d6Y Sensor Dish, d6G Quad Legs

I like this one because the Railgun can swing up and down, (And even aim backwards lol). Again, not much impact on gameplay, just a decorative feature.

ImageQuadMon Jade 2
Jade 2: d6Rd d6Rd Top Cannon, d6B d6B Dual Countermeasure pods, d6G Quad Legs

I'm a bit disappointed in the direct range weapon on this one. Think it could be imporved, but I currently lacking ideas on how to do so at the moment.

ImageQuadMon Jade 3
Jade 3: d6Rd d6Rd Beamer, d6Y Radio Antenna, d6B Countermeasure pod, d6G Quad Legs

I ran out of the black archs for this build, so I went in a slightly different direction with it's torso. Not a bad attempt in my opinion though. Will improve it once pieces become more available.

ImageQuadMon Jade 4
Jade 4: d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd Dual Top Cannons, d6G Quad Legs

My previously unequipped basic core unit now with weapons. Still my overall favorite.

ImageQuadMon Jade 5
Jade 5: d6Y d6Y Dual frontal Floodlamps, d6G Quad Legs, d6G Suction pad feet, d8Rr d8Rr d8Rr Head-mounted Triple Purple SSRs d8G No ranged weaponry

I remember somewhere there was an archetype with 3 SSR's that was referred to as 'Missile Monkey'. Thought I'd make my own. Of course I can't help but feel that with it's insectoid like legs, maybe I should call this 'Missle Spider-Monkey'? lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, hope you enjoyed and I am still eagerly awaiting your thoughts, comments, questions, insights ect.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:27 pm

I actually really like the direct fire system on the jade 2, subdued guns can work great and let the visuals of the frame speak for themselves.

If I am to nitpick, those SSRs are a little too garish for me. I know they're supposed to be easy to see, but purple on grey, on top of a green and black frame, is just too much. Maybe the use of black taps instead of the grey ones would alleviate this?
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:11 pm

VitorFaria wrote:If I am to nitpick, those SSRs are a little too garish for me. I know they're supposed to be easy to see, but purple on grey, on top of a green and black frame, is just too much. Maybe the use of black taps instead of the grey ones would alleviate this?

I do not mind a bit of nitpicking VitorFaria, lol, in fact, I actually am glad you pointed this out. Having another set of eyes to point out my flaws only helps me improve, and I thank you for that.

Whenever I make a company, as a rule of thumb to myself, I always try to make the SSR's stand out distinctively from the rest of the frame, and the easiest way I discovered is to simply use a different color, one that stands out, so you are correct in that it's supposed to be easy to see. Though I suppose the gray does offset the look a bit.

As per your request, I have gone ahead and switched the tabs out to black for a more complete color theme.

ImageQuadMon Jade 5 with Chub

The Chub is there for a size comparison, just in case anyone was wondering about the scale.

Hope this is more appealing for you VitorFaria, and if not, then I will try again.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:24 pm

I see you also changed the neon orange stud for another non-neon one, really nice, the color scheme is rock solid now!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:41 am

So I was sitting at my desk one day with my Jade Company staring at me.
"What?"
I asked them, expecting some kind of answer to their silent vigil, but alas, I received no reply.

They mock me with their silentness. Standing on my desk on their quad feet thinking they are better then me because I only have two...

Then I got an idea: Alternate legs for the QuadMon's! Although the originals are still very good in my opinion, I thought it might be fun to kinda mix things up a bit, so I managed to construct a few alternates.

ALT 1
ImageQuadMon Alternate Leg build 1
ALT 1: d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh Dual Knee Mounted Impalers, d6G Quad Legs, d6G Suction Feet, d8G No ranged weaponry

This one is a bit taller than the others, but it cuts down the usage of the T pieces and the travis brick. I thought it might also be unique if it was able to carry a type of weapon systems on it's legs. It looks weird, but not all together bad. I'll let you judge for yourselves.

ALT 2
ImageQuadMon Alternate Leg build 2
ALT 2: d6Ra d6Ra Artillery Howitzer, d6G Quad Legs

I really like this one because it's compact size just makes it look OH SO DAMN CUTE!!! Sure it again, uses T pieces and Travis bricks, but the little claws gives it a more scurrying ant like appearance that I just can't fully disregard.

ALT 3
ImageQuadMon Alternate Leg build 3
ALT 3: d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd Dual Direct Cannons, d6Y High-Intensity Floodlamp, d6G Quad Legs

This one is a bit of a toss up. Again, no T pieces or Travis, but the half technic plug used to hold the upper torso to the legs, makes the legs, (or upper torso, depending on what your holding) spin and is not very stable, on the other hand, it does provide an appealing profile. Again, a tough call.

Hope you enjoyed and I am still eager to hear any thoughts you wish to share.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:00 pm

I wonder how would it look like if you removed the lower part of the legs of the first variation all together and made it walk over the core of the impalers. Like they were big feet with a spike on the front.
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:41 pm

VitorFaria wrote:I wonder how would it look like if you removed the lower part of the legs of the first variation all together and made it walk over the core of the impalers. Like they were big feet with a spike on the front.

Ask and tho shall receive. lol.
In all honesty, I was not exactly sure what you were suggesting, but I went ahead and made 2 variants that I hope are close to what you had in mind.

ImageAlternate Leg Request 1

ImageAlternate Leg Request 2

If I seriously missed the mark here, please let me know so I can make corrections.

Again, I am eager to hear your thoughts, comments, questions ect.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby gusindor » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:42 am

Artasid wrote: the half technic plug used to hold the upper torso to the legs, makes the legs, (or upper torso, depending on what your holding) spin and is not very stable, on the other hand, it does provide an appealing profile. Again, a tough call.

I'd need to see the core of the build to be sure, but I'll bet you can find a way to fit a 1x1 technic brick in the middle, which would let connect the core to the legs with a 2-length friction peg, which would make the waist much more stable. If you have the parts, you could also try using a towball peg and sticking an end towball plate somewhere in the body, which would make it a bit taller but get you both stability and a lot more poseability.

Artasid wrote:In all honesty, I was not exactly sure what you were suggesting, but I went ahead and made 2 variants that I hope are close to what you had in mind.

I'm not sure what VitorFaria intended, but to me the first variant looks a little goofy. The second one looks really neat though!
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Artasid » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:58 am

gusindor wrote:I'd need to see the core of the build to be sure, but I'll bet you can find a way to fit a 1x1 technic brick in the middle, which would let connect the core to the legs with a 2-length friction peg, which would make the waist much more stable.

A 2-length friction peg would work! I actually didn't think of that. THANK YOU! (Gawd... Brainfart!)

gusindor wrote:I'm not sure what VitorFaria intended, but to me the first variant looks a little goofy. The second one looks really neat though!

Yeah, the first one is not my favorite. Those claw tipped feet are just so out of proportion with the rest of the build. But I do agree the second one is better. Trying to make quad legs that are unique in design are actually kind of a challenge, which is not at all a bad thing. I may have more alternates up when I have the available time to brick them.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:01 am

What I really meant was pretty much the goofy first variation, but with the cheese wedges where the 1x2 slopes are. :D

Yeah, might have not worked as I imagined it would. Might play with the idea with my spiders and see if I get it to work.
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby kingodacheez » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:22 am

Really like the stance and colors of Alt 3.
The mounting points for the cannons appear as though different weapons or systems could be easily changed out.
kingodacheez
Young Gun

Postby Artasid » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:02 pm

VitorFaria wrote:What I really meant was pretty much the goofy first variation, but with the cheese wedges where the 1x2 slopes are. :D

Yeah, might have not worked as I imagined it would. Might play with the idea with my spiders and see if I get it to work.

I'm sorry it didn't work out too well. But don't let it discourage you. I would very much like to see how your spiders turn out once you get finished fiddling around with them.

kingodacheez wrote:Really like the stance and colors of Alt 3.
The mounting points for the cannons appear as though different weapons or systems could be easily changed out.

I generally try to make my frames with ease of system changing in mind (well, nowadays anyway. It was a different story when I first started and I realized my errors and am now imporiving on it). Plus it makes it easier for gameplay when you can just 'pop' the system right off when the frame receives damage instead of having to take the whole build apart just to remove one piece. And yes, this particular design does have several mounting points, but the cannons in this case are actually connected differently than you might expect (mainly cuz of the angle of the picture.)
Here's one to clearify.

ImageAlternate Leg Build 3 Rear
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Artasid » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:31 pm

God it's been ages since I've added to this post, well fear not. Recently I was going over some of my older builds and I recently created a QuadMon prototype: IT HAS ARMS!!

ImageArmed QuadMon

I have decided no to give this one any systems as its more of test to see where I can go with the design. I'm liking where it's going though.

I hope you enjoyed and as always, I eagerly await any and all comments you wish to share.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:30 am

Always loved the Quadmon, nice to see a comeback to it!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Return to Frame Designs